Hillsboro High School (Illinois)
|Hillsboro High School|
The front of the main building.
|522 E. Tremont St.
Hillsboro, Illinois 62049
|School type||public secondary|
|Opened||1921 (replaced municipal high school)|
|School district||Hillsboro CUSD|
|Superintendent||Mr. David Powell|
|Principal||Ms. Janet Ward|
|Campus||small city in rural area|
|School colour(s)||Orange& Black|
|Athletics conference||South Central|
Hillsboro High School (HHS) is a coed public high school located in Hillsboro, Illinois (Pop. 6,207 2010 Census)  the county seat of Montgomery County, Illinois, in the United States. HHS is part of the Hillsboro Community Unit School District 3.
In 1920, it was determined that the existing city high school on Fairground Ave. was no longer acceptable. After reorganizing the school's district, the decision was made to build a new school. The contract for the building designed by architect J. W. Kennedy was awarded on June 22, 1920 at a cost of about $250,000. The construction of the "new" Hillsboro High School was begun in 1920, and the school opened in the fall of 1921.
Sitting atop a hill located at 522 East Tremont Street, the north-facing red brick building is surrounded by trees. Through the years, into at least the mid-1960s, the campus was often named as the most beautiful in Illinois.
The agriculture building was added in the 1950s to the east of the gym, and the library/cafeteria building opened in 1962 just southeast of the main building.
In 2010, Hillsboro High school had an average Act score of 19.6 with a graduation rate of 95.4 percent of their Senior class (which is higher than the state average of 87.8 percent). Since 2010, the school has failed to meet federal education standards set by No Child Left Behind even though in some years the school exceeds some statewide figures. The average class size is 19.6, which is smaller than the Illinois state average of 21.2.
Hillsboro High has Advanced Placement programs in Calculus, Chemistry, English Literature/ Composition, and History . On the PSAE examination of 11th graders, Hillsboro scored in the 52nd percentile of Illinois schools with 49.1 percent of the students passing. This translates to a 26.4 percent college readiness score. 
Departments & Programs
HHS Departments (& Courses)
HHS Departments (cont.)
Student organizations & activities
Interscholastic athletics & activities
Hillsboro High School sponsors teams known as the Hiltoppers that compete as members of the Illinois High School Association and the South Central Conference. The team colors are orange and black and the school mascot is the Hiltopper (a mountaineer with a pick and coil of rope ). 
Fight song (To the tune of Illinois Loyalty)
We’re loyal to you HHS
We’re orange and black HHS
We’ll back you to stand, against the best in the land
For we know you have sand HHS, yes yes
So crack out that ball HHS
We’re backing you all HHS
Our team is our fame protector
On boys for we expect a victory from you HHS, yes yes
Che Cha-Cha ha ha
Che Cha-Cha ha ha
Che Cha-Cha ha ha
Hillsboro, Hillsboro, Hillsboro
Fling out that dear old flag of orange and black
We are the sons and daughters fighting for you
Like men of old on giants, placing reliance, shouting defiance,
Amid those broad green fields that nourish our land,
For honest labor and for learning we stand
And onto thee we pledge our hearts and hands.
Dear Alma Mater, HHS
Average administration staff salary: $85,623
Operating expenditure for instruction: $7,229,297
Operating expenditure for supporting services: $4,499,483
Operating expenditure for administration: $459,950
Limited English Proficient students: 0.2%
White students: 96.2%
Black students: 1.5%
Hispanic students: 1.7%
Asian students: 1.2%
Native American students: 0.0%
2 or more race students: 0.2%
Chronic truants: 30
Chronic truants rate: 5.8%
- Brian Graden - television executive, MTV, VH1
- Mary Hartline - model and television personality, Super Circus
- Matt Hughes – two-time state champion wrestler; retired mixed martial artist, former Ultimate Fighting Championship Welterweight Champion, UFC Hall of Fame member
- Harold Osborn – gold medal winner in the 1924 Summer Olympics in both the decathlon and high jump
- / Hillsboro High School home page. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- Hillsboro School District Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- / The Hillsboro Guide. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- / Hillsboro Home Page Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- http://webprod.isbe.net/ereportcard/publicsite/getReport.aspx?year=2013&code=1006800300001_e.pdf Retrieved December 3, 2013
- / Advanced Placement Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- / Tribune Report Card Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- http://www.hillsboroschools.net/schools/hhs/academics/academics.htm Retrieved December 3, 2013
- http://www.hillsboroschools.net/schools/hhs/athletics/sports/0506schedules/index.htm Retrieved November 29, 2013
- Football Archive IHSA Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- Basketball Archive IHSA Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- School-data.com Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- "Matt Hughes UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.