Das at the 2018 World U20 Championships
|Native name||হিমা দাস|
|Born||9 January 2000|
Dhing, Nagaon, Assam, India
|Height||167 cm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||52 kg (115 lb)|
|Sport||Track and field|
|Coached by||Nipon Das|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||100 m – 11.74 (2018)|
200 m – 23.10 (2018)
400 m – 50.79 (2018)
|Updated on 30 August 2018.|
Hima Das (born 9 January 2000), nicknamed the Dhing Express, is an Indian sprint runner from the state of Assam. She holds the current Indian national record in 400 metres with a timing of 50.79 s that she clocked at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta, Indonesia. She is the first Indian athlete to win a gold medal in a track event at the IAAF World U20 Championships.
Hima Das was born at Kandhulimari village, near the town of Dhing in the state of Assam to Ronjit and Jonali Das. Her parents are basically farmers. She is the youngest of five children. She attended the Dhing Public high School and was initially interested in playing football. She played football with the boys at her school and had always wanted to pursue a career in football. However, she did not see any prospects for herself in women's football in India. Later, upon advice from a school teacher, she changed to sprint running.
In April 2018, Das competed in the 2018 Commonwealth Games at Gold coast, Australia, in the 400 metres and the 4×400 metres relay. In the 400 metres, Das reached the final where she finished sixth in a time of 51.32 seconds, 1.17 seconds behind gold medalist Amantle Montsho from Botswana. In the 4×400 metres relay she was part of the Indian team that finished seventh in the final, with a time of 3 minutes and 33.61 seconds.
On 12 July 2018, Das won the 400 m final at the World U-20 Championships 2018 held at Tampere, Finland, clocking 51.46 seconds and becoming the first Indian sprinter to win a gold medal at an international track event. Having run a slower first half, Das accelerated on the last 100 meter stretch, overtaking three competitors.
At the 2018 Asian Games, Das qualified for the 400 m final, after clocking 51.00 in heat 1 and setting a new Indian national record. On 26 August 2018, she improved the national record to 50.79 s in the 400 m final to win the silver medal. On 30 August 2018, she, along with M. R. Poovamma, Sarita Gayakwad and V. K. Vismaya won the women's 4 × 400 metres relay clocking 3:28.72. Earlier on the same day, Das failed to qualify for the final of the 200 metres race, due to a false start in a semifinal. Hima also won a silver medal in the 4×400 m mixed relay, which was held for the first time at Asian Games.
Awards and accolades
- Conferred with Arjuna Award by the President of India on 25 September 2018.
- Appointed as the India's first ever youth ambassador of UNICEF-India on 14 November 2018.
- Appointed as the Assam’s brand ambassador for sports by the Government of Assam.
- Loiwal, Manogya (23 July 2018) Hima Das: Tracing star sprinter's journey from Assam's rice fields to global stardom – Sports News. India Today.
- "Hima Das". Glasgow Commonwealth Games. Archived from the original on 12 June 2018.
- Hima Das. asiangames2018.id
- Hima DAS at IAAF
- Selvaraj, Jonathan (6 March 2018). "Hima Das' meteoric rise from an Assam village to the Gold Coast". ESPN. Archived from the original on 13 July 2018. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- Chakravarti, Neelav. A footballer turned athlete: The incredible story of Hima Das. Khel Now. Retrieved on 5 September 2018.
- "Results are out: Hima Das juggles training & studies, secures first division in her 12th board exams". The Economic Times. 25 May 2019. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Result – Women's 400m Final". Glasgow Commonwealth Games. Archived from the original on 15 April 2018. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Result – Women's 4 x 400m Relay Final". Glasgow Commonwealth Games. Archived from the original on 15 April 2018. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Hima Wins Historic Gold for India". Hotstar. 13 July 2018. Archived from the original on 13 July 2018. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "Assam's Hima Das breaks national record". time8.in. 25 August 2018.
- "Hima Das wins 400m silver in national record time". The Economic Times. 26 August 2018.
- Asian Games: Indian Mixed 4x400m Relay Team Bags Silver Medal. The Quint (Updated 29 August 2018)
- "Adidas signs endorsement deal with athlete Hima Das". www.businesstoday.in. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- Tamang, Sylvester (25 September 2018) Virat Kohli, Mirabai Chanu Conferred Khel Ratna; Neeraj Chopra, Hima Das Get Arjuna Award. sports.ndtv.com
- Singh, Bikash (14 July 2018) 'Golden Girl' Hima Das to be made Assam's sports brand ambassador. The Economic Times.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hima Das.|