Hobart High School (Indiana)
|Hobart High School|
2211 East 10th Street
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||School City of Hobart|
|Teaching staff||57.50 (on an FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||23.01|
|Fight song||"Our Boys will Shine Tonight" sung to the tune of the Washington and Lee Swing|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Crossroads Conference|
|Rivals||Valparaiso High School|
Merrillville High School
Andrean High School
The graduating class of 2009 was the first class to graduate from the school's new building at 2211 East 10th Street. The old high school, located at 36 East 8th Street, has now become the middle school.
The school is located approximately 35 miles from Chicago.
The demographic breakdown of the 1,323 students enrolled for the 2015-2016 school year was as follows:
- Male - 49.5%
- Female - 50.5%
- Native American - 0.5%
- Asian/Pacific islander - 0.6%
- Black - 7.5%
- Hispanic - 22.8%
- White - 65.8%
- Multiracial - 2.8%
The sports teams at Hobart High School are known as the "Brickies", a name derived from the brick yards that were historically located in Hobart and employed many people in the area. The school mascot is a bricklayer named Yohann. Uniform colors are Purple and Gold. Sports offered include:
- Baseball (boys)
- Basketball (boys and girls)
- Cross Country (boys and girls)
- Boys state champs - 1957, 1960.
- Football (boys)
- State champs - 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993.
- Golf (boys and girls)
- Gymnastics (girls)
- State champs - 2004.
- Soccer (boys and girls)
- Softball (girls)
- Swimming (boys and girls)
- Tennis (boys and girls)
- Track (boys and girls)
- Volleyball (girls)
- Wrestling (boys)
- Larry Bigbie - Former MLB player for the Baltimore Orioles, Colorado Rockies and St. Louis Cardinals
- Bob Kuechenberg - Former NFL All-Pro lineman for the Miami Dolphins
- Rudy Kuechenberg - Former NFL linebacker for the Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers and Atlanta Falcons
- Dale Messick - Commercial artist and creator of Brenda Starr
- Gary Primich - Blues musician
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Hobart High School". ed.gov. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "AdvancED - Institution Summary". advanc-ed.org. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "Class of 2009 first to graduate at new Hobart High School". nwi.com. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- "2017-18 IHSAA School Directory" (pdf). IHSAA.org. IHSAA. p. 66. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "All-Time IHSAA State Championships by School" (PDF). Ihsaa.org. IHSAA. July 11, 2018. Retrieved 12 July 2018.