|Rapid transit and commuter rail|
Platform at Holstenstraße station.
|Line(s)|| Hamburg S-Bahn
AKN railway plc.
|Platforms||2 (island platform)|
|Opened||1 May 1893|
|Electrified||29 January 1908
1200 volts DC system Third rail
|Previous names||1893-1938 Altona Holstenstraße|
Holstenstraße is a railway station in Hamburg, Germany, located in the quarter Altona-Nord in the borough Altona. It is a station for the rapid transit trains of the city railway and the commuter trains of the AKN railway plc (AKN). The station is managed by the DB Station&Service.
The station is directly beside the musical theatre Neue Flora and near the beer brewery of the Holsten Brewery plc. In 2005 the railway station was in the media because at its bus stop people believed to have eavesdropped three men planning a terrorist attack. This caused a massive police investigation.
In 1893, the station was built elevated, as an alternate for the at-grade station called Schulterblatt at the current location. The station was part of the link line from Hamburg central station to Altona central station. During the bombing of Hamburg in World War II in 1943, the station building was destroyed and provisionally rebuild. In the end of the 1980s, the Station was completely renovated, with a new platform building and entrance.
Holstenstraße is an elevated railway station with an island platform and two tracks. There is no personnel attending the station, but SOS and information telephones and ticket machines are available. Through a lift the station is accessible for handicapped persons.
Tracks of the long distance and regional trains are separated, these trains do not stop at Holstenstraße station.
The station is served by the line S11, S21 and S31 of the Hamburg S-Bahn, and the line A1 of the AKN. The city trains calls the station every 5 to 10 minutes in the rush hours. On weekdays the service stops around midnight and starts at 4 a.m. On weekend nights the city trains are calling the station round-the-clock every 30 minutes. The AKN commuter trains are calling the station only during the rush hours.
|Preceding station||Hamburg S-Bahn||Following station|
|Preceding station||AKN Eisenbahn||Following station|
- Eisenbahnatlas Deutschland (German railway atlas) (2009/2010 ed.). Schweers + Wall. 2009. ISBN 978-3-89494-139-0.
- "Stationspreisliste 2017" [Station price list 2017] (PDF) (in German). DB Station&Service. 18 November 2016. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- Fare Zone Plan (PDF), Hamburger Verkehrsverbund, archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-01-17, retrieved 2009-03-18
- (PDF) (in German), Berlin: DB Station&Service, 2008 http://www.db.de/site/shared/de/dateianhaenge/infomaterial/sonstige/bahnhofskategorieliste__2008.pdf, retrieved 2009-03-26 Missing or empty
|title=(help)[permanent dead link]
- Hamburg Police Release Terror Suspects DW-WORLD.DE (27.08.2005) Retrieved on June 7, 2008
- Höltge, Dieter; Kochems, Michael (2008), Straßen- und Stadtbahnen in Deutschland (in German), Band 11: Hamburg, Freiburg: EisenbahnKurier, p. 36, ISBN 978-3-88255-392-5
- Borchers, Jan; Heimann, Martin; Pischek, Wolfgang (2002), Die Hamburg S-Bahn (in German), Munich: GeraMond, p. 22, ISBN 3-7654-7191-7
- DB-Konzern Halstenbek (in German), Deutsche Bahn, 2009, retrieved 2009-03-26
- Rapid Transit/Regional Rail (PDF), Hamburger Verkehrsverbund, 2008-12-14, archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-01-17, retrieved 2009-03-26
Media related to Category:Bahnhof Hamburg Holstenstraße at Wikimedia Commons