I'm Gonna Be Somebody
|"I'm Gonna Be Somebody"|
|Single by Travis Tritt|
|from the album Country Club|
|B-side||"The Road Home"|
|Released||May 24, 1990|
|Format||CD single, 7" single|
|Label||Warner Bros. Nashville 19797|
|Travis Tritt singles chronology|
"I'm Gonna Be Somebody" is a song written by Jill Colucci and Stewart Harris, and recorded by American country music artist Travis Tritt. It released in May 1990 as the third single from his debut album Country Club. It reached number 2 in the United States, while it became his second number-one hit in Canada.
The song is a moderate up-tempo describing a young male named Bobby, who lives in a lower-class community with rather difficult economical issues. Bobby is an aspiring young singer and musician whose lifelong dream is to have a successful career in the music business; however, people in his community beg to differ and advise Bobby to instead choose a more realistic source of income, as they believe a career in music is not a good option; Bobby ignores their advice and continues his quest to pursue his dreams and prove all of the nonbelievers wrong. Ten years pass before Bobby finally achieves those dreams; he is now the most successful recording artist (presumably in country music) with a top concert tour and number-one radio singles to his credit. Bobby subsequently performs a homecoming concert at the height of his career; and during his performance, he hears a singing voice coming from the front row of the audience, which is revealed to be another young male who has exactly the same dreams and ambitions that Bobby once had long ago.
The following musicians play on this track:
- Mike Brignardello – bass guitar
- Larry Byrom – acoustic guitar
- Wendell Cox – electric guitar solo
- Paul Franklin – pedal steel guitar, lap steel guitar
- Jack Holder – electric guitar
- Dana McVicker – background vocals
- Mark O'Connor – fiddle
- Bobby Ogdin – piano, keyboards
- Jim "Jimmy Joe" Ruggierre – harmonica
- Steve Turner – drums, percussion
- Reggie Young – electric guitar
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||20|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||33|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. pp. 427–428. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Country Club (cassette liner). Travis Tritt. Warner Bros. Records. 1989. 4-26094.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 1316." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. August 25, 1990. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "Travis Tritt – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Travis Tritt.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1990". RPM. December 22, 1990. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "Best of 1990: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1990. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
by Dan Seals
|RPM Country Tracks
August 25, 1990
"Next to You, Next to Me"