|Industry||Supply chain management, manufacturing planning, retail planning and operations|
|Founded||1985 (as JDA)|
|Founders||James Donald Armstrong|
Frederick M. Pakis
|Girish Rishi (CEO)|
Number of employees
|5,500 (February 2021)|
Blue Yonder (formerly JDA Software Group) is an American software and consultancy company (owned by New Mountain Capital, The Blackstone Group and Panasonic), providing supply chain management, manufacturing planning, retail planning, store operations and category management offerings headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona. The company has more than 3,000 corporate customers in the manufacturing, distribution, transportation, retail and services industries. Companies acquired over time include Yantriks, Blue Yonder, RedPrairie, i2 Technologies, Manugistics, E3, Intactix, and Arthur.
In 1985, James Donald Armstrong and Frederick M. Pakis formed the US-based JDA Software, Inc. in Cleveland, Ohio. After signing a contract with a Phoenix-based automotive retailer in 1987, all eight JDA employees relocated to headquarters in Arizona. After 10 years of operation as a privately held firm, JDA went public on March 15, 1996.
In 1998, JDA completed its first acquisition, the Arthur Retail division.
On November 5, 2009, JDA announced its intent to acquire i2 Technologies, a Dallas-based provider of supply chain management software. The acquisition was completed in January 2010. In June 2010, Dillard's Department Stores won a $246 million judgment against i2, claiming damages from use of two supply chain management systems. JDA announced efforts to reduce or reverse this judgment, noting Dillard's still used the software and had done so since 2000.
On December 21, 2012, RedPrairie with Mike Mayoras as CEO and Martin Hiscox as President and Vice Chairman, with the backing of New Mountain Capital, bought JDA Software for $1.9 billion and took it private, merging RedPrairie and JDA into one organization. The business traded under the JDA brand.
On August 8, 2016, JDA was reported to be exploring its sale to Honeywell International Inc. The sale was challenged on August 16, 2016 by The Blackstone Group, giving an alternative to JDA by offering a financing plan.
On January 30, 2017, Girish Rishi succeeded Bal Dail as CEO.
On July 23, 2020, Blue Yonder announced the acquisition of Yantriks.
- "About Us" (Press release). jda.com.
- "Blue Yonder Fact Sheet" (PDF).
- "Panasonic and Blue Yonder Extend Strategic Partnership to Accelerate the Autonomous Supply Chain". Media Center. 2020-05-20. Retrieved 2021-02-01.
- "JDA Software to Acquire Pricer AB's Intactix Subsidiary to Expand Product Suite with Space Planning Solution. - Free Online Library" (Press release). The Free Library.
- "JDA Software acquires Intactix - Phoenix Business Journal:" (Press release). Phoenix Business Journal. April 7, 2000.
- "Supply Chain Software: Manugistics Acquired by JDA" (Press release). SupplyChainDigest.
- "JDA Software Acquires E3, World's Leading Provider of Inventory Optimization Solutions" (Press release). InternetRetailer.
- "JDA Software set to buy i2 Technologies --again" (Press release). Phoenix Business Journal. November 5, 2009.
- Dignan, Larry. "Dillard's wins $246 million in damages vs. JDA, i2". ZDNet. Retrieved 2021-03-26.
- "RedPrairie to Buy JDA Software for .9 Billion". The New York Times. November 1, 2012.
- "Exclusive: Honeywell explores acquisition of JDA Software - sources". Reuters. Reuters. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Exclusive: Blackstone challenges Honeywell with JDA financing plan - sources". Reuters. Reuters. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "JDA's Bal Dail Passes CEO Reins to Girish Rishi to Fuel Next Phase of Growth". JDA (Press release). JDA. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "JDA Software to Acquire Blue Yonder". JDA.com (Press release).
- "JDA Completes Acquisition of Blue Yonder". JDA.com (Press release).
- "JDA Software to rename itself to BlueYonder". JDA.com (Press release).
- "Blue Yonder is pleased to announce the acquisition of Yantriks".
- "Panasonic Accelerates the Autonomous Supply Chain with Acquisition of Blue Yonder". Media Center. 2021-04-23. Retrieved 2021-04-23.