February 12, 1983
|Other names||Iko Uwais|
Audy Item (m. 2012)
Maisyaroh Kamaruddin (mother)|
Mustapha Kamaruddin (father; died 2017)
In 2007, Uwais was discovered by director Gareth Evans, who was filming a documentary about silat in Uwais's training hall. Uwais's natural charisma and great camera presence encouraged Evans to cast him as the leading role for his first martial art movie, Merantau. After signing a five-year contract with Gareth Evans and his production company, Uwais resigned from his daytime job as an operational driver at Esia, an Indonesian telecom company.
In his first acting experience in Merantau, Uwais played the role of a young Minang (West-Sumateran), which led him to learn the Minang style of silat harimau (tiger style) from Master Edwel Datuk Rajo Gampo Alam. Merantau was released in Indonesia on 6 August 2009. The film was featured in Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival in South Korea and Fantastic Fest in Austin, Texas with highly positive reviews. Merantau won the Best Film award at ActionFest 2010.
Risingsuntokusatsu.com movie reviewer Inui Takumi said of Uwais's performance in Merantau: "...he brings a bit of innocent charm that adds a lot to his performance. Apparently the director, Gareth Evans, was drawn to this quality as well as his enthusiasm when he encountered Uwais years before while shooting a documentary on the art of Silat. He says that he saw a star quality in him and immediately worked to get him working on his first film. Granted, he may not have done too much as far as intense acting in this movie, but he shows sparks of something more in his talent that once honed, I think his talent and personality could definitely raise him to martial arts legend status".
Uwais's second collaboration with Gareth Evans was The Raid (known as The Raid: Redemption in the United States), which began filming in mid-March 2011 and was released in mid-2012. The movie has been hailed by critics and audiences in various festivals as one of the best martial art movies in years.
In 2016, he appeared in the martial arts film Headshot, which received generally positive reviews. In 2017, he filmed the international martial arts film Triple Threat, together with Tony Jaa, Tiger Chen, and Scott Adkins—the film is slated for a 2018 release. In 2018, Iko Uwais starred in the movie Mile 22.
|2012||The Raid||Rama||Gareth Evans|||
|2013||Man of Tai Chi||Gilang Sanjaya||Keanu Reeves||Cameo role|||
|2014||The Raid 2||Rama/Yuda||Gareth Evans|||
|2015||Star Wars: The Force Awakens||Razoo Qin-Fee||J. J. Abrams||Cameo role|||
|2017||Beyond Skyline||Sua||Liam O'Donnell|||
|2018||The Night Comes for Us||Arian||Timo Tjahjanto||As actor and choreographer|||
|2018||Triple Threat||Jaka||Jesse V. Johnson|||
|2018||Mile 22||Li Noor||Peter Berg|||
|TBA||Wu Assassins||Kai Jin||Netflix|||
Awards and nominations
|2010||Indonesian Movie Awards||Best Newcomer Actor||Merantau||Nominated|||
|Indonesian Movie Awards||Favorite Newcomer Actor||Merantau||Nominated|||
|2013||Indonesian Movie Awards||Best Chemistry
(shared with Donny Alamsyah)
|2014||Indonesian Choice Awards||Actor of the Year||Himself||Nominated|||
|Indonesian Yahoo! Celebrity Awards||Most Wanted Male||Himself||Nominated|||
|2016||Infotainment Awards||Indonesian Celebrity of World Achievement||Himself||Won|||
- Brown, Todd (2009-02-04). "Gareth Evans and Iko Uwais talk Merantau". Twitch Film. Archived from the original on 2012-03-09. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- "Iko Uwais". Martial Arts & Action Entertainment. 21 January 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Harvey, Dennis (2016-09-16). "Film Review: 'Headshot'". Variety. Retrieved 2017-03-07.
- "Iko Uwais and the Indonesian heroes of Star Wars: The Force Awakens". BBC News. BBC. 18 December 2015. Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- Lee, Ann (11 April 2014). "The Raid 2 star Iko Uwais: Gareth Evans is like my ugly brother". Metro.co.uk. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Wrenn, Eddie (2012-02-24). "From the valleys of Wales to the hills of Hollywood: Fledgling director Gareth Evan's meteoric rise to fame as critics praise 'The Raid'". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- Lambie, Ryan (14 May 2012). "The Raid Q&A: director Gareth Evans and star Iko Uwais". Den of Geek!. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Brown, Todd (2009-09-28). "Reviews: Fantastic Fest 09: 'Merantau' Review". Twitchfilm.net. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- "Iko Uwais, Mantan Supir Merambah Dunia Akting" [Iko Uwais, a former driver who goes to acting world]. Pikiran Rakyat (in Indonesian). 13 October 2011. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Saputra, Aditia (1 April 2014). "Iko Uwais, Sopir Truk yang Menjadi Aktor Laga" [Iko Uwais, a truck driver who becoming an action actor]. Liputan6.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Soo-Mee, Park (23 July 2009). "Puchon film festival wraps, sets encore". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Brooks, Brian (30 September 2009). "Fantastic Fest Thrills Up Prize Winners". IndieWire. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Brown, Todd (25 September 2009). "Fantastic Fest 09: 'Merantau' Review". Screen Anarchy. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Renninger, Bryce J. (22 April 2010). "Chuck Norris Passes on Lifetime Achievement Award at ActionFest". IndieWire. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "'Undisputed 3', '14 Blades', and 'Merantau' win at ActionFest 2010, Chuck Norris declines Lifetime Achievement Award!". Twitchfilm.net. 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- Takumi, Inui (2012-12-10). "Movie Review: 'Merantau'". Rising Sun Tokusatsu. Retrieved 2012-12-30.
- Deri (2011-03-04). "'Serbuan Maut' (The Raid) Lebih Dahsyat dari 'Merantau'" ['The Raid' will be more awesome than 'Merantau']. 21 Cineplex (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2018-01-11.
- Jones, Gareth (2012-05-15). "UK Readers: Check Out This Bullet-Ridden New Clip from The Raid and Win a Limited Edition Bag!". Dread Central. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "The Raid trio to appear in Star Wars: Episode 7 - The Force Awakens". Twitch Film. 2015-01-25. Retrieved 2015-02-15.
- "Headshot". Metacritic. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- Roxborough, Scott (5 November 2016). "AFM: Tony Jaa, Tiger Chen and Iko Uwais Are a 'Triple Threat'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Arditya, Andreas D. (5 April 2014). "Iko Uwais juggles films and fatherhood". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- Daniel, Ruben (26 June 2012). "'Pulau Kapuk' Idaman Bulan Madu Audy dan Iko" [Pulau Kapuk, the dream honeymoon of Audy and Iko]. KapanLagi.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- Suhendra, Ichsan (12 October 2013). "Iko Uwais-Audy Item Dikaruniai Anak Pertama" [Iko Uwais-Audy Item blessed with the first child]. Kompas (in Indonesian). Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- "Audy Item lahirkan anak perempuan secara caesar" [Audy Item gave birth a baby girl by cesarean delivery]. Merdeka.com (in Indonesian). 11 October 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- Rismoyo, Mauludi (13 June 2018). "Lewat Persalinan Caesar, Ini Nama Anak Kedua Audy dan Iko Uwais" [Giving birth by cesarean delivery, this is Audy's and Iko's second child's name]. Detik.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- Elley, Derek (8 November 2009). "Merantau". Variety. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Bradshaw, Peter (17 May 2012). "The Raid – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Man of Tai Chi (2013) – Full Cast & Crew". IMDb. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Chang, Justin (2014-01-22). "Sundance Film Review: 'The Raid 2: Berandal'". Variety. Retrieved 2018-01-11.
- Robinson, Joanna (20 December 2015). "24 Delightful 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Cameos You Might Have Missed". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Wira, Ni Nyoman (1 November 2017). "Uwais-Ruhiyan duo at it again in 'Beyond Skyline'". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Sembiring, Ira Gita Natalia (19 September 2017). "Iko Uwais Jadi Aktor Sekaligus Koreografer di "The Night Comes for Us"" [Iko Uwais as actor and choreographer at "The Night Comes for Us"]. Kompas (in Indonesian). Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "Triple Threat (2017) – Full Cast & Crew". IMDb. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (2 March 2015). "Ronda Rousey, Peter Berg and Iko Uwais Team on Action Pic 'Mile 22' (Exclusive)". Variety. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- White, James (8 April 2018). "The Raid's Iko Uwais joins action comedy 'Stuber'". Empire. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- O'Connell, Michael (29 June 2018). "Netflix Orders Martial Arts Drama 'Wu Assassins'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Indonesian Movie Awards 2010 : Siap Digelar" [2010 Indonesian Movie Awards: Ready to be held]. 21 Cineplex (in Indonesian). 5 May 2010. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- Yuniar, Nanien (21 May 2013). "Daftar nominasi Indonesian Movie Awards 2013" [List of the nominees of the 2013 Indonesian Movie Awards]. Antara News (in Indonesian). Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Effendi, Ahmad (7 May 2014). "Yuk, Intip Daftar Nominasi Indonesian Choice Awards 2014!" [Here is the nominees of the 2014 Indonesian Choice Awards!]. KapanLagi.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Daftar Pemenang dan Nominasi Yahoo Celebrity Awards 2014" [List of the nominees and winners of the 2014 Yahoo! Celebrity Awards]. Kios Media (in Indonesian). 7 December 2014. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- "Daftar lengkap pemenang Infotainment Awards 2016" [Complete list of the winners of the 2016 Infotainment Awards]. Rappler (in Indonesian). 22 January 2016. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iko Uwais.|