In My Merry Oldsmobile
|This article does not cite any sources. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The song's chorus is one of the most enduring automobile-oriented songs. The verses, which are slightly suggestive (by 1905 standards) and contain quaint terms for lovemaking, are seldom heard today.
The song was featured in the 1931 Fleischer Studios animated short In My Merry Automobile as a "follow the bouncing ball" sing-along feature. The short, directed by Jimmy Culhane, was produced "by arrangement and in cooperation with" the Olds Motor Works. 
"In My Merry Oldsmobile" is one of the songs sung by the BonziBuddy software application.
In the song "Lord, Mr. Ford" on the 1979 album "Matchbox" by British rockabilly band Matchbox, they cover Jerry Reed's 1973 original, and the line "Come away with me, Lucille" is repeated several times, with the addition, at the end of the song, of the line "In my smoking choking automobile." The name Lucille hit its highest number in the US register of 1902; it was highly popular and had a certain glamour at the point of the song's popularity.
Oldsmobile sponsored several TV shows starring Patti Page in the 1950s, including "The Patti Page Show" from 1955-56, "The Big Record" from 1957-58 and "The Oldsmobile Show starring Patti Page" from 1958-59. "In My Merry Oldsmobile" was used as the theme song on every telecast, and Page often sang some form of it with new lyrics. On some of the programs, the musical commercial segments were performed by Bill Hayes and Florence Henderson.
The words, as sung by Billy Murray, are as follows:
- Young Johnny Steele has an Oldsmobile
- He loves his dear little girl
- She is the queen of his gas machine
- She has his heart in a whirl
- Now when they go for a spin, you know,
- She tries to learn the auto, so
- He lets her steer, while he gets her ear
- And whispers soft and low...
- They love to "spark" in the dark old park
- As they go flying along
- She says she knows why the motor goes
- The "sparker" is awfully strong
- Each day they "spoon" to the engine's tune
- Their honeymoon will happen soon
- He'll win Lucille with his Oldsmobile
- And then he'll fondly croon...
- Come away with me, Lucille
- In my merry Oldsmobile
- Down the road of life we'll fly
- Automobubbling, you and I
- To the church we'll swiftly steal
- Then our wedding bells will peal
- You can go as far as you like with me
- In my merry Oldsmobile.
- "A Bing Crosby Discography". A Bing Crosby Discography. Retrieved December 20, 2015.
- In My Merry Oldsmobile (1932)
- "Techdirt Podcast Episode 28: Is Car Ownership On The Way Out?", techdirt.com, Jun 9th, 2015
Murray revived the old song for a "follow the bouncing ball" cartoon in the 1930s.
- In My Merry Oldsmobile (1932) at Internet Archive