Inner Engineering: A Yogi's Guide to Joy
First edition featuring Patanjali
Inner Engineering: A Yogi's Guide to Joy is a spiritual and self-help book by Jaggi Vasudev. The book is intended to be a spiritual guide with practices for personal growth, and also a look at the author's own spiritual journey.
The fundamental premise suggested in the book is that "the way out is in." The author suggests that our experience of life is determined by us, either consciously or unconsciously. The process of inner engineering is about "creating a climate within yourself " to consciously choose how we experience life. Once we consciously choose, whether it is "health, peace, joy, ecstasy," an individual becomes the "source of it."
Various practices are given in the book, to help the reader handle every aspect of life, "from food, the drinking habit, sex and love in human relationships." The book combines elements of Sadhguru's Inner Engineering class with aspects of his life story, "including his journey from a young boy" to his mystic experience as a young man "of being one with everything."
The book is divided into two sections. Part One contains five chapters: When I Lost My Sense; The Way Out Is In; Design Your Destiny; No Boundary, No Burden; ...And Now, Yoga. Part Two has four chapters: Body; Mind; Energy; Joy.
Published on September 20, 2016 by Spiegel & Grau, the book was launched in the United States in New York's Times Square. The author's subsequent book and lecture tour covered 17 cities in North America, with a total audience of 26,000 people. Outside the United States, the book was launched on November 13 in London. In India, the book was launched in Mumbai on December 15 by filmmaker Subhash Ghai and also at the Jaipur Literature Festival and at the Kerala Literature Festival by actress Manju Warrier. In Dubai, the book was launched on March 17, at a talk by Sadhguru.
After its United States launch, the book entered The New York Times Best Seller list in the health, religion, and self-help categories, and The Washington Post bestseller list in the non-fiction hardcover category. After its launch in India, the book became a bestseller on Amazon.com's India page, and was included in their Memorable Books of 2016 list. The book won the 2017 Crossword Book awards (15th edition) under the non-fiction category (popular choice awards).
A review in Deccan Chronicle said the book recast Patanjali's Yoga Sutra in layman's terms. The review further stated that the author neither takes a "moral high ground nor seeks to be prescriptive" but offers a "pragmatic approach". A review in The Star of Malaysia noted that the book "is filled with little gems – provocative statements and ideas", and stated that the book is not something that can be finished in a day or two because "though Sadhguru's writing style makes it very readable and engaging, there are so many points to ponder".
On Twitter, actress Jacqueline Fernandez picked the book as part of her "holiday reading challenge", while singer Smita called the book a "must read" "that helps u find answers". Suhel Seth referred to Inner Engineering as "something so well told with such insight!"
- "Book review: Demystifying yoga, redefining 'Ghar Vaapsi'". Deccan Chronicle. 2017-01-16. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- Chaudhary, Suchitra (2017-03-17). "Sadhguru enthralls Dubai crowd, gives crash course on achieving true happiness". Gulf News. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- Chaudhary, Suchitra (2017-03-18). "Sadhguru's message for Dubai residents". Gulf News. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Inner Engineering: A Yogi's Guide to Joy – The Isha Blog". The Isha Blog. 2016-09-22. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Isha founder pens new book on meditative yoga". 2016-11-22. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- Sadhguru (2016-12-12). Inner Engineering: A Yogi’s Guide to Joy. Penguin Books Limited. ISBN 9789386057587.
- "Sadhguru Preaches Spirituality, Writes Philosophy, Reads 'Dennis the Menace'". Huffington Post India. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Sadhguru's newly launched book is about exploring inner self". Mathrubhumi. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Mumbai Diary: Friday Dossier". Mid Day. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Zee Jaipur Literature Festival 2017: We are living in best time of human history, says Sadhguru". Zee News. 2017-01-20. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Kerala Literature Fest begins in Kozhikode today". Deccan Chronicle. 2017-02-03. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Health Books – Best Sellers". The New York Times. November 13, 2016. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Religion, Spirituality and Faith Books – Best Sellers – October 9, 2016 – The New York Times". Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Advice, How-To & Miscellaneous Books – Best Sellers – October 9, 2016 – The New York Times". Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Washington Post bestsellers: Sept. 25, 2016". The Washington Post. 2016-09-21. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Archive of Amazon India Bestseller Page on 15 November 2016". Archived from the original on 2016-11-15.
- "Amazon.in: Memorable books: Books". www.amazon.in. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Josy Joseph, Sujit Saraf and Karan Johar among the winners of this year's Crossword Book Awards". Scroll.in.
- "Review: Inner Engineering: A Yogi's Guide To Joy - Star2.com". The Star. 2016-12-29. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Smita on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "SUHEL SETH on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2017-04-09.