Institute of Business Management
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|President||Shahjehan S. Karim|
|Rector||Talib S. Karim|
|Location||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
The Institute of Business Management (IoBM), formerly known as "CBM" is a private university and business school in Karachi, Pakistan. One of the foremost business schools in the country, IoBM is composed of four colleges, the College of Business Management (CBM), the College of Economics and Social Development (CESD), the College of Computer Science and Information Systems (CCSIS) and the College of Engineering Sciences (CES). Since its inception in 1995, the institute has nurtured and developed thousands of talented youth, turning them into industry leaders in the country as well as overseas.
Several of the academic programs of IoBM have been recognized worldwide. Eduniversal, a Paris-based global ranking and rating agency, adjudged ten of its MBA programs in 2014 amongst the "Top 200 Best Masters" in Central Asian Region and three amongst the "Top 100 Best Masters" in the world. IoBM has also received accolades from the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan, on account of the institute's quality in education. In 2014, the Quality Enhancement ( QEC ) received a 98.5% rating, on account of successful implementation of quality poicies. However, in 2012, IoBM lashed out at HEC stating that HEC misinterpreted data submitted by the institute and that crucial data on teaching, research and quality assurance was not incorporated, resulting in a lower placement of IoBM in the rankings of Pakistan universities.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Academic Programs
- 3 Admissions
- 4 Student achievements and awards
- 5 Student Life
- 6 Membership in professional bodies
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 References
- 9 External links
IoBM started as College of Business Management offering BBA and MBA degrees. Since the inception of CBM, it has grown rapidly.
IoBM is built on a 9 acres (36,000 m2) site.
IoBM has extensive links with North American Universities. Professors from the Universities of Arizona State and Brock have served as Chief Academic Officers of CBM. The present CBM Dean has over 38 years of experience at the State Bank of Pakistan  and Dean, CCSIS has over twelve years teaching experience in US and Pakistani universities. IoBM enjoys the support of some of Pakistan's leading companies. IoBM students have gone overseas for higher studies to Harvard, Rutgers, Drexel, New York University, University of Bradford School of Management and other business schools in Europe, USA and Canada.
IoBM's BBA, BCS and BS Joint (Honors) programs have a compulsory foreign language component (Arabic, French, Spanish, German, Japanese and Italian).
Organizations such as Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Berger Paints, Standard Chartered, Citibank, Faysal Bank, ICI Pakistan, Philips Electrical Industries, Unilever and BP Pakistan are among many to offer internships to IoBM students. The society of Business Engineers awarded CBM with "Excellence in Business Education" in August 2007.
College of Business Management
- BBA (Honors)
- BS (Honors) Economics and Finance
- BS (Honors) Accounting and Finance
- MBA (Regular)
- MBA (Executive)
- MBA Health and Hospital Management
- MBA Advertising and Media Management
- MBA Educational Management
- MBA Finance and Risk Management
- MBA Environment and Energy Management
- MBA Educational Management
- MBA Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- MS Leading to PhD in Business Management
College of Computer Science and Information Systems
- BS Computer Science
- BS Actuarial Science and Risk Management
- MS Computer Science
College of Engineering and Sciences
- BS Industrial Engineering and Management
- MBA Industrial Management after BS Industrial Engineering and Management
- MBA Industrial Management
- BE Electrical (Electronics)
- BE Electrical (Telecommunications)
- MBA Telecommunication Management
College of Economics and Social Development
- BS Accountancy, Management & Law (Formerly BS (Honors) Commerce)
- BS (Honors) Media Studies
- BS Actuarial Science & Risk Management
- MSc Organizational Psychology and Human Resource Management
- MSc Media Psychology
- MS Economics and Finance
- MS in Business Psychology
IoBM admissions are held once in a year (June) for all programs, twice (June & Dec) for only engineering programs and thrice ( March, June & Dec) for Executive MBA Students. Admission to IoBM is on a highly competitive basis, and only those who compete successfully on merit are selected for admission. After joining IoBM, students continue to pursue their studies with a high level of competitiveness aimed at professional development. Success in aptitude test and interview conducted by IoBM is mandatory for admission to the institute.
Student achievements and awards
- IoBM team won the CIMA Global Business Challenge (GBC) Pakistan 2010. Out of 50 teams competing in the initial stages from universities from Lahore and Karachi, four teams qualified for CIMA Global Business Challenge (GBC) Pakistan Final 2010. Of these, two were from IoBM and two from LUMS. IoBM’s team represented Pakistan in Malaysia where prestigious universities from all over the world participated including the UK, Ireland, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, India, China, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, South Africa, UAE and Australia.
- IoBM won the second prize in Unilever Lipton Hunt-a national completion between leading business schools of Pakistan.
- IoBM won the Business Launch Challenge 2010/2011 by P&G Pakistan. The competition was a part of the P&G Pakistan’s Human Resource Initiatives and was geared towards enhancing students’ grasp of the industry in general and P&G Pakistan’s business in particular. IoBM’s team competed with over 50 teams across Pakistan.
- IoBM team was the runner-up in the GIRC (Global Investment Research Challenge) 2010. The equity research competition was organized by CFA Association, Pakistan. The participating teams included 6 institutions (LUMS, IBA, IoBM, SZABIST, Bahria University and NUST Business School). The teams were required to prepare an equity research report on United Bank Ltd.
- IoBM won the Fourth P&G Business Launch Competition 2010, held at IBA. More than 250 teams from Karachi participated in this competition.
- IoBM’s team won the Brands’ Anatomy, a Brand Building Competition held at SZABIST.
- IoBM’s team won The AD EFFECT Competition held at LUMS International Marketing Colloquium 2011.
- IoBM team won the on-Campus Management Trainee Program organized by Telenor.
- IoBM won the second & third prize in Digital Minds, 2010, an inter-university competition held by Symmetry Digital which is Pakistan’s Largest Digital Agency.
Student life at IoBM is full of activities, therefore to cater individual choices there are number of societies for such people.
- Rotaract Club of IoBM
- Social Welfare And Trust (SWAT)
- Entertainment Plus Society (EPS)
- Mathematics society
- Dialogue Society
- Egalitarians Society
- Strategic Human Resource Society (SHRS)
- The Literary and Public Speaking Society
- CBM Society of Health Managers (CSHM)
- The Management Society
- The Marketing Society
- Digicon Informatics Society
- Media society
- IoBM Club For Entrepreneurs.
- Actuarial Science & Risk Management Society (ARMS)
IoBM has a unique type of Event Organization system as compared to other institutes in Karachi. Here, students of different societies are to arrange all the events themselves with no professional or financial help from IoBM as IoBM's management believes that its students should be self-dependent & take up tasks themselves which will have a positive impact on their personality development. All the recent events in IoBM such as Jashan e Baharan, the Public talk by Imran Khan had been arranged by the society members themselves.
Membership in professional bodies
IoBM is an active member of the following international and national professional bodies.
- International Association of Universities
- International Association of University Presidents
- Association of Commonwealth Universities, UK
- Association of Universities of Asia and the Pacific (AUAP), Thailand
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, USA
- Asian Media Information and Communication Centre (AMIC), Singapore
- Management Association of Pakistan (MAP), (Member, Executive Committee)
- Marketing Association of Pakistan (Vice President for the year 2010-2011)
- Employers Federation of Pakistan
- Institute of Corporate Governance
- International Finance Corporation, USA (IFC)
- "IoBM Mission and Vision". www.iobm.edu.pk.
- "Why Choose IoBM?". www.iobm.edu.pk. Archived from the original on 2013-02-02.
- "Former SBP deputy governor; Dean of IOBM". www.paktribune.com.
- "IoBM wins 'Cima Global Business Challenge". Business Recorder. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- Link text, additional text.
- "Imran Khan visits IOBM". www.tribune.com.pk.
- "IFC Invests in Pakistan's Education Sector through Support for Institute of Business Management". International Finance Corporation. Retrieved 25 November 2014.