Iowa State Cyclones track and field
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2015)|
|Iowa State Cyclones|
|University||Iowa State University|
|Head Coach||Martin Smith (2nd year)|
|Indoor Facility||Lied Recreation Center
|Outdoor Facility||SW Athletic Complex
|Colors||Cardinal and Gold
|Indoor NCAA Appearance|
|Men: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1984, 1992, 1993, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002
Women: 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005
|Outdoor NCAA Appearance|
|Men: 1921, 1922, 1928, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1936, 1943, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1957, 1964, 1967, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2006
Women: 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002
|Indoor Conference Champions|
|Men: 1944, 1945, 1946, 1984, 1986, 1990, 1991, 1993
Women: 1977, 1978, 1979
|Outdoor Conference Champions|
|Men: 1908, 1944, 1945, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
Women: 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979
Iowa State Cyclones Track and Field is an American collegiate sports team sponsored by Iowa State University. Iowa State University is in the Big 12 Conference. While part of the Big Eight Conference, Iowa State University won 25 Conference titles in Track and Cross Country under the leadership of Coach Bill Bergan. 2007 saw a change in the structure of the Iowa State University Track & Field program. Previously there existed a separate Men’s and Women’s program for the same sport, but Iowa State University Athletic Director Jamie Pollard implemented a new structure which now includes a Director of Track & Field (Corey Ihmels) with a total of 8 Assistant Coaches working under him.
Hall of Fame
Bill Bergan Coached ISU to NCAA Cross Country championship in 1989 and 1994. During his time as Coach his athletes earned All-America honors 104 times and won 156 conference titles for their individual performances. He is also Founder and CEO of Championship Productions.
Jon Brown was the 1992 NCAA Indoor 5000m Champion and was also a six-time Big Eight Champion. Jon also went on to represent Great Britain in three Olympics finishing in fourth place in the 2000 and 2004 Olympic Marathons.
Jonah Koech of Kenya was a three-time NCAA Indoor 5000m Champion as well as winning titles in the 1993 NCAA 10,000m and 1990 NCAA Cross Country.
John Nuttall was the 1989 NCAA Cross Country Champion, also capturing eight Big Eight Championship titles and six Big Eight team crowns. John went on to represent Great Britain at the Olympics.
Yobes Ondieki was the 10,000m World Record holder in 1993 and finished fourth in the 1992 Olympic games 5000m. While at ISU he was a top three finisher three times in the NCAA Cross Country Championship and won the Big Eight Cross Country title three times.
Carol Cook won the 1976 Big Eight crown to help her ISU team win the championship. She also won individual titles in the Big Eight 5000m run and the two-mile run.
Nawal El Moutawakel won a gold medal in the 1984 Olympic 400m hurdles, also setting an Olympic Record. While at Iowa State she won the 1984 400m hurdles at the National Championships and during her career won four individual conference titles.
Pat Hodgson won two titles in the Big Eight Championships in the High Jump. She also won the Big Eight title in the 440-yard hurdles and mile relay in 1975.
|13||Big Eight Conference Men's Outdoor Team Champion||1908, 1944, 1945, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994|
|6||Big Eight Conference Women's Outdoor Team Champion||1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979|
|8||Big Eight Conference Men's Indoor Team Champion||1944, 1945, 1946, 1984, 1986, 1990, 1991, 1993|
|5||Big Eight Conference Women's Indoor Team Champion||1974, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979|
- Indoor Track
- Outdoor Track
- Cross Country Course
- Strength and Conditioning Weight Room
- Athletic Training/Physical Therapy Room
- Hixson-Lied Athlete Success Center
Iowa State track athletes train and compete in one of the finest indoor facilities in the world. Iowa State’s $13 million Lied Recreation-Athletic Facility complements Iowa State’s outdoor track complex. The combination gives Cyclone track athletes first-rate, year-round practice facilities. The Lied Recreation-Athletic Facility was the site of the 1998, 2000 and 2007 Big 12 Indoor Track and Field Championships. The indoor facility includes a 300-meter track that is one of the largest and fastest indoor surfaces in the world. Over the summer of 1999 the track was resurfaced at a cost of over $600,000 with a mondo surface, showing ISU’s commitment to being amongst the best in the nation.
Iowa State University’s biggest rival is the University of Iowa, also known as the Hawkeyes. As the two largest Universities in the state of Iowa the rivalry is fierce and it is one of the most hard fought sporting rivalries in the whole of the American Collegiate arena. Other rivalry is also with the competing Big 12 Conference teams. This includes Nebraska, Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Missouri, Baylor, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State.
- "Iowa State Track & Field/ Cross Country Media Guide" (PDF). Iowa State University. 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- "Big Eight Conference Women's Indoor Track and Field Championship History Sponsored by the Big Eight Conference (1908–1996)". Bigeightsports.com. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
- "Big Eight Conference Women's Indoor Track and Field Championship History Sponsored by the Big Eight Conference (1974–1996)". Bigeightsports.com. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
- "Big Eight Conference Women's Indoor Track and Field Championship History Sponsored by the Big Eight Conference (1992–1996)". Bigeightsports.com. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
- "Big Eight Conference Women's Indoor Track and Field Championship History Sponsored by the Big Eight Conference (1976–1996)". Bigeightsports.com. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
- Iowa State Track and Field
- Iowa State Men's Track and Field
- Iowa State Women's Track and Field
- Iowa State Cyclone Athletics
- NCAA Men's Indoor Records
- NCAA Women's Indoor Records
- NCAA Men's Outdoor Records
- NCAA Women's Outdoor Records
- Big 12 Conference Men's Indoor record book
- Big 12 Conference Women's Indoor record book
- Big 12 Conference Men's Outdoor record book
- Big 12 Conference Women's Outdoor record book
- Iowa State Cyclones Track and Field Media Guide
- Iowa State Cyclones Track & Field / Cross Country
- Iowa State Cyclones Track & Field / Cross Country