Ireland at the 2008 Summer Paralympics
|Ireland at the
2008 Summer Paralympics
|Competitors||45 in 9 sports|
|Flag bearer||Patrice Dockery|
|Summer Paralympics appearances|
|Gold||McKillop, MichaelMichael McKillop||Athletics||Men's 800 m - T37|
|Gold||Smyth, JasonJason Smyth||Athletics||Men's 100 m - T13|
|Gold||Smyth, JasonJason Smyth||Athletics||Men's 200 m - T13|
|Silver||McDonald, DarraghDarragh McDonald||Swimming||Men's 400 m Freestyle - S6|
|Bronze||Shelly, GabrielGabriel Shelly||Boccia||Mixed Individual - BC1|
Sean Heary was Ireland's sole representative in this sport.
Ireland sent four representatives in boccia, including Gabriel Shelly.
Ireland sent four representatives in cycling: Cathal Miller, Enda Smyth, Michael Delaney and Catherine Walsh. The team was managed by Denis Toomey who competed in the tandem event in Athens and made great strides in cycling in Ireland for disabled athletes
Eilish Byrne was Ireland's one representative, competing in dressage with horse Youri.
Ireland was represented in football.
Five Irish athletes competed in the following events in sailing:
- Two-Person Keelboat - SKUD18
- Three-Person Keelboat - Sonar
Ireland sent two representatives in table tennis, including Kathleen Reynolds.
- "IRISH PARALYMPIC TEAM ANNOUNCED FOR 2008 BEIJING GAMES", Irish Sports Council, July 2, 2008
- "Patrice Dockery announced as Irish team flag bearer for 2008 Paralympic Games", Paralympic Council of Ireland, August 9, 2008
- "National Line Up For 2008 Paralympic Sailing Competition", International Association for Disabled Sailing, July 16, 2008
- Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games Official Site
- International Paralympic Committee
- "Speech by Mr Martin Cullen T.D. Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism at the announcement of the Irish Team for the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games", Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism, Irish government website
- "Paralympics: Gold fever", Herald, September 3, 2008