||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
January 11, 1970 |
Albany, New York, United States
|Genres||Metal, Thrash Metal, Rock, Hardcore, Death Metal, Ska, Jazz fusion, Latin|
|Labels||Century Media, Atlantic/Roadrunner|
|Associated acts||Shadows Fall, Stigmata, Burning Human, Anthrax, Toxik, Flotsam and Jetsam|
Jason Bittner (born January 11, 1970 in Niskayuna, New York) is an American drummer, best known as the drummer for American metal band Shadows Fall. He is also the drummer for American thrash metal band Flotsam and Jetsam since 2014, and was the drummer for the thrash metal band Toxik from 2013 to 2014.
He has won numerous awards including the Modern Drummer Magazine reader poll for #1 Up and Coming Drummer of 2004, and in 2005, #1 Best Recorded Performance for the Shadows Fall album The War Within, #1 Metal drummer (2005/2006) #2 Clinician DRUM! magazine 2011. He is recognized for his tight playing, extensive skill with double bass drumming, particularly his ability to play complex patterns at high speeds, and his familiarity with numerous styles of drumming, including latin and jazz.
Bittner started taking formal drum lessons at the age of ten years, however he has stated that he "had been banging on pots, pans, and garbage cans since he was about five". A native of Schenectady, NY, he continued to take lessons and perform in his middle school and Linton high school jazz and orchestra ensembles before attending Berklee College of Music in 1988. After a year of intensive study, he left Berklee to pursue his musical career outside the educational environment. This led to playing in various metal and hard rock bands throughout the late eighties and early nineties.
In 1994 he joined the band Stigmata, a prominent hardcore band in the New York scene, and over the course of the next 7 years, recorded 3 albums, released a home video, and toured the U.S. and Europe with this outfit. Bittner also played in death metal band Burning Human. They recorded 7 songs that would appear on the album "We The People: A tribute to upstate NY's hardest". Most of these songs would be rerecorded for their first album which would not come out for another decade after Bittner joined Shadows Fall. Burning Human would eventually disband in the late 90's. Stigmata disbanded in 2001; the following fall, Bittner joined Shadows Fall. Initially, he had signed on just to do one tour of Europe with the band, but subsequently decided to remain as a permanent member.
In September 2002 the band released "The Art of Balance" and went on to tour throughout the US, Japan, and Europe. Over the course of 2005, following the release of Shadows Fall's follow up effort The War Within, Bittner started establishing himself as a clinician, performing at the Modern Drummer Festival, the DRUMMER live festival in the UK, followed by a clinic tour of Germany, and also PASIC in November 2005.
In January 2006, filled in for Anthrax drummer Charlie Benante for two shows, who could not tour due to family obligations. He also made a surprise guest appearance at a show in Clifton Park, New York in November 2011. He also filled in for Charlie for a few shows throughout early 2012, after Gene Hoglan had helped Anthrax out, after the passing of Charlie's mother. He returned once again in late June 2012 filling in for Charlie after he hurt his wrist, continuing to perform with Anthrax through October 2012. Hudson Music released a joint DVD with Bittner and Chris Adler of the American metal band Lamb of God, Pro-Mark introduced the Jason Bittner Signature model 5BX drumstick, and Meinl introduced the Bell Blast ride, designed in conjunction with Jason. He was the cover feature of the UK drum publications, DRUMMER and Rhythm, the cover feature of DRUM!, and participated on Magna Carta's Drum Nation 3 record. Shadows Fall released "Fallout From the War" on Century Media Records in 2006 and spent the remainder of the year writing and recording Threads of Life at Studio 606 in L.A. with Producer Nick Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters, Rush). Bittner also won the Modern Drummer Reader's poll for #1 Metal drummer for the second year in a row.
In the early winter months of 2007, Jason spent much of his time writing and recording old and material for his original band, "Burning Human". Late March brought the beginning of the Shadows Fall tour cycle supporting Threads of Life, which was released in April 2007. Also during this time period, Bittner started writing a monthly drum column for RHYTHM magazine in the UK, was a faculty member (along with Steve Smith, Dave Weckl, and Horacio Hernandez) at the 2007 Drum Fantasy Camp held at Seton Hall University, and won #1 Metal Drummer and #1 Rising Drumming Star awards in the 2007 DRUM! Reader’s Poll. His book, "Drumming Out of The Shadows", co-authored by Joe Bergamini, received the #2 award in the DRUM! Reader’s Poll for Best Educational Book, and he was also featured in the book "On the Beaten Path" by Rich Lackowski, the #1 Educational Book of 2008 in the Modern Drummer and DRUM! Magazine reader's polls. Bittner and Hudson Music launched his first ever instructional DVD entitled "What Drives the Beat" in October 2008, with a clinic tour following its release.
Jason played an acoustic set with George Lynch (Lynch Mob) and Stu Hamm (Joe Satriani) in the first ever acoustic performance of Lynch's Mr. Scary. The private event was hosted by US Music at the Hilton Hotel for NAMM 2010. In 2011 he signed on as a Zildjian cymbal artist and commenced on a world-wide 30-city drum clinic tour that covered the globe from the US to Australia to Europe, the UK and as far as Russia. 2012 brought the release of Shadows Fall's new cd "Fire From the Sky" and the band did one tour before Bittner was once again called to fill in for Charlie Benante in Anthrax for a 4-month period over the summer and fall. The band completed the 2012 Rockstar Mayhem Festival and its subsequent Canadian tour, and Bittner then returned to Shadows Fall full-time. At this time the band is currently on the road supporting "Fire From the Sky" and will do so into most of 2013.
In 2013, Jason has joined thrash metal band Toxik as their new drummer, but has left the band in 2014.
- Drums - Pearl Drums Reference, Ultra Blue Fade (376)
- 8"×7" rack tom
- 10"×8" rack tom
- 12"×9" rack tom
- 14"×14" floor tom
- 16"×16" floor tom
- 22"×18" Bass Drum (×2)
- 14"×6.5" Reference brass snare drum or a 14"×5" Reference snare drum
- Sticks - Jason Bittner signature series 5BX Pro-Mark
- Cymbals - Zildjian (L-R)
- 20" K Heavy or 21" A Mega Bell Ride
- 14" K or A Custom Mastersound Hi-Hats
- 16" Oriental China Trash or 17" K China
- 18" K Medium Thin Dark Crash
- 8" K or A Custom Splash
- 17" A Custom Medium, Projection or A Medium Thin Crash
- 10" K or A Custom Splash
- 18" A Custom Medium or Projection Crash
- 21" Z3 Mega Bell Ride or 20" K Heavy Ride
- 18" Oriental China Trash
- 13" A Custom Mastersound or K Hi-Hats (auxiliary)
- 10" ZHT Mini Hats (auxiliary)
- On occasion Jason will have a 19" A Medium Thin Crash behind his 13" HiHats
- Drumheads - Remo
- Toms - Clear/Ebony Emperors | Clear Ambassador
- Bass - Clear Powerstroke 3 | Ebony Powerstroke 3
- Snare - Coated Controlled Sound | Hazy Ambassador
- DW 9000 single pedals (×2)
- DW 9000 legless hi-hat w/drop clutch
- DW 9550 remote hi-hat
- Pearl Rack System and all Hardware
- Jason also uses LP percussion for clinics and he in his clinic setup he has a 6" Micro snare, various cowbells and Jam blocks and Cyclops jingle rings.
- Stigmata - Hymns for an Unknown God (1995)
- We the People: A Tribute to New York's Hardest (1995)
- Crisis - The Hollowing (1997)
- Stigmata - Pain Has No Boundaries (1998)
- Everdark - Twilight Burns (1998)
- Stigmata - Troy Blood Unbeaten (1999)
- Stigmata - Do Unto Others (2000)
- Shadows Fall - The Art of Balance (2002)
- Shadows Fall - The War Within (2004)
- Shadows Fall - Fallout From the War (2006)
- Jason Bittner - Instr. (Drum Nation, Volume 3) (2006)
- Shadows Fall - Threads of Life (2007)
- Shadows Fall - Retribution (2009)
- Burning Human - Resurrection Through Fire (2009)
- Shadows Fall - Madness in Manila (Live) (2010)
- Stigmata - The Wounds That Never Heal (2009)
- Marty Friedman - Tokyo Jukebox 2 (2011)
- Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky (2012)
- Hellspeak - The Slaughter Rule of Agony EP (2013)
- Half Past My Sin - 4:44 May 2014 (remixed, released July 2016)
- Coconut Donut - Musically Delicious (2016)
- http://pearldrum.com/news-events/artist-news/pearl-welcomes-jason-bittner-of-shadows-fall. Retrieved 2013-08-30. Missing or empty