|Birth name||Christopher James Adler|
|Also known as||The Kid, Eagle Man, Cadler|
|Born||November 23, 1972|
|Genres||Groove metal, thrash metal, progressive metal|
|Instruments||Drums, percussion, guitar, bass guitar, piano, saxophone|
|Associated acts||Lamb of God, Megadeth, Jettison Charlie, Blotted Science, Testament, Protest The Hero, Nitro|
Christopher James Adler (born November 23, 1972) is an American drummer, best known as the founder of the groove metal band Lamb of God from 1994-2019, and Grammy Award winning member of Megadeth. Chris became a member of the veteran thrash metal band Megadeth from 2015-2017, playing all percussion on their fifteenth album Dystopia and performed all touring dates in support of that album as well as the touring and creative obligations with the band he founded, Lamb of God (1994-2019). In his 7th Grammy nomination, "Dystopia" won Chris his first Grammy Award for the Best Metal Performance at the 59th Grammy Awards. In 2006 Adler collaborated with revered progressive guitarist Ron Jarzombek and began the project Blotted Science. In 2013, Adler moved to Toronto, Canada to contribute to and record the album "Volition" with the progressive metal band Protest the Hero. The album went on to deliver Chris his first Juno Award (Canadian equivalent to the US Grammy) In 2014 he contributed several drum tracks to the Testament album Dark Roots of the Earth. In 2016 Adler recorded three songs with Jim Gillette, Michael Angelo Batio, and Victor Wooten in a California studio for a Nitro reunion album. As of October 2017, he left the Nitro reunion project to focus on a mid-2018 release and tour with Lamb of God. Chris is the elder brother of Lamb of God bandmate and guitarist Willie Adler. Willie joined the band based on Chris's recommendation, replacing guitarist Abe Spear. Chris played in several local bands including Calibra, Jettison Charlie, Grouser and Darker Days before founding the heavy metal band Lamb of God (1994-2019) in 1994. Adler is pescatarian and has worked with PETA.
As of March 2019, Chris has stepped away from Lamb of God. Chris recommended Art Cruz to replace him as the drummer for the band. Chris scheduled multiple international clinic dates in the back half of 2019 and joined a Richmond Virginia local project with the members of Kepone. In April of 2018 Chris founded Kintsugi Management, an artist management firm. Kintsugi focuses on Chris’s passion for music, the artists that inspire him and employs multiple international partners.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Equipment
- 3 Discography
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Adler attended Bishop Ireton High School in Alexandria, Virginia; Adler attended college at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia where he met current bandmates John Campbell and Mark Morton. His inspirations include former Wrathchild America and current Godsmack drummer Shannon Larkin and Stewart Copeland of The Police. Other influences are John Bonham, Dave Lombardo, Gar Samuelson, Lars Ulrich, Billy Cobham and Gene Hoglan. On August 9, 2014 ABC News radio asked Adler in an interview if he did the drums for the new Slipknot single "The Negative One". Adler responded with "I can't confirm nor deny it". Adler later dismissed this in a later interview.
According to DRUM! Magazine, Adler describes his first drum kit as a disaster:
"The bass drum legs were different lengths so they wouldn't touch the ground at the same time. Every time I would hit it, it would wobble from left to right. The cymbal stands were duct taped together, and I think after two or three times playing the kit, the pedalboard actually broke in half because it was made of that crappy old fake metal."
He played on Megadeth's 2016 studio release Dystopia and on all live shows during the following world tour, juggling his time between Lamb of God and Megadeth. On July 1, 2016 Adler left Megadeth due to continued pressure to join full-time and leave Lamb of God. In lieu of leaving the band he started, Adler recommended his friend Dirk Verbeuren to Megadeth main man Dave Mustaine who accepted his recommendation. Verbeuren took over the throne for Megadeth at that time after agreeing to quit Soilwork as well as his other projects.
On 12 February 2017 Adler won his first Grammy award for Dystopia which won the Best Metal Performance category at the 59th Grammy Awards. As he was no longer a band member he did not attend the ceremony with current Megadeth drummer Verbeuren attending with the band instead.
In late 2017, Adler was involved in a motorcycle accident. He revealed the details of the accident a year later in September 2018, when questions were raised about his absence from the Lamb of God tour.
Following a time period of a year where Adler was not touring with Lamb of God, the band eventually announced Art Cruz as his permanent replacement. In February 2019, Chris announced his engagement to his longtime girlfriend.  According to an interview with Peta2, Adler is currently a vegetarian.
Adler uses Saturn Mapex Drums, his own signature Black Panther 12x5.5" snare, and Gibraltar Hardware. He also uses and endorses Evans Drumheads, Pro-Mark signature Sticks, Trick Pedals and Meinl Cymbals. Chris helped Meinl produce the 24" MB20 Pure Metal Ride for him and helped with the creation of the 12" Soundcaster Custom Distortion Splash. He also uses a Roland pad and two Roland trigger Modules linked to a Roland TR-808 Drum machine. He also uses a Roland TD30k Kit at home and for warmups on tour.
Current tour kit
- Drums - Mapex Saturn in Satin Black Maple Burl
- 10"x9" Tom
- 12"×10" Tom
- 16"×16" Floor Tom
- 18"×16" Floor Tom
- 22"×18" Bass Drum (×2)
- 12"×5.5" Mapex Warbird (Chris Adler Signature)
- Cymbals – Meinl
- 14" Generation X Filter China
- 16" Generation X Filter China
- 17" Byzance China (Prototype)
- 14" Soundcaster Custom Medium Soundwave Hihat - 14" Byzance Dark Hihat
- 8" Byzance Splash (x2)
- 12" Soundcaster Custom Distortion Splash
- 14" Soundcaster Custom Medium Crash
- 16" Mb8 Medium Crash
- 18" Byzance Medium Thin Crash
- 24" Byzance Pure Metal Ride (New Signature model)
- 8" Classics High Bell
- Drumheads - Evans
- Toms: EC2S Clear - G1 Clear
- Bass: EMAD Heavyweight - Custom Resonant
- Snare: Heavyweight snare batter - 300 snare side
- Demo Tape (1989, Independently Released)
With Cry Havoc
- Demo Tape (1993, Independently Released)
With Jettison Charlie
- Hitchhiking to Budapest (1994, Turn of The Century)
- "Legions of The Unjazzed"/"I Love You, You Bastard" EP (1996, Peas Kor Records)
- Bedroom Compilation Cassette (1995, FFF)
- "Full On" Now That's Metal Compilation CD (1996, mp3.com)
- Sevens and More (1998, mp3.com)
With Burn the Priest
- Demo Tape (1995, Independently Released)
- Split with ZED (1997, Goatboy Records)
- Split with Agents of Satan (1998, Deaf American Recordings)
- Sevens and More (1998, mp3.com)
- Burn the Priest (1998, Legion Records)
- Legion: XX (2018, Epic / Nuclear Blast)
- Demo Tape (1996, Independently Released)
With Lamb of God
- New American Gospel (2000)
- As the Palaces Burn (2003)
- Ashes of the Wake (2004)
- Sacrament (2006)
- Wrath (2009)
- Resolution (2012)
- VII: Sturm und Drang (2015)
- Drum Nation Volume 3 (2006, Magna Carta) feat. Ron Jarzombek
- Chris Adler and Jason Bittner: Live at Modern Drummer Festival 2005 DVD (2006, Hudson Music)
With Protest The Hero
- Volition (2013)
- "Drummerworld video showing Adler talk about his pedals and bass drum technique". Pearl Drummers Forum. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Lamb of God's Chris Adler Talks Drums (w/ Audio) - in Interviews". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- Linda Friedel (2011-03-16). "Drum clinic rocks local music store - Wednesday Sun News Story - Kansas City". Kccommunitynews.com. Archived from the original on 2011-03-26. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- Phil Freeman (2012-02-24). "Lamb of God's Chris Adler's Five Favorite Drummers". wonderingsound.com. Archived from the original on 2015-07-09. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- "LAMB OF GOD's CHRIS ADLER: 'I Have No Involvement' In SLIPKNOT's New Album". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 2014-08-14. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- "Chris Adler: Working Man's Metal". DRUM! Magazine. Archived from the original on 2010-09-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-02-22. Retrieved 2017-02-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Lamb of God's Chris Adler Reveals 2017 Motorcycle Accident". MetalSucks. 2018-09-17. Retrieved 2019-07-28.
- Hammer, Alice Pattillo2019-07-19T22:21:48Z Metal. "Lamb of God officially part ways with drummer Chris Adler". Metal Hammer Magazine. Retrieved 2019-07-28.
- "Chris Adler on Instagram".
- "Lamb of God interview". YouTube. 2007-02-19. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Lamb of God's Chris Adler is Vegetarian". peta2.com. 2011-07-20. Retrieved 2017-12-30.
- "Chris Adler". Chris Adler. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- "MEINL_cymbals_2008.pdf" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-10-01.[permanent dead link]
- "DRUMHEAD Magazine". Drumheadmag.com. Archived from the original on 2011-09-30. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Testament: New Album Title Revealed; Tour With Anthrax, Overkill, Death Angel Planned". Archived from the original on 2011-07-17.
- Lamb Of God’s Chris Adler Is Officially The Drummer For Megadeth’s New Album
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Chris Adler|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chris Adler.|