Carpenter at the 2013 San Diego Comic-Con International.
|Born||Jennifer Leann Carpenter
December 7, 1979
Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.
|Alma mater||Juilliard School|
|Notable work||Debra Morgan on Dexter|
|Spouse(s)||Michael C. Hall (m. 2008–11)|
|Awards||Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress on Television
Jennifer Leann Carpenter (born December 7, 1979) is an American actress best known for playing Debra Morgan on the Showtime drama series Dexter (2006–2013), for which she won a Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress on Television in 2009.
Carpenter was born in Louisville, Kentucky, the daughter of Catherine (née Mitchell) and Robert Carpenter. She attended St. Raphael the Archangel and then Sacred Heart Academy. She trained at the Walden Theatre Conservatory program, and later at New York City's Juilliard School (Drama Division Group 31: 1998–2002). Before graduation, she was cast in the 2002 Broadway revival of Arthur Miller's The Crucible starring Liam Neeson and Laura Linney.
Carpenter first attracted critical attention for her performance in The Exorcism of Emily Rose. She took home the 2006 MTV Movie Award for 'Best Frightened Performance', and also received a 'Hollywood Life Breakthrough Award'. She was also named 'Breakout Performer' at the 2006 Scream Awards.
Carpenter played the role of Debra Morgan in the Showtime crime drama television series Dexter which premiered October 1, 2006. Her portrayal of the title character's foster sister has impressed some critics, with Australian journalist Jack Marx describing her portrayal of "cool and clumsy" Debra as "so perfect that many viewers appear to have mistaken the character's flaws for the actor's."
In August, 2014, it was announced that she will provide the voice of Juli Kidman in the survival horror video game The Evil Within. marking her first video game appearance. The game was released in October 2014.
In 2007, she began dating her Dexter co-star Michael C. Hall. They eloped on New Year's Eve, 2008 in California, and publicly appeared together for the first time as a married couple at the 66th Golden Globe Awards in January 2009. In December 2010, Hall and Carpenter released a statement announcing that they had filed for divorce after having been separated "for some time". The divorce was finalized in December 2011 for irreconcilable differences; however, the two remain very close friends.
Carpenter started dating folk musician Seth Avett in 2013, after he separated from his wife. On February 10, 2015, it was announced that the couple was engaged and expecting their first child. In August 2015, it was revealed that Carpenter gave birth in May 2015, and she admitted that she was eight-and-a-half months pregnant when shooting the pilot episode of Limitless.
|1999||Nice Guys Sleep Alone||Uncredited|
|2001||People Are Dead||Angela's friend #2|
|2005||Last Days of America||Friend in New York #2|
|2005||The Exorcism of Emily Rose||Emily Rose||MTV Movie Award for Best Frightened Performance
Nominated—Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Supporting Actress
Nominated—MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance
Nominated—Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress
|2005||Queen B||Kristen||Television movie|
|2006||The Dog Problem||Redheaded waitress|
|2007||Battle in Seattle||Sam|
|2012||The Factory||Kelsey Walker|
|2014||Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher||Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow||Voice role|
|2014||The Devil's Hand||Rebekah|
|2006–2013||Dexter||Debra Morgan||96 episodes
Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress on Television
Nominated—Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Drama Supporting Actress
Nominated—Golden Nymph Award for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series
Nominated—Prism Award for Female Performance in a Drama Series
Nominated—Saturn Award for Best Actress on Television
Nominated—Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress on Television (2007–09, 2011–13)
Nominated—Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series (2009–12)
|2009||Dexter: Early Cuts||Debra Morgan||2 episodes|
|2011||The Good Wife||Pamela Raker||Episode: "Parenting Made Easy"|
|2011–2013||Pound Puppies||Pepper||5 episodes|
|2014||Robot Chicken||Voice||Episode: "Victoria's Secret of NIMH"|
|2015||Limitless||Rebecca||Will debut September 22, 2015 on CBS|
|2014||The Evil Within||Julie Kidman||Voice|
|2015||The Assignment||Julie Kidman||DLC|
|2015||The Consequence||Julie Kidman||DLC|
- "Jennifer Carpenter: Biography". TV Guide. Retrieved December 24, 2011.
- "Walden Theatre". Retrieved December 24, 2011.
- "Alumni News". Juilliard School. March 2010. Archived from the original on 2011-11-11. Retrieved April 8, 2012.
- Wilson, Gemma (January 28, 2011). "What's Up, Jennifer Carpenter? The Gruesome Playground Injuries Star on Not Having a Backup Plan". Broadway.com. Retrieved April 8, 2012.
- Marx, Jack (July 4, 2008). "Something About Dexter". News.com.au. Retrieved November 10, 2008.
- Gemma Wilson (January 28, 2011). "What's up, Jennifer Carpenter? The Gruesome Playground Injuries actress on not having a backup plan". Broadway.com. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- Ileane Rudolph (November 15, 2011). "First look: Jennifer Carpenter on The Good Wife". TV Guide. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- Lesley Goldberg. "'Dexter's' Jennifer Carpenter to Star in ABC's 'Sea of Fire'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "The Evil Within's voice cast features 'Dexter' and 'Watchmen' stars". Polygon.com. Polygon. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- Dos Santos, Kristin (January 9, 2009). "Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter Are Married". E! Online. Retrieved December 14, 2010.
- Snierson, Dan (December 13, 2010). "'Dexter' stars Michael C. Hall, Jennifer Carpenter file for divorce (EW exclusive)". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved December 14, 2010.
- "Michael C. Hall Divorce Finalized: Who is 'Dexter' Star Dating Now?". International Business Times. 2011-12-07. Retrieved 2013-04-27.
- "Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter Divorce 2011: Why Did 'Dexter' Co-stars Split?". EzineMark.
- "Seth Avett, Jennifer Carpenter Dating: Sources Say Newly Single Singer Is Romancing 'Dexter' Star". Huffington Post. June 12, 2013. Retrieved August 23, 2015.
- "Seth Avett and Jennifer Carpenter Welcome First Child". People. August 10, 2015. Retrieved August 23, 2015.
- Takeda, Allison (August 10, 2015). "Jennifer Carpenter Welcomes First Child With Fiance Seth Avett". Us Weekly. Retrieved August 23, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jennifer Carpenter.|