This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Autism rights movement|
Gerald David "Jerry" Newport (born August 19, 1948) is an author and public speaker with Asperger syndrome whose life was the basis for the 2005 feature-length movie Mozart and the Whale. He is known for his frank advice and humor when giving presentations. A graduate of the University of Michigan with a B.A. in mathematics, he is also a savant with the ability to perform difficult mathematical calculations in his head. He has two elder brothers, John and James (Jim).
In June 2010, Jerry Newport competed in the Mental Calculation World Cup in Magdeburg, Germany. He won four of ten events, a second and a third and the World Cup Trophy for "Most Versatile Calculator." On his 46th birthday, Jerry married Star Trek actress Mary Louise Meinel (born March 6, 1955), also a savant with Asperger Syndrome. While Jerry has advanced math skills, Mary is an artist and former music teacher. From previous relationships, she has two sons, Stephen and Peter, and two grandchildren. The couple lives in Arizona. They separated in 1997 and divorced in June 1999, though later reconciled and remarried on Valentine's Day 2002. Together, he and Mary released Autism-Aspergers & Sexuality: Puberty and Beyond on July 1, 2002 and Mozart and the Whale: An Asperger's Love Story on New Year's Day 2007.
- Newport, Jerry; Mary Meinel-Newport; Johnny Dodd (2007). Mozart and the Whale: An Asperger's Love Story. New York: Touchstone Books. ISBN 0-7432-7282-X.
- Newport, Jerry; Mary Meinel-Newport; Teresa Bolick (2002). Autism-Asperger's & Sexuality: Puberty and Beyond. Arlington, Texas: Future Horizons. ISBN 1-885477-88-0.
- Newport, Jerry (2001). Your life is not a label : a guide to living fully with autism and Asperger's syndrome for parents, professionals, and you!. Arlington, Texas: Future Horizons. ISBN 1-885477-77-5.
- O'Connor, Tom (June 9, 2005). "Duo raises money, awareness for MMI autism program" (Press release). University of Nebraska Medical Center. Archived from the original on July 21, 2011. Retrieved 2007-11-07. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Stahl, Lesley (September 29, 2004). "When Jerry Met Mary: Lesley Stahl Revisits A Couple Who Both Suffer From Autism". CBS. Retrieved 2007-11-08. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 2013 Workshop, Keynote, Presenters, Festival participants