|Autism rights movement|
Gerald David "Jerry" Newport (born August 19, 1948) is an author and public speaker with Asperger syndrome whose life was the basis for the 2005 feature-length movie Mozart and the Whale. He is known for his frank advice and humor when giving presentations. A graduate of the University of Michigan with a B.A. in mathematics, he is also a savant with the ability to perform difficult mathematical calculations in his head. He has two elder brothers, John and James (Jim).
In June 2010, Jerry Newport competed in the Mental Calculation World Cup in Magdeburg, Germany. He won four of ten events, a second and a third, and the World Cup Trophy for "Most Versatile Calculator". On his 46th birthday, he married Star Trek actress Mary Louise Meinel (born March 6, 1955), also a savant with Asperger Syndrome. While Newport has advanced math skills, Meinel is an artist and former music teacher. From previous relationships, she has two sons, Stephen and Peter, and two grandchildren. The couple lives in Arizona. They separated in 1997 and divorced in June 1999, though later reconciled and remarried on Valentine's Day 2002. Together, they released Autism-Aspergers & Sexuality: Puberty and Beyond on July 1, 2002, and Mozart and the Whale: An Asperger's Love Story on New Year's Day 2007.
- Newport, Jerry; Mary Meinel-Newport; Johnny Dodd (2007). Mozart and the Whale: An Asperger's Love Story. New York: Touchstone Books. ISBN 978-0-7432-7282-7.
- Newport, Jerry; Mary Meinel-Newport; Teresa Bolick (2002). Autism-Asperger's & Sexuality: Puberty and Beyond. Arlington, Texas: Future Horizons. ISBN 1-885477-88-0.
- Newport, Jerry (2001). Your life is not a label : a guide to living fully with autism and Asperger's syndrome for parents, professionals, and you!. Arlington, Texas: Future Horizons. ISBN 1-885477-77-5.
- "Mary Meinel-Newport". IMDb. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- O'Connor, Tom (June 9, 2005). "Duo raises money, awareness for MMI autism program" (Press release). University of Nebraska Medical Center. Archived from the original on July 21, 2011. Retrieved 2007-11-07.
- Stahl, Lesley (September 29, 2004). "When Jerry Met Mary: Lesley Stahl Revisits A Couple Who Both Suffer From Autism". CBS. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- 2013 Workshop, Keynote, Presenters, Festival participants