Jersey City Reservoir No. 3
Jersey City Reservoir 2 and 3
|Location||Central Avenue & Summit Avenue
Jersey City, New Jersey, USA
|Area||13.8 acres (5.6 ha)|
|Architectural style||Egyptian Revival
|NRHP reference #||12000569|
|Added to NRHP||August 27, 2012|
|Designated NJRHP||April 10, 2012|
Jersey City Reservoir No. 3 is a decommissioned reservoir atop Bergen Hill in the Heights of Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, United States, situated on approximately 13.8 acres (5.6 ha) just south of Pershing Field. It was built between 1871 and 1874 as part of the city's waterworks system designed to provide potable water to the city, including Ellis Island. Its perimeter wall is in the Egyptian Revival style and pump stations are in the Romanesque Revival style. The reservoir provided drinking water until the 1980s, when it was drained and abandoned for a larger reservoir at the Boonton Gorge. Since that time, a mini-ecosystem has taken root time behind the thick, 20-feet tall stone walls including trees, wildflowers, swans, great blue heron, peregrine falcons, and at its center, a 6-acre (2.4 ha) lake. This urban wildlife preserve hosts numerous animal and plant species not otherwise found in an urban environment. It was listed on the state and the federal registers of historic places in 2012. Nearby Reservoir No. 1 was located on either side of Summit Avenue and has been demolished.
The Jersey City Reservoir Preservation Alliance, started in 2002, runs the maintenance and supervision programs necessary to keep the park open to the public every Saturday from May-October. The Alliance also runs summertime programming in arts, music, and recreation to bring new and returning community members to the space. The Alliance received the Ted Conrad “Preservationist of the Year” Award in 2005.
- Hackensack Water Company Complex
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Hudson County, New Jersey
- Jersey City Reservoir Preservation Alliance
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Hudson County". New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Reservoir No. 3 Historic Preservation Plan (RFP)" (PDF). City of Jersey City. 2009. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Jersey City Water Works". Jersey City A to Z. New Jersey City University. Archived from the original on 2009-01-09. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Jersey City Water Works (Reservoir 3)". Jersey City A to Z. New Jersey City University. Archived from the original on 2012-01-16. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Reservoir No. 3". Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Pershing Field". 1921: Jersey City Under Commission Government A Book of Achievement. City of Jersey City. 1921. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Jersey City's Water Supply". 1921: Jersey City Under Commission Government A Book of Achievement. City of Jersey City. 1921. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- TAM Associates (May 2001). Jersey City Reservoir #3 (PDF). Jersey City Recreation Master Plan (Report). City of Jersey City. p. 101. Retrieved 2012-02-26.