Lawrence at the AHA 2012 Hero Dog Awards
|Born||Joseph Lawrence Mignogna, Jr.
April 20, 1976
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Other names||Joe Lawrence, Joseph Lawrence|
|Occupation||Actor, singer-songwriter, record producer|
|Spouse(s)||Michelle Vella (m. 2002–04)
Chandie Yawn-Nelson (m. 2005)
Joseph Lawrence Mignogna Jr. (born April 20, 1976), is an American actor, singer, and game show host. He is known for his roles as Joey Donovan in the TV series Gimme a Break!, Joey Russo in Blossom, Joe Roman (the eldest brother of three with his real life brothers) in Brotherly Love, and as Joe Longo in Melissa & Joey.
Lawrence was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the son of Donna, a personnel manager and former elementary school teacher, and Joseph Lawrence Mignogna, Sr., an insurance broker. He is of half Italian descent. His family's surname was changed to "Lawrence" during his childhood. He has two younger brothers, Matthew and Andrew, who are also actors.
Lawrence's first acting role was in a Cracker Jack commercial. At the age of five, he appeared on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, where he performed the song "Give My Regards to Broadway". After appearing in guest spots on Diff'rent Strokes and Silver Spoons, Lawrence won the role of Joey Donovan on the hit NBC sitcom Gimme a Break! in 1983. He continued in that role until the series ended in 1987. 1985 marked Lawrence's theatrical debut with the release of Summer Rental. Lawrence provided the voice of Oliver, the protagonist in the 1988 Disney film Oliver & Company.
From 1991 to 1995, Lawrence co-starred in the hit TV series Blossom, in which he played Joey Russo.
Lawrence has also starred in the series Brotherly Love (which featured his real life brothers Matthew and Andrew Lawrence) and Run of the House, and has guest starred on such programs as American Dreams and CSI: NY. One of Lawrence's film credits is Urban Legends: Final Cut (2000) in which he costarred with Jennifer Morrison, Matthew Davis, and Hart Bochner.
In 2006, Lawrence appeared on ABC's Dancing with the Stars. Paired with professional dancer Edyta Śliwińska, he placed third in the competition. In May 2007, he starred in the Broadway hit Chicago as Billy Flynn. He next hosted a dance competition show on The Learning Channel, Master of Dance, which premiered June 9, 2008.
In 2009, Lawrence starred in the television movie My Fake Fiancé with Melissa Joan Hart, which premiered on ABC Family to 3.6 million viewers, becoming the most-watched television movie of the ratings season, sweeping top rank in its time-period in key demos. In August 2010, Lawrence returned to television in the ABC Family sitcom Melissa & Joey, again opposite Melissa Joan Hart. Hart plays a woman who hires Lawrence as a nanny to help care for her incarcerated sister's kids. Lawrence's character is a former figure in the financial industry whose company came under investigation for wrongdoing and caused his professional life to be put on hold. Lawrence's brothers have guest starred on the show. Matthew Lawrence played Tony Longo in season 1 episode 25 and Andrew Lawrence appeared in season 1 episode 26 as Ryder Scanlan's teacher, Evan McKay. As of 2014, the series has been renewed for its fourth season.
Lawrence has said that music was always his passion, and at the height of his success began a recording career. Lawrence was 16 when his debut album Joey Lawrence was released in February 1993. Produced by Steve Barri, Tony Peluso, Terry Lupton, Ian Prince and Teddy Riley, Lawrence co-wrote some material, including the international hit single "Nothin' My Love Can't Fix" (#6 Billboard Hot 100 Airplay, #10 Billboard Top 40 Mainstream, #19 Billboard Hot 100, #13 United Kingdom, #68 Australia). The song was used as the end-title theme from the movie Cop and a Half; its music video received heavy airplay on MTV and MuchMusic, and Lawrence was invited to perform live on MTV's Spring Break, The Arsenio Hall Show, and the UK's Top of the Pops in 1993.
In July 2008, Lawrence told TV Guide that he was working on a new album composed mostly of ballads. In June 2011, he released his new single entitled Rolled, which was available as a free download for one week on ABCFamily's website. In July, Joey released a second single, "Give It To Ya (Acoustic)" via Pledge Music.
Lawrence married Michelle Vella in 2002; the couple divorced in 2004. He met his second wife, Chandie Yawn-Nelson, while on vacation in Disney World when the two were teenagers; they married there 13 years later, in July 2005. The couple have two daughters, Charli, born in 2006 and Liberty, born in 2010.
|1985||Summer Rental||Bobby Chester|
|1988||Oliver & Company||Oliver (voice)|
|1994||Radioland Murders||Frankie Marshall|
|1995||Goofy Movie, AA Goofy Movie||Chad (voice)|
|2000||Urban Legends: Final Cut||Graham Manning|
|2000||Desperate But Not Serious||Darby|
|2001||Do You Wanna Know a Secret?||Hank Ford|
|2001||Christmas Adventure ...From a Book Called Wisely's Tales, AA Christmas Adventure ...From a Book Called Wisely's Tales||Wolfpack Leader (voice)||Video|
|2002||Trois 2: Pandora's Box||Det. Anderson|
|2006||Rest Stop||Officer Michael Deacon||Video|
|2008||Killer Pad||Joey Lawrence|
|2008||Together Again For The First Time||Carey Krzyznyk||Video|
|2010||Sinatra Club||Louie 'Pipes' Pepitone|
|2011||Tumor & Gooch||Gooch||Short film|
|1982||Diff'rent Strokes||Joey||Episode: "Big Brother"|
|1982||Silver Spoons||Joey Thompson||Episode: "The Best Christmas Ever"|
|1983||Wait till Your Mother Gets Home!||Chris Peters|
|1983–87||Gimme a Break!||Joey Donovan||Main role (77 episodes)|
|1984||Young People's Specials||Billy||Episode: "Umbrella Jack"|
|1985||ABC Afterschool Special||Mattie||Episode: "Don't Touch"|
|1989||Adventures in Babysitting||Brad Anderson||Pilot|
|1990–95||Blossom||Joey Russo||Main role (114 episodes)|
|1991||Chains of Gold||Tommy|
|1993||Olsen Twins Mother's Day Special||Singer|
|1993||Almost Home||Jeff Thornton||Episode: "Girls and Boy"|
|1993||Empty Nest||Wade||Episode: "Aunt Verne Knows Best"|
|1995||John Larroquette Show, TheThe John Larroquette Show||Carly's Brother||Episode: "Whipping Post"|
|1995||Something Wilder||J.J. Travis||Episode: "Bergman of Alcatraz"|
|1995||Prince for a Day||Ralph Bitondo / Ricky Prince|
|1995–97||Brotherly Love||Joe Roman||Main role (40 episodes)|
|1996||Brothers of the Frontier||Ethan Frye|
|1999||Touched by an Angel||Jesse||Episode: "Fool for Love"|
|1999||Horse Sense||Michael Woods|
|1999||Recess||Franklin Dudikoff (voice)||Episode: "The Dude"|
|2001||Jumping Ship||Michael Woods|
|2002||Romantic Comedy 101||Mark Gibson|
|2002||Zeta Project, TheThe Zeta Project||Dex Finley (voice)||Episode: "Eye of the Storm"|
|2002–03||American Dreams||Michael Brooks||11 episodes|
|2003–04||Run of the House||Kurt Franklin||19 episodes|
|2004||Love Rules!||Michael Warner|
|2005||Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber||Ferguson|
|2005–06||Half & Half||Brett Mahoney||9 episodes|
|2007||CSI: NY||Clay Dobson||3 episodes|
|2007-08||Emperor's New School, TheThe Emperor's New School||Dirk Brock (voice)||2 episodes|
|2009||My Fake Fiancé||Vince|
|2010–15||Melissa & Joey||Joe Longo||Main role (104 episodes)|
|2011||Dog Who Saved Halloween, TheThe Dog Who Saved Halloween||Zeus|
|2012||Hitched for the Holidays||Rob Marino|
|2012||The Dog Who Saved The Hollidays||Zeus|
|2013||Splash (ABC U.S. show)||Himself||Co-host|
||This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
US Promo CD
- Nothin' My Love Can't Fix (LP Version) 3:59
- Nothin' My Love Can't Fix (D. Abraham Slam Mix) 4:00
- Nothin' My Love Can't Fix (D. Abraham Alternate Slam Mix) 4:24
- Nothin' My Love Can't Fix (Slam Fade Mix) 3:40
- Nothin' My Love Can't Fix (D. Abraham Alternate Extended Mix) 5:13
- Nothin' My Love Can't Fix 4:06
- Nothin' My Love Can't Fix [D Abraham Slam Mix] 4:02
- Nothin' My Love Can't Fix [D Abraham Alternate Extended Mix] 5:13
- 1993: "Stay Forever" (#52 US Hot 100)
- Stay Forever (Album Version — Fade) 4:04
- Stay Forever (Groove Mix) 4:05
- Stay Forever (Street Corner Beat Box — Edit) 3:45
- Stay Forever (Spanglish) 3:57
- Stay Forever 4:22
- I Can't Help Myself (Alternative Mix)4:05
- I Can't Help Myself (12" Edit)4:01
- Joey Interview (Part II) 5:08
- 1993: "I Can't Help Myself" (#27 UK Single Charts)
- I Can't Help Myself 4:25
- Joey Lawrence Interview 4:15
- Nothin' My Love Can't Fix (instrumental remix) 3:59
- Nothin' My Love Can't Fix (D. Abraham Alternate Slam Mix) 4:00
- 1997: "Ven Ven Conmigo"
- Ven Ven Conmigo
- Never Gonna Change My Mind
- 1997: "Never Gonna Change My Mind"
- Never Gonna Change My Mind (soul version) 3:45
- Never Gonna Change My Mind (Mr. Mig & Adam World Mix) 4:05
- Never Gonna Change My Mind (Jason Nevins Radio Remix) 3:59
- Never Gonna Change My Mind (Jason Nevins Import Club Mix) 8:57
- 2011: "Rolled"
- 2011: "Give It To Ya" (acoustic)
- "Joey Lawrence Briography". TV.com. http://www.tv.com.
- Gliatto, Tom (March 15, 1993). "A Method to His Doofus". People.COM. Retrieved September 23, 2011.
- Joey Lawrence Biography (1976-)
- "Grown Up Joey Lawrence Kept the 'Y' - Here's Why". PopEater.com. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- Gostin, Nicki (July 26, 2010). "Grown Up Joey Lawrence Kept the 'Y' -- Here's Why". PopEater.COM. Retrieved September 23, 2011.
- Radovsky, Vicki Jo (April 23, 1993). "Stonecoldfox". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 23, 2011.
- Lipton, Michael A. (1994-06-27). "Class of '94". People 41 (24). ISSN 0093-7673.
- "Joey Lawrence: Biography". tvguide.com. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- Snierson, Dan (October 16, 2002). "'Whoa' Be Gone". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 23, 2011.
- Gans, Andrew (2007-05-04). "Joey Lawrence Joins Broadway's Chicago May 4". playbill.com. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- Master of Dance : TLC
- Bockelman, Andy (2010-04-01). "Melissa Joan Hart, Nikki Blonsky Among Stars To Appear In New ABC Family Shows". allheadlinenews.com. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- "Hart & Lawrence Land New Sitcom". Retrieved 2010-02-02.
- "Joey Lawrence – Whoa, I'm a Stripper!". TMZ (website). May 16, 2012. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- "Joey Lawrence: Billboard chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- "Joey Lawrence: What are Joey Lawrence's upcoming projects?". tvguide.com. 2008-07-18. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- "ABC Family's Hit Comedy "Melissa & Joey" Returns With All-New Episodes, Premiering Wednesday, June 29 at 8:00 ET/PT". thefutoncritic.com. 2011-06-24. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- "Give it to ya". PledgeMusic. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- Rizzo, Monica (2006-11-13). "Whoa, It's Joey!". People 66 (20). ISSN 0093-7673.
- Michaud, Sarah (2009-11-13). "Joey Lawrence, Wife Expecting Second Daughter". people.com. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- Michaud, Sarah (2010-03-04). "Joey Lawrence Welcomes Second Daughter". people.com. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- Billboard.com Chart History Joey Lawrence album
- "Joey Lawrence Discography at Discogs". Discogs.com. 1976-04-20. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- Billboard.com Chart History Joey Lawrence
- Everyhit.com Search Result s
- Billboard.com Chart History Joey Lawrence Stay Forever
- Everyhit.com Search Results
- Official website
- Joey Lawrence at the Internet Broadway Database
- Joey Lawrence at the Internet Movie Database
- Joey Lawrence discography at Discogs
|Awards and achievements|
Stacy Keibler & Tony Dovolani
|Dancing with the Stars (US) third place contestant
Season 3 (Fall 2006 with Edyta Śliwińska)
Laila Ali & Maksim Chmerkovskiy