Johnny Harris (actor)
3 November 1973 |
Lambeth, London, England, UK
Johnny Harris is an English Actor/Writer/Producer best known for his roles in both film and T.V, including Jawbone, Snow White and the Huntsman, "This is England '86", Fortitude, From Darkness and the highly acclaimed London to Brighton.
He received both BAFTA and Royal Television Society Award nominations for his performance in the Shane Meadows cult television series This Is England '86 and has also appeared in leading roles in Monsters: Dark Continent, Welcome to the Punch, and Jack Thorne's BAFTA Award-winning TV show The Fades.
Johnny's debut as a screenwriter came in 2017, with the feature film Jawbone. Harris co-produced the film, and also starred alongside Ray Winstone, Ian McShane and Michael Smiley, with Paul Weller composing and recording an original soundtrack for the movie. Boxing legend Barry McGuigan and his son, the esteemed trainer Shane McGuigan served as boxing consultants on the movie, and prepared Harris for the lead role. The film was backed by BBC Films and was released nationwide in cinemas in May 2017, receiving huge critical acclaim.
Johnny Harris was born in Lambeth, London, in November 1973.
Harris started his career on the stage in London's fringe theatre scene before landing his breakthrough role in the feature film London to Brighton. Despite being made on a tiny budget, the film went on to be voted into Time Out magazine's '100 Greatest British Movies Of All Time' and is now widely regarded as a cult classic with noteworthy actors and directors regarding Johnny's performance as "outstanding" and "astonishing."
In an interview in The Independent on Sunday at the time of the film's release, celebrated British director Shane Meadows said of Harris' performance in the film: "It's an incredibly bold and massively powerful performance, the best I've seen on celluloid for a long time."
Four years later, Harris’ breakthrough role came when Meadows cast him in This Is England '86 and his portrayal of Lol's abusive father in the show saw him receive both BAFTA and The Royal Television Society Award nominations for his performance. The following year he reprised the chilling role of Mick in This Is England '88 with the show winning the BAFTA TV Award for Best Mini-Series.
In 2012 he was back in cinemas in Universal Pictures smash hit film Snow White and the Huntsman starring Kristen Stewart and Charlize Theron. He played one of the eight dwarves alongside the late Bob Hoskins, Ray Winstone, Ian McShane, Nick Frost, Toby Jones, Eddie Marsan, and Brian Gleeson.
Nev Pierce, Editor of Empire Magazine, has described Johnny as "An heir to Oldman, in terms of being able to be both sensitive and scary, indelible and real." The Independent described Harris as “One of Britain’s finest actors”.
In 2015, Johnny stars in the hit new Sky Atlantic/Pivot 12-part drama Fortitude alongside Sir Michael Gambon, Stanley Tucci, and Christopher Eccleston. The show was shot on location in Iceland and London and aired exclusively on both sides of the atlantic in January 2015. He also received critical acclaim for his performance as American Platoon Sergeant Noah Frater in the feature film Monsters: Dark Continent, the sequel to the Gareth Edwards hit film Monsters, his first starring role in a feature film.
2015 also saw Johnny return as 'Mick' in This Is England '90. The final instalment of the hugely successful series. He also starred as DCI John Hind, opposite Anne-Marie Duff in From Darkness, a new four-part drama for BBC1. Filming took place on location in Manchester and Scotland.
In February 2016, filming began on Johnny's debut screenplay Jawbone. Harris co-produced the film and also starred alongside Ray Winstone, Ian McShane and Michael Smiley, with Paul Weller composing and recording an original soundtrack for the movie. Boxing legend Barry McGuigan and his son, the esteemed trainer Shane McGuigan served as boxing consultants on the movie, and prepared Harris for the lead role. The film was backed by BBC Films and was shot on location in London, and the West Midlands. Jawbone was released nationwide in cinemas on May 12, 2017, receiving huge critical acclaim.
- "Jawbone" (2017)
- Monsters: Dark Continent (2015)
- The Last Days on Mars (2013)
- Welcome to the Punch (2013)
- Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)
- Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie (2010)
- Black Death (2010)
- Dorian Gray (2009)
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)
- RocknRolla (2008)
- Daylight Robbery (2008)
- Atonement (2007)
- London to Brighton (2006)
- Gangster No. 1 (2000)
Selected TV work
- Troy: Fall of a City (2018)
- From Darkness (2015)
- This is England '90 (2015)
- Fortitude (2014)
- This Is England '88 (2011) - Winner BAFTA Television Award for Best Mini-Series
- The Fades (2011) - Winner BAFTA Television Award for Best Drama Series
- Home (2011)
- This Is England '86 (2010) - Nominated BAFTA Television Award for Best Supporting Actor, and Nominated Royal Television Society Award for Best Actor
- Law & Order: UK (2010)
- The Passion (2008)
- Clapham Junction (2007)
- HolbyBlue (2007)
- EastEnders (2005)
- The Bill (2002)
- Holby City (2000)
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Johnny Harris (actor)|
- http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s257/fortitude/news/a623092/fortitude-michael-gambon-and-johnny-harris-talk-rogue-secrets.html#~p28LXdWW02QA5N Johnny Harris and Michael Gambon discuss their characters in Fortitude.
- http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jason-holmes/johnny-harris-an-actor-with-rare-depth-character_b_2242467.html – Interview with BAFTA nominated actor Johnny Harris.
- https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/streetfighting-man-still-packs-a-real-punch-2374939.html The Independent meets actor Johnny Harris
- http://www.moviescopemag.com/features/actor-johnny-harris-the-power-of-hindsight/ – Moviescope 'Cannes edition' piece on actor Johnny Harris.
- http://www.bigissue.com/features/interviews/1588/johnny-harris-we-were-real-unit-we-formed-real-bond – 'The Big Issue' interviews Johnny Harris.
- http://www.gojicollective.co.uk/entertainment/packing-punch-award-winning-actor-johnny-harris-speaks-goji – Goji Collective article on actor Johnny Harris.
- http://myfilms2010.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/interview-with-johnny-harris.html Interview with Johnny Harris.
- Living Proof Films Blog; This Is England ’86 – Johnny Harris talks about playing the role of Mick. 8 October 2010.
- Johnny Harris on IMDb