Knight in 2014
|Birth name||Jordan Nathaniel Marcel Knight|
|Born||May 17, 1970|
|Origin||Worcester, Massachusetts, United States|
|Genres||Dance-pop, adult contemporary, urban, soft rock|
|Associated acts||New Kids on the Block, NKOTBSB, Deborah Gibson, Nick & Knight|
Jordan Nathaniel Marcel Knight (born May 17, 1970) is an American singer-songwriter best known as the lead singer in the boy band New Kids on the Block (NKOTB), and as an actor, who rose to fame in the 1980s and 1990s. He is best known for his distinctive falsetto style of singing, influenced by The Stylistics. After New Kids on the Block split, he launched a solo career. Jordan's first solo album, released in 1999, and his latest solo album, released in 2011, reached the Top 50 on the US Billboard 200. As of 2011, he released four Top 40 singles; the most well known being "Give It to You" in 1999. He has released three studio albums, one remix album and one EP. On May 31, 2011, he released the studio album, Unfinished. Knight has sold over 1.5 million records worldwide as a solo artist. In 2015, Boston City Council declared February 7 "Jordan Knight Day."
Early life and career
Knight was born in Worcester, Massachusetts. He is the youngest of 6 children: Allison, Sharon, David, Christopher, and Jonathan. Both his parents are Episcopal priests. He was close to 14 in 1984 when he joined New Kids on the Block, a band assembled in Boston by producer Maurice Starr. His fellow members included his brother, Jonathan Knight, as well as Joey McIntyre, Donnie Wahlberg, and Danny Wood. Over the next few years he began teaching himself piano and keyboard instruments, and writing songs. Starr, who wrote much of the New Kids material, was reluctant to add his work to the band's repertoire.
New Kids on the Block sold over 70 million albums worldwide, generated hundreds of million of dollars of concert revenues, and paved the way for later boy bands like Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC. New Kids on the Block disbanded in 1994, but reunited in 2008.
Knight made a comeback in 1999 by releasing his first solo single, "Give It To You". The single reached #10 on Billboard Hot 100, went gold, and was nominated for the 1999 MTV Video Music Award for Best Dance Video, though it lost to Ricky Martin's Livin' La Vida Loca. He was also nominated for Favorite Male Singer at the 2000 Kids' Choice Awards. The single also peaked at #35 on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart. The album Jordan Knight won an Aspire Music Award for Best Male Album (Pop). Jordan's self-titled debut album was then certified gold for sales of over 500,000 copies in the US on July 7, 1999. The album peaked at #29 on the Billboard 200 and #9 on the Top Internet Albums chart. In 2008 the New Kids on the Block reunited and released 2 top 40 hits and went on a successful tour. As of fall 2010, they have teamed up with the Backstreet Boys (BSB), creating the biggest boy band in history, NKOTBSB, and toured in summer 2011.
Knight released a remix album, Jordan Knight Performs New Kids on the Block, in 2004.
In 2005, Knight released an EP entitled The Fix supported by the lead single "Where is Your Heart Tonight", which reached its peak at #12 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. He continued to tour extensively in 2005–2006 promoting the EP.
In September 2006, Knight's next album, Love Songs, was released by Transcontinental Records. The first single was "Say Goodbye", a duet with Deborah Gibson, that peaked at #24 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart.
In May 31, 2011, Knight released his third solo album, Unfinished. The album reached #8 on the US Billboard Independent Albums chart, #48 on the US Billboard 200 and #55 in Canada. He announced began his Live and Unfinished Tour on December 11, 2011. Knight performed the announced dates with Boston-based band Elevation Theory.
Knight was a judge on the American Idol spin-off, American Juniors. He was a third-season cast member on the VH1 reality television series The Surreal Life with other celebrities in 2004. He later appeared in the 2007 spin-off The Surreal Life: Fame Games, but left during the filming of the premiere episode because of the death of his maternal grandmother.
In September 2005, Knight also starred in a British documentary on Five in the UK called Trust Me – I'm a Holiday Rep. Six celebrities spent 10 days in the role of an Olympic Holidays holiday rep in Ayia Napa, Cyprus. He initially lacked enthusiasm for the role, which he blamed to some extent on his shyness, but came to enjoy it. In his final debriefing he earned praise from the head reps, who said they would (hypothetically) offer him a job as a children's and transfer rep.
Knight is married to Evelyn Melendez and has two children. Their first son, Dante Jordan, was born on August 25, 1999. Their second son, Eric Jacob, was born on February 21, 2007.
New Kids on the Block albums
- New Kids on the Block (1986) #25 US (3× Platinum), #6 UK (Silver)
- Hangin' Tough (1988) #1 US (8× Platinum), #1 UK (2× Platinum)
- Merry, Merry Christmas (1989) #9 US (2× Platinum), #13 UK (Gold)
- Step by Step (1990) #1 US (3× Platinum), #1 UK (Platinum)
- No More Games: The Remix Album (1991) #19 US (Gold), #15 UK
- H.I.T.S. (1991) #50 UK
- Face the Music (1994) #37 US, #36 UK
- Greatest Hits (1999) #22 US
- The Block (2008) #2 US, #1 CRIA (Gold)
- NKOTBSB (2011) #7 US
- 10 (2013) #6 US
- Jordan Knight (1999) #29 US (Gold)
- Love Songs (2006)
- Unfinished (2011) #48 US, #8 US Independent, #55 CAN
Remix albums and EPs
- Nick & Knight (2014)
- "Give It to You" (1999), #5 UK #10 US Billboard Hot 100 (Gold), #11 CAN, #14 US Top 40 Mainstream
- "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" (1999) #37 US Top 40 Mainstream
- "Close My Eyes" (1999)
- "Where Is Your Heart Tonight" (2005) #12 US Adult Contemporary
- "Say Goodbye" (Duet with Deborah Gibson) (2006) #24 US Adult Contemporary
- "Let's Go Higher" (2011)
- "Stingy" (featuring Donnie Wahlberg) (2011)
- "One More Night" (2011)
- "Angel of Love" featuring Ana
- "Can I Come Over Tonight?" (also a bonus track on the UK edition of Jordan Knight)
- "My Heart's Saying Now" (Snow Day soundtrack)
- "Your Vibe" (Popstar soundtrack)
- "One On One" (Best Buy Bonus track from Love Songs, Hall & Oates cover.
- Biography for Jordan Knight http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005100/bio
- Van Gelder, Lawrence (April 2008). "Like Old Times for the New Kids". New York Times: 4.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 306. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Body Language. "Body Language: Ana: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- YM Hot Tracks, Vol. 1. "YM Hot Tracks, Vol. 1: Various Artists: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- Snow Day: Music From The Motion Picture. "Snow Day: Music From The Motion Picture: Various Artists - Soundtracks: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- "Popstar: Boris Zelkin, Deeji Mincey: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- Jordan Knight - Love Songs Customer Reviews. "Jordan Knight - Love Songs Reviews". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2015-05-12.
- Jordan Knight - One On One. "Jordan Knight - One On One". YouTube.com. Retrieved 2015-05-12.
- Official website (US)
- Official website (UK)
- Jordan Knight at the Internet Movie Database
- Trans Continental Records