|Born||María Angélica Ayllón Urbina|
February 7, 1956
|Occupation(s)||Singer • songwriter • record producer|
Eva María Angélica Ayllón Urbina (born February 7, 1956) better known by her stage name Eva Ayllón, is a female composer and singer, one of Peru's foremost Afro-Peruvian musicians, and one of the country's most enduring living legends. She held the record for most nominations without a winning the Latin Grammy Award for Best Folk Album. In 2019, she received the Latin Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.
Also known as La Reina del Landó, Ayllón is a winner of the Latin Grammy for Musical Excellence for her contribution to Peruvian culture, and has been nominated ten times for Best Folk Album. Considered as one of the icons of Creole and musica criolla, Ayllón also ventured into various musical genres and collaborated with a number of prominent artists such as Gilberto Santa Rosa, Soledad Pastorutti, Marc Anthony, Armando Manzanero, Raphael, Diego el Cigala, and José Luis Rodríguez.
Ayllón was raised in a traditional Limeño family with her maternal grandmother. Ayllón adopted the stage name "Eva" from her maternal grandmother, Eva, who initiated her in vocalization at the age of three. As a child and teen, Eva Ayllón sang in school competitions and later on television and radio. Throughout the early 1970s, Eva appeared in many música criolla musical groups (locally called "peñas criollas") such as Rinconcito Monsefuano, La peña de los Ugarte, Los Mundialistas o Callejón and Los Kipus. Ayllón sang as the lead voice in this popular trio from 1973 through 1975, eventually leaving the group to pursue a solo career.
In 1979, Ayllón began touring internationally, with appearances in Europe, the United States, Canada, and Japan and since then her music and live performances are requested on a yearly basis at international music events. In 1989, Ayllón was invited to join Los Hijos del Sol, a supergroup made up of Peruvian musical stars, developed by producer Ricardo Ghibellini in an effort to promote Peruvian music through performance and recording.
Ayllón released her first US album, Eva! Leyenda Peruana, on Times Square Records in 2004. Since then, Ayllón's musical presence continues to expand boundaries. In her commitment to broaden the awareness of Afro-Peruvian culture, Ayllón changed her residence from Lima, Peru to New Jersey that same year. Leyenda Peruana gained praise and recognition in different latitudes, and in Germany it received the Critic's Choice Award for Best Traditional Recording.
In 2007, Ayllón participated as a judge at Latin America's largest music festival, the Viña del Mar International Song Festival. In April, Ayllón released a live concert DVD recording titled Live from Hollywood.
Ayllón has produced over 30 records, and nominated ten times to the Latin Grammy. Her latest release "48 años después", is a compilation of her greatest hits, and revisits the musical styles that she has performed over the last four decades. In 2008 she performed at a sold out Carnegie Hall on November 8 in New York.
- Kipus y Eva (Iempsa, 1977)
- Esta noche (Sonodisc 1979)
- Al ritmo de Eva Ayllón (Sono Radio, 1980)
- Señoras y señores (Sono Radio, 1981)
- Cuando hacemos el amor (Sono Radio, 1982)
- Eva Ayllón (CBS, 1983)
- Eva Ayllón en escena (CBS, 1984)
- Para mi gente (CBS, 1985)
- Para Todos (CBS, 1986)
- Huellas (CBS, 1987)
- Landó de la vida y yo (Sono Radio, 1989)
- Eva siempre Eva (Sono Sur, 1990)
- Concierto de gala en vivo (Discos Independientes, 1992)
- Gracias a la vida (Discos Independientes, 1993)
- Para tenerte (Discos Independientes, 1994)
- 25 años, 25 éxitos (Discos Independientes, 1995)
- Ritmo color y sabor (Discos Independientes, 1996)
- Amanecer en ti (Discos Independientes, 1998)
- Juntos llevamos la Paz (Pro Estudios, 1999)
- 30 años en Vivo (Iempsa, 2000)
- Eva (Sony 2002)
- Eva! Leyenda Peruana (Times Square Records, 2004)
- Live From Hollywood DVD (NIDO Entertainment, 2007)
- Kimba Fá (Times Square Records, 2008)
- Canta A Chabuca Granda (SURA MUSIC S.R.L, 2009)
- Celebra 40 Años Enamorada Del Perú
- Eva + Inti Illimani Histórico (Macondo Koncerte, 2009)
- Como la primera vez (Aylloncito Producciones, 2014)
- Un Bolero Un Vals 1 (Aylloncito Producciones, 2015)
- Clavo y Canela (Aylloncito Producciones, 2017)
- Sencillamente Eva (Aylloncito Producciones, 2018)
- 48 Años después (Aylloncito Producciones, 2018)
- Un Bolero Un Vals 2 (Aylloncito Producciones, 2019)
- PERU21, NOTICIAS (July 27, 2019). "Eva Ayllón: "Me siento contenta de sanar almas, la voz sana corazones" | CULTURA". Peru21 (in Spanish). Retrieved January 14, 2021.
- GESTIÓN, NOTICIAS (November 14, 2019). "Grammy Latino 2019: Eva Ayllón recibió el Premio a la Excelencia en la gala | Gian Marco | TENDENCIAS". Gestión (in Spanish). Retrieved January 14, 2021.
- Prensa (October 31, 2018). "Los 7 éxitos de Eva Ayllon para disfrutar el Día de la canción criolla". Epistre Tv (in Spanish). Retrieved January 14, 2021.