She studied chemical engineering at Imperial College, London, then worked for Exxon Chemicals for 15 years at the Fawley Refinery. After further industrial experience she held senior positions at the Chemical Industries Association and the European Chemical Industries Council (CEFIC) before being appointed Chair of the Health and Safety Commission in 2007. She became Chair of the Health and Safety Executive on 1 April 2009 when the two organizations merged.
She is a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering, and of the Institution of Chemical Engineers, and became in 2006 a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE), for services to health and safety.
She was President of the Institution of Chemical Engineers 2013–14.
- "List of Fellows".
- Debrett's People of Today Ms Judith Hackitt, CBE Authorised Biography
- HSE Website Judith E Hackitt CBE
- "Judith Hackitt CBE FREng named new President of the Institution of Chemical Engineers". http://www.chemicalprocessing.com/industrynews/2013/judith-hackitt-named-new-icheme-president/. PutmanMedia.
- IChemE Annual Review 2013
- Judith Hackitt speaks video interview