Julian Wilson (surfer)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
November 8, 1988 |
Coolum Beach, Queensland, Australia
|Residence||Coolum Beach, Queensland|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||175 lb (79 kg)|
|Best year||2013 - Ranked #5 on the ASP World Tour|
|Sponsors||Hurley Clothing, Nike Footwear, Red Bull Energy, Oakley Eyewear, FCS traction and fins, Sunbum Sunsecreen, Catch Surf and JS Industries surfboards |
|Major achievements||2 ASP World Tour stage wins (2012 Rip Curl Pro Portugal; 2014 Billabong Pipe Masters)
Triple Crown champion (2014).
|Quiver||6'0 x 18 1/2” x 2 ¼”|
|Favorite waves||coolum beach,huntington pier|
|Favorite maneuvers||Barrels, air reverse, sushi roll|
Wilson was born and raised in Coolum Beach, Queensland. He is an ambassador for the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Wilson's mother is a breast cancer survivor, and he was inspired to ride a pink board by close family friend and international cricketer Matt Hayden, who plays with a pink bat for the same cause.
Wilson was in the water during the final of the J-Bay Open 2015 in South Africa when three-time world champion Mick Fanning was attacked by a great white shark. He paddled towards Fanning to assist, was praised for his action and subsequently hailed as a hero. The event was cancelled. Both surfers escaped unharmed and were given a shared victory. Following the ordeal, Wilson gave a tear-filled interview, and when asked "You guys are locked in a title battle right now, and to put things into perspective does that mean anything to you at this point in time?" he replied "No, not at all, I'm just happy he's alive."
- Won first ASP World Tour event – Rip Curl Pro Portugal (Peniche, Portugal)
- Ranked #9 on the 2012 ASP World Tour rankings
- Won first ASP Prime event title – Mr Price Pro Ballito (Ballito, South Africa)
- Won second ASP World Tour event – Billabong Pipe Masters (Hawaii, United States)
Won 2014 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing
- Co-Won (with Mick Fanning) Third Asp World Tour event – J-Bay Open
|ASP World Tour Wins|
|2012||Rip Curl Pro Portugal||Supertubos Beach, Peniche||Portugal|
|2014||Billabong Pipe Masters||Sunset Beach, Oahu||Hawaii|
- "ASP Surfer Profile: Julian Wilson". ASPWorldTour.com.
- "About Julian Wilson". JulianWilson.com.
- Carlyon, Patrick (25 July 2015). "Surfer Julian Wilson's mum, Nola, says reluctant hero son is a 'brave soul'". Herald Sun. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Competition canceled after surfer Mick Fanning escapes shark attack". CNN. 19 June 2015. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "2011 ASP World Championship" (PDF). aspworldtour.com.
- "2012 ASP World Tour Rankings". aspworldtour.com. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
|This article about an Australian surfer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|