- For the Bengali politician, see Muzaffar Ahmed.
|First appearance||Bhoyonkor Sundor|
|Last appearance||Golokdhandhay Kakababu|
|Created by||Sunil Gangopadhyay|
|Portrayed by||Samit Bhanja
|Aliases||Raja Roy Chowdhury|
|Family||Sunanda Roy Chowdhury/Sontu(nephew)|
Kakababu (কাকাবাবু) is a fictional character created by Bengali author Sunil Gangopadhyay, that has become legendary in Indian children's literature. The series, falling under the adventure genre of literature, targeted at children and teenagers, started in the autumn of 1979 with the publication of Bhoyonkor Sundor in Anandamela magazine, puja number. Since then, the series continued for 33 years on popular demand, with over 36 adventure novels in print until the death of the author in 2012. The publishers of most of Kakababu adventure books are Ananda Publishers, based in Kolkata, India.
- Kakababu: Kakababu is a crippled (handicapped) ex-Director of the Archaeological Survey of India, whose real name is Raja Roychowdhury. In one of the earlier stories, it is said that Kakababu lost one leg in a jeep accident in Afghanistan, several years ago, and walks with the help of a crutch. However, in "Kakabaubur Prothom Abhijan", it is revealed that Kakababu lost his leg when he jumped of a cliff to help his friend Kamal. This accident however has not crippled his strong mental will and physical strength. He is much sought after by the Indian intelligence to solve critical cases of crime. He has worked in CBI for some years as an advisor. He has been trapped and captured by enemies on several occasions, but escaped unhurt, or nominally hurt. In solving cases of crime, he has travelled to several parts of India and the world. Each new adventure takes him to a new destination. He is excellent in fencing, revolver shooting and swimming. His age is estimated to be over 60 at present. In few occasions, he used the crutch as weapon.
- Sontu: (Also spelled as Shontu) Real name is Sunanda Roychowdhury. Who first studies in Tirthapati Institution and after that in Ballygunge Govt. School. The only college-going nephew of Kakababu, and the companion to all Kakababu adventures. This young adult has sharp wit and intelligence, and his mental strength is only comparable to Kakababu. He has also been trapped on several occasions by ruthless enemies.He is an excellent swimmer and an outstanding athlete. He is the best friend of Jojo.
- Jojo: The best friend of Shantu and equals his age and they both studied in Presidency College. He was very close to Kakababu like Shantu and Jojo also loves him a lot. He was introduced as a character to give comic relief, resulting from his habit of telling lies but not for bad will, but creating imaginary stories about his dramatic life experiences.
- Biman Banerjee: A pilot of Air India, neighbour of Kakababu and Sontu. He got involved in some of Kakababu's adventures like Khali Jahajer Rahasya, Mishar Rahasya, Kakababu Here Gelen? etc.
- Debolina Dutta: A friend of Shantu and Jojo, and seemingly their one of the only two female friends (The other one is Rini). She has got involved in some of the Kakababu adventures.
- Siddhartha & Snigdha: Relatives of Kakababu and Sontu. They along with Rini got involved in some of Kakababu's adventures.
- Saibal Dutta: Father of Debolina Dutta, a rich and jovial person.
- Rini: Another friend of Shantu and Jojo, and seemingly their one of the only two female friend (The other one is Debolina). She has got involved in some of the Kakababu adventures.
- Oli: She is another female friend of Shantu and Jojo.
- Narendra Verma: A veteran I.P.S. of Indian Government and top ranked Central Bureau of Investigation officer, helps Kakababu in many adventures. He is a friend of Kakababu.
Adventures of Kakababu Sontu
- Bhoyonkor Sundor (1979)
- Sobuj Dwiper Raja (1980)
- Paharchuray Aatonko (1981)
- Bhupal Rohosyo (1982)
- Khali Jahajer Rohosyo (1983)
- Mishor Rohosyo (1984)
- Kolkatar Jongole (1985)
- Nilmurti Rohosyo (1986)
- Jongoler Modhye Ek Hotel (1986)
- Jongolgorer Chaabi (1987)
- Rajbarir Rohosyo (1987)
- Bijoynogorer Hire (1988)
- Kakababu O Brajalama (1989)
- Ulka Rohosyo (1990)
- Mohakaler Likhon (1990)
- Ekti Lal Lanka (1991)
- Kakababu Here Gelen? (1991)
- Sadhubabar Haat (1992)
- Sontu O Ektukro Chaand (1992)
- Aagun Pakhir Rohosyo (1993)
- Kakababu Bonam Chorashikari (1994)
- Sontu Kothay Kakababu Kothay (1995)
- Kakababur Prothom Obhijan (1996)
- Jojo Odrishyo (1997)
- Kakababu O Chondon Dosyu (1998)
- Kakababu O Ek Chhoddobeshi (1999)
- Kakababu O Shishuchorer Dol (2000)
- Kakababu O Moronfaad (2001)
- Kakababu O Black panther (2002)
- Kakababu O Aaschorjo Dwip (2003)
- Kakababu O Sinduk Rohosyo (2004)
- Kakababu O Ekti Sada Ghora (2005)
- Ebar Kakababur Protisodh (2006)
- Kakababur Chokhe Jol (2007)
- Kakababu aar Bagher Golpo (2008)
- Aagneyogirir Peter Modhye (2009)
- Aarobdeshe Sontu Kakababu (2010)
- Kakababu O Jalodassu (2011)
- Golokdhandhay Kakababu (2012)
In other media
- Bhoyonkor Sundor and Sabuj Dwiper Raja (published by Ananda Publishers), art by Bijon Karmakar
- The character of Kakababu has been portrayed by Samit Bhanja in the 1979 film Sabuj Dwiper Raja.
- Sabyasachi Chakrabarty played the character in the 1996 film Kakababu Here Gelen?.
- Sabyasachi Chakrabarty reprise his role in 2001 film Ek Tukro Chand.
- Prasenjit Chatterjee portrayed the character in the 2013 film Mishor Rohoshyo.
- Khali Jahajer Rahasya (1999), Directed by Surojit Sengupto aired on DD Bangla as a 13 episodes TV Series. Kakababu was played by Sabyasachi Chakrabarty.
- Kakababu o Ek Chadmabeshi(2001), was TV film made for ETV Bangla, directed by Joy Mukherjee aired on ETV Bangla. Kakababu was played by Arjun Chakraborty and Santu was played by Sumon Banerjee.
- Kakababu Firey Elen (2008–2009), was a mini TV series made for DD Bangla. Directed by Subrata Das, Sudip Mukherjee as Kakababu, Debshankar Haldar as Rajkumar and Saheb Bhattacharya as Santu.
In October 2010 an animated series by the name of Kakababu-Sontu began airing in Ruposhi Bangla.
The character Kakababu was played by Sumanta Mukhopadhyaya.
- Rajbarir Rahashya
- Kolkatar Jongoley
- Sinduk Rahashya
Though one of the biggest assets of Bengali Literature, the stories of Kakababu has faltered from its usual charm, thrill as well as fame in the recent past years.
- Kakababu in other media
- Feluda in film
- Professor Shonku
- Byomkesh Bakshi
- Byomkesh Bakshi in other media
- Private investigator
- Culture of Bengal
- Culture of West Bengal
- Bengali literature
- History of Bengali literature
- List of Bengali-language authors (chronological)