|Member of the California State Assembly|
from the 25th district
December 1, 2014 – December 7, 2020
|Preceded by||Bob Wieckowski|
|Succeeded by||Alex Lee|
|Member of the San Jose City Council from District 4|
|Preceded by||Chuck Reed|
|Born||October 27, 1952|
|Residence||San Jose, California|
|Alma mater||California State University, Northridge (MS)|
|Occupation||Computer programmer, restaurant owner, politician|
Kansen Chu (Chinese: 朱感生; pinyin: Zhū Gǎnshēng born October 27, 1952) is a Taiwanese-born American politician, formerly a computer programmer and restaurant owner. A Democrat, Chu was a member of the California State Assembly from 2014 to 2020, for the 25th Assembly District, which encompasses parts of the South and East Bay regions of the San Francisco Bay Area.
In 1952, Chu was born in Taipei, Taiwan.
Chu earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from National Taipei University of Technology. Chu earned a master's degree in Electrical Engineering from California State University, Northridge.
In 1978, Chu became a microdiagnostics microprogrammer at IBM, where he worked for 18 years. In 1989, Chu became an owner of a Chinese restaurant, until 2007.
Prior to being elected to the Assembly in 2014, Chu was a San Jose City Councilman representing District 4. He is a member of the California Asian & Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus. He was the first Taiwanese-American elected to the San Jose City Council.
In 2000, Chu was defeated by Chuck Reed for the District 4 council seat.
In his first year on the council, Chu initiated landmark legislation to require citywide green building standards, ban the use of plastic bags, and mandate the installation of automatic heart defibrillators across San Jose.
2002 Berryessa Union School Board
In 2002, Chu was elected to the Berryessa Union School Board. As a school board member, he championed stronger curricula, better education materials, and improved public access to school board meetings.
Chu has served on the Berryessa Union School Board for 5 years, Santa Clara Valley Metro YMCA, Vietnamese Voluntary Foundation, Shin Shin Education Foundation, and Advisory Board of Californians for Justice. Kansen has also served on the Santa Clara County Mental Health Board, Private Industry Council under Job Training Partnership Act, Neighborhood Accountability Board of Berryessa, the KNTV Channel 11 Community Board, Asian Law Alliance, and many other advisory commissions and boards. He continues to serve on the board of Vision New America, dedicated to advancing youth involvement in civics and government.
Departing the California Assembly
2014 California State Assembly
2016 California State Assembly
|Democratic||Kansen Chu (incumbent)||61,980||75.5|
|Democratic||Kansen Chu (incumbent)||107,821||72.8|
2018 California State Assembly
|Democratic||Kansen Chu (incumbent)||36,417||51.8|
|Democratic||Kansen Chu (incumbent)||98,612||74.3|
In 1976, Chu moved to the United States. Chu's wife is Daisy Chu. They have two children. Chu and his family live in San Jose, California.
- "Assemblymember Kansen Chu /Legislative Technology & Innovation Caucus". catechcaucus.legislature.ca.gov. California, U.S.: California State Legislature. Archived from the original on 2019-03-23. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- Archive, ABC7. "Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Salutes: Kansen Chu /ABC7 San Francisco Archive /abc7news.com". abc7news.com. New York, U.S.: ABC News. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- "Election 2020 Santa Clara County Election Results". KQED. December 2020. Retrieved August 9, 2021.
- "NOTICE OF BOARD APPOINTMENT". Board Member Information. Berryessa Union School District. February 11, 2021. Retrieved August 9, 2021.
- "Kansen Chu's Biography". Vote Smart. Retrieved November 2, 2020.
- "School Board Candidate Wu Fredericks Picks Up Another Endorsement - Assemblymember Kansen Chu adds his support to school board candidate". pasadenanow.com. November 2, 2020. Retrieved November 2, 2020.
- "2 School Trustees Announce Bids for Kansen Chu's Assembly Seat". San Jose Inside. 2019-05-15. Retrieved 2019-06-19.