Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Director, writer, Screenwriter|
Karan Malhotra is an Indian film director and screenwriter. He is best known for his debut film Agneepath. Before marking his directorial debut in 2012 with Dharma Productions, he worked for ten years as an assistant director in the Hindi film industry.
Malhotra worked as an assistant director in the films such as Jodhaa Akbar, My Name Is Khan and Jaan-E-Mann before co-writing and directing Agneepath, a reboot of the 1990 cult classic of the same name.
Malhotra and his wife Ekta Pathak Malhotra began collaborating on the screenplay for Shuddhi which is slated for a Diwali 2016 release for Dharma Productions. Whilst working on the script both made several research-based trips to Hrishikesh, one of the prominent shooting locations for the film. In March 2013, producer Karan Johar officially announced that Dharma Productions had begun pre-production on a new film venture titled Shuddhi.
Though initially rumoured that Malhotra's Shuddhi would be the film adaptation of Amish Tripathi's "The Immortals of Meluha", it was later proven false. In September 2013, Karan Johar announced that Malhotra would be directing The Immortals of Meluha, but only after the theatrical release of Shuddhi. In May 2018, Yash Raj Films announced that Malhotra would next be directing Shamshera.
- "(15) – British Board of Film Classification". British Board of Film Classification. 20 January 2012.
- "A lot of people questioned my decision of remaking Agneepath". Bollywood Hungama. 30 Jan 2012.
- "Directors worth Rs100 crore!". DNA India. 20 Jan 2013.
- "'Agneepath' director, Karan Johar team up for an original". IBN Live. 14 November 2012.
- Upala KBR, TNN (26 January 2012). "Agneepath broke my father's heart: Karan Johar". Times of India.
- "Hrithik had a rough start with Agneepath director". Times of India. 17 January 2012.
- "Hrithik Roshan set to shoot in Rishikesh? - Hindustan Times". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- http://ibnlive.in.com/news/karan-kohar-hrithik-roshan-reunite-for-a-love-story-shuddhi/376746-8-66.html. "Karan Johar, Hrithik Roshan reunite". IBNLive. Missing or empty
- "Nothing to do with Immortals of Meluha - Karan Johar". Hindustan Times. 16 March 2013.
- Subhash K Jha (2013). "Agneepath director's next Is The Immortals Of Meluha". Daily Bhaskar. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "Salman Khan to do Karan Johar's Shuddhi". Patrika Group. 16 July 2014. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Correspondent, HT (7 May 2018). "Ranbir Kapoor plays a dacoit in YRF's Shamshera. Watch the shocking first look". hindustantimes.com. Hindustan Times. Retrieved 18 June 2018.