|Born||Katherine Sian Moennig|
December 29, 1977
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Other names||Kate Moennig|
|Relatives||Blythe Danner (paternal half-aunt)|
Harry Danner (paternal half-uncle)
Gwyneth Paltrow (paternal cousin)
Jake Paltrow (paternal cousin)
Katherine Sian Moennig (born December 29, 1977) is an American actress known for her role as Shane McCutcheon on The L Word (2004-09), as well as Jake Pratt on Young Americans (2000). Moennig has played the role of Lena in the Showtime series Ray Donovan since 2013.
Moennig was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Broadway dancer Mary Zahn and William H. Moennig III. Her father's maternal half sister is actress Blythe Danner, thus she is a cousin of Gwyneth Paltrow.
In 1999, she had the central role in the Our Lady Peace video "Is Anybody Home?". She also took a role in a Fleet Bank commercial, and appeared in a Red Cross Campaign benefiting victims of Hurricane Katrina. Moennig was a presenter at the 17th annual GLAAD awards and appeared at the 10th annual Ribbon of Hope Celebration.
Moennig's first major role was in the television series Young Americans, playing Jake Pratt. She has played multiple lesbian roles: Shane McCutcheon in The L Word; Rosie's (Drew Barrymore) partner Jilly in Everybody's Fine; Candace, the lesbian lover of Sophia Myles' character, in Art School Confidential; and Lena, a press agent who works for Liev Schreiber's character, in Ray Donovan. She has also pursued transgender roles, auditioning for the part of Brandon Teena in Boys Don't Cry, and playing Cheryl Avery, a young transgender woman in the Law & Order: Special Victims Unit episode "Fallacy".
In 2007, the Hetrick-Martin Institute (HMI) produced the documentary My Address: A Look At Gay Youth Homelessness in cooperation with Moennig. Directed by Gigi Nicolas, the documentary explored the experiences of homeless gay youth and the work of the HMI.
In 2009, Moennig joined the cast of the TV series Three Rivers. On November 30, 2009, it was announced that CBS had pulled Three Rivers from the schedule, with no plans to return it. Moennig appeared in an episode of This Just Out in 2010.
|2000||The Ice People||Wanja Kasczinsky||Short film|
|2001||Love the Hard Way||Debbie|
|2001||The Shipping News||Grace Moosup|
|2004||Invitation to a Suicide||Eva|
|2006||Art School Confidential||Candace|
|2010||Lez Chat||Athletic Woman||Short film|
|2011||The Lincoln Lawyer||Gloria|
|2016||My Dead Boyfriend||Zoe|
|2000||Young Americans||Jacqueline "Jake" Pratt||Main role (8 episodes)|
|2001||Law & Order||Melissa Cobin||Episode: "For Love or Money" (S12E03)|
|2003||Law & Order: SVU||Cheryl Avery||Episode: "Fallacy" (S4E21)|
|2004-2009||The L Word||Shane McCutcheon||Main role (70 episodes)|
|2008||CSI: Miami||Mary Landis||Episode: "Rock and a Hard Place" (S6E19)|
|2009-2010||Three Rivers||Dr. Miranda Foster||Main role (13 episodes)|
|2010||Dexter||Michael Angelo||Episode: "First Blood" S5E05|
|2013–present||Ray Donovan||Lena Burnham||Main role (49 episodes)|
|As You Like It||Shepherdess|
|The Theory of Total Blame||Irene|
|Comedy of Art||Isabella|
|Morning in the City|
|Love Letters||Dr. Melissa|
|The Shadow Box||Felicity|
|The Murder of Lidice||Byeta|
|The Two Gentlemen of Verona||Lucetta|
|A Late Show||Pat|
|Alone at the Beach||Chris|
- "Katherine Moennig". TVGuide.com. Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- "Katherine Moennig Questions / Answers". thelword-fr.net. January 19, 2007. Archived from the original on February 3, 2008.
I've noticed my birth year is 1976 online, when it's really 1977
- Gross, Dan (April 28, 2011). "Gwyneth Paltrow slurs late local grandma on "Chelsea Lately"". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- Traister, Rebecca (October 9, 2000). "Androgynous Actress Kate Moennig Is 'Alt.Gwyn,' Paltrow's Cousin". New York Observer. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- "Alumni News". aada.org. March 2012. Archived from the original on 2014-01-01.
- Bolonik, Kera; Chaiken, Ilene (7 March 2006). The L Word:Welcome to Our Planet. Google Books: Simon and Schuster.
- Fleet Bank ad at YouTube
- 10th annual Ribbon of Hope Celebration at IMDb
- Pacetta, Christopher (2005-02-20). "Five things you didn't know about Katherine Moennig". NY Daily News. Retrieved 2016-09-13.
- Isherwood, Charles (April 13, 2006). "'Guardians' Evokes Abuses of Abu Ghraib and of Fleet Street". The New York Times. Retrieved December 28, 2006.
- Martin, Denise (October 11, 2009). "Katherine Moennig on 'The L Word,' 'Three Rivers' and cousin Gwyneth Paltrow (2009-10-10)". Los Angeles Times.
- "Liz Feldman Returns With New Episodes of "This Just Out"". Autostraddle.com. 2010-10-11. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- Bendix, Trish (2013-02-02). "Wildfang employs Kate Moennig, Megan Rapinoe and Hannah Blilie to bring you tomboy fashion". AfterEllen. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- Kate Moennig x Wildfang Archived May 11, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- Bendix, Trish (June 28, 2013). "Kate Moennig plays a hot new lesbian character with questionable morals on "Ray Donovan"". After Ellen.
- "The Late Show". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2017-10-07.
- "Katherine Moennig". Olniclo's Movie World. Retrieved 2016-09-13.
- "Knowing more to... Kate Moennig". Les Planet. 2008. Retrieved 2016-09-13.