|Born||September 28, 1962
Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Occupation||Choreographer, dancer, theatre director|
|Spouse(s)||Scott Landis (2009–present)|
Life and career
Born in Madison, Wisconsin, Marshall graduated from Taylor Allderdice High School in 1980 and Smith College in 1985. She worked in the Pittsburgh theatre scene when she was younger, performing with such companies as Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera. She began her Broadway career as assistant to her brother Rob, the choreographer of Kiss of the Spider Woman, in 1993. The two also collaborated on She Loves Me (1993), Damn Yankees (1994), Victor/Victoria (1995), and Seussical (2000). She was the artistic director for the Encores! Series of staged musical revivals from 1996 through 2000. During that time, she choreographed The Boys from Syracuse, Li'l Abner and Call Me Madam and both directed and choreographed Babes in Arms and Wonderful Town.
Marshall served as a judge on the NBC reality series Grease: You're the One That I Want. Viewer votes selected the stars of the August 2007 Broadway revival of Grease, which she directed and choreographed.
The Encores! production of Wonderful Town transferred to Broadway in November 2003 and ran until January 2005, with both direction and choreography by Marshall. She was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical and Best Choreography, and won for Best Choreography. She was the director and choreographer of the Broadway revival of Pajama Game which opened in February 2006 and marked the Broadway acting debut of Harry Connick, Jr.
Marshall directed and choreographed a Broadway revival of Cole Porter's Anything Goes beginning in April 2011, with Sutton Foster starring as Reno Sweeney. Marshall was nominated for the Tony Award for both directing and choreography and won for choreography. She is director and choreographer of the new musical Nice Work If You Can Get It which opened on Broadway in April 2012.
In February 2009, Marshall received the Smith College Medal in honor of her work.
Marshall and Scott Landis, a producer and former agent, were married in September 2009.They have two children, Ella and Nathaniel, twins who were born in May 2010.
- Nice Work If You Can Get It (2012) Director/Choreographer
- Anything Goes (2011) Director/Choreographer
- Calvin Berger (2010) Director/Choreographer, George Street Playhouse, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- Grease (2007) Director/Choreographer
- The Pajama Game (2006) – Director/Choreographer
- Two Gentlemen of Verona (2005) - Director/Choreographer, Public Theater
- Little Shop of Horrors (2003) – Choreographer
- Wonderful Town (2003) – Director/Choreographer
- Follies (2001) – Choreographer
- Ring Round the Moon (1999) – Choreographer
- Kiss Me, Kate (1999) – Choreographer
- 1776 (1997) – Choreographer
- Swinging on a Star (1995) – Choreographer
Awards and nominations
Source:Internet Broadway Database
- 2004 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Choreography – Wonderful Town
- 2004 Tony Award for Best Choreography – Wonderful Town
- 2006 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Choreography – The Pajama Game
- 2006 Tony Award for Best Choreography – The Pajama Game
- 2011 Tony Award for Best Choreography - Anything Goes
- 1996 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Choreography – Swinging on a Star
- 2000 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Choreography – Kiss Me, Kate
- 2000 Tony Award for Best Choreography – Kiss Me, Kate
- 2002 Laurence Olivier Award for Best Choreography – Kiss Me, Kate
- 2003 Emmy Award for Outstanding Choreography – The Music Man
- 2004 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Director of a Musical – Wonderful Town
- 2004 Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical – Wonderful Town
- 2006 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Director of a Musical – The Pajama Game
- 2006 Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical – The Pajama Game
- 2011 Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical – Anything Goes
- 2012 Tony Award for Best Choreography – Nice Work If You Can Get It
- 2012 Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical – Nice Work If You Can Get It
- Conner, Lynne (2007). Pittsburgh In Stages: Two Hundred Years of Theater. University of Pittsburgh Press. pp. 204. ISBN 978-0-8229-4330-3. Retrieved 2011-06-06
- Rawson, Christopher (August 22, 2007). "Two Marshalls win Governor's Awards for the Arts". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Christopher Rawson (31 January 2006). "City native Kathleen Marshall continually lands directing jobs". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2008-08-11.
- Jones, Kenneth. Kathleen Marshall Steps Down From Encores!, Viertel is New Artistic Director" playbill.com, June 9, 2000
- "GREASE to Close on Broadway January 4, 2009". Broadwayworld.com. Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- Simonson, Robert. "Wonderful, Wonderful: Murphy Goes on the Town as Bernstein Revival Opens on Broadway, Nov. 23" playbill.com, November 23, 2003
- Hernandez, Ernio.Two for Tony and Tony for Two: Kathleen Marshall, Brian MacDevitt and Tony Kushner Earn Double Nominations" playbill.com, May 16, 2004
- Simonson, Robert and Jones, Kenneth. "Hey There: 'The Pajama Game' Is Played Once More on Broadway" playbill.com, February 23, 2006
- Jones, Kenneth. "Bon Voyage! 'Anything Goes', With Sutton Foster and Joel Grey, Opens on Broadway" playbill.com, April 7, 2011
- Jones, Kenneth. "War Horse, Book of Mormon, Anything Goes, Normal Heart Win 2011 Tony Awards". Playbill.com, June 12, 2011
- Kathleen Marshall to Helm Broadway-Bound EVER AFTER Musical
- Kathleen Marshall Will Direct Broadway Debut of Ever After, Based On 1998 Cinderella Film
- "'Once Upon a Mattress,' Directed by Kathleen Marshall, Airs on ABC-TV Dec. 18" playbill.com, December 18, 2005
- Copage, Eric V. "Vows. Kathleen Marshall and Scott Landis" The New York Times, October 1, 2009
- "Kathleen Marshall Listing" Internet Broadway Database, accessed June 14, 2011
- Jones, Kenneth. Nice Work, the "New" Gershwin Musical Starring Matthew Broderick and Kelli O'Hara, Opens on Broadway" Playbill.com, April 24, 2012
- Gans, Andrew."Kathleen Marshall to Direct George Street's 'Calvin Berger'" playbill.com, August 31, 2009
- Simonson, Robert."'Two Gentlemen of Verona' Opens Before the Ladies and Gentlemen of New York City Aug. 25" playbill.com, August 25, 2005
- "Olivier Winners 2002" olivierawards.com, accessed June 14, 2011
- https://web.archive.org/20080317195132/http://www.smith.edu:80/rallyday/about.php. Archived from the original on March 17, 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-17. Missing or empty
- Kathleen Marshall at the Internet Broadway Database
- Kathleen Marshall at the Internet Movie Database
- Kathleen Marshall – Downstage Center interview
- Working in the Theatre video seminar, September 1999