||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Kenya Bell at Fuzion Magazine Event at the Grace Hotel in NYC on 11.19.12
|Birth name||Kenya Howard|
April 2, 1977 |
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.
|Genres||R&B, soul, pop,|
|Occupation(s)||Recording Artist, Reality Star of Basketball Wives on VH1, Miss Michigan USA 2001, Model|
|Associated acts||Jazze Pha|
Kenya Howard-Bell (born April 2, 1977) is an American R&B singer, beauty pageant title holder, engineer, model, and reality television personality who is a cast member on the VH1 reality show Basketball Wives. She made her debut on the fourth season.
Bell was born in Detroit, Michigan. The daughter of William Howard, a pastor, and Vergie Howard, a registered nurse. She attended Michigan State University and received a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering as well as an MBA, graduating summa cum laude. After graduation, Bell worked as an engineer for General Motors.
Bell was first introduced to the entertainment world as a model, appearing in campaigns for Ford Motor Company, Bally’s, The Essence Festival, and Torrence’s House of Fashion. She followed up her modeling career as a beauty queen, and at the age of 24 years Bell was crowned Miss Michigan USA 2001. Bell went on to compete for the title of Miss USA 2001 and ultimately finished the national beauty competition as a semi-finalist.
As the wife of a professional basketball player, Bell focused on charity initiatives and was featured on E! True Hollywood Story: Basketball Wives. Following her appearance on the television special, she was then approached by the production company, Shed Media US, to appear as a series regular on the reality show, Basketball Wives on VH1.
Bell made her debut as a series regular on the fourth season premiere of Basketball Wives on February 20, 2012 to an audience of 3.7 million viewers[unreliable source?]. On April 2, 2012 Lozada confronted Bell about some comments she had made about her during an earlier conversation, in particular trying to make Bell say the word "loose," as it refers to her. The altercation continued to escalate to the point where Lozada tried to physically assault Bell, and threw a champagne bottle at her. As Bell seemed unnerved by the tirade, producers stepped in to hold Lozada, to which she uttered: ""Why y'all stop me all the fucking time?" and Tami Roman separated Bell from the situation by taking Bell out of the room. Bell released a song "Hate Me" which "seems to be directed at her reality show cast mates". Lozada had said that she was embarrassed by the way that she behaved, breaking down about the incident while talking to Iyanla Vanzant on her own assault on the OWN network show Iyanla, Fix My Life, saying that when her step daughters were emulating the incident in the car, she realized that she was setting a horrible example for them as well as other girls, reflecting on her violent tendencies on the show, and VanZant's previous comment of Lozada "being rewarded for being Out Of Order and being a THUG among women."
Bell signed a distribution deal with Bungalo Records in November 2012 for her C3K Records label and released her song "Hate Me" on December 11, 2012.
- Black, Elizabeth. "Kenya Bell's Single "Fly" Is Out On iTunes Today".
- "Basketball Wives - Season 4 - Cast - Kenya Bell".
- "Miss Michigan USA Past Title Holders".
- "E! True Hollywood Story: Season 14, Episode 2 Basketball Wives".
- Schuch, Sarah. "Life in the spotlight: Kenya Bell, wife of Flint native basketball star Charlie Bell, becomes new cast member on VH1's 'Basketball Wives'".
- "Basketball Wives Season 4 Highest Rated Premiere: Over 3.7 Million Viewers".
- "Evelyn Throws Wine Bottle At Kenya On 'Basketball Wives". Huffington Post. April 3, 2012.
- Littal, Robert. "Basketball Wives Evelyn Lozada Throws Bottle at Kenya Bell (Video)". Black Sports Online. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- Sowmya Krishnamurthy,"Kenya Bell Aims Diss Record At Basketball Wives Cast","MTV", June 4, 2012
- Black America Web, "Kenya Bell on her new song, her new 'Republican' Boyfriend, & More","Black America Web", December 19, 2012