Cover of the first manga volume
|Genre||Romantic comedy, Drama, Supernatural|
|Published by||Micro Magazine|
|Original run||October 14, 2010 – April 22, 2015|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Masahiko Ohta|
|Written by||Takashi Aoshima|
|Music by||Yasuhiro Misawa|
|Original run||January 11, 2013 – March 29, 2013|
Kotoura-san (琴浦さん) is a Japanese romantic comedy yonkoma manga series written by Enokizu. The series began serialization in Micro Magazine's Manga Goccha web magazine from October 14, 2010. An anime television adaptation by AIC Classic aired from January 11 to March 29, 2013. The anime is licensed in North America by NIS America under the name The Troubled Life of Miss Kotoura.
Haruka Kotoura is a 15-year-old girl who was born with the psychic ability to read minds. During her childhood, because of not fully understanding the difference between thoughts and feelings, she often tends to blurt out people's thoughts unnecessarily. As a result, she gets ridiculed by her classmates at school and even gets abandoned by her parents after inadvertently exposing an affair between them. Concluding that she only brings people bad luck, she distances herself from everyone, making her a recluse.
But this is all until she meets Yoshihisa Manabe, a dim-witted boy with a perverted imagination, when Haruka transfers to another high school. Unfazed by Haruka's mind-reading ability, he offers her his friendship and vows to stand by her side regardless of the circumstances. He even helps her make new friends and together they form the school's ESP Research Club. As they spend more and more time together, Haruka's life begins to change completely.
- Haruka Kotoura (琴浦 春香 Kotoura Haruka)
- Voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto
- Haruka is a girl who was born with the psychic ability to read minds at a young age. Because she does not understand this ability, she often blurted out what people were thinking, causing her to be resented by her classmates. Her power gets out of hand when she obliviously exposes an affair between her own parents. Her mother eventually leaves her, telling Haruka that "I should never have given birth to you." This causes Haruka to conclude that she only brings people trouble, and the best way to prevent hurting herself and others is to never associate with anyone. That is, until the day she meets Yoshihisa. Whilst typically soft-spoken and timid, she becomes incredibly flustered whenever she is exposed to Yoshihisa's lewd fantasies. She later develops feelings for Manabe. She seems to lose her psychic abilities when she is ill.
- Yoshihisa Manabe (真鍋 義久 Manabe Yoshihisa)
- Voiced by: Jun Fukushima
- Yoshihisa is a dimwitted but kindhearted boy who befriends the lonely Haruka Kotoura. Being known in school as the biggest pervert, his reputation is validated as he often fantasizes about Haruka, much to her embarrassment. He is well aware of this, and often lets her read his mind just for the sake of teasing her. However, he cares deeply about Haruka's well-being, and stands firmly by her side even when his childhood friend Hiyori Moritani and her friends bully Haruka. His sincerity becomes very evident to Haruka when Yoshihisa discovers that Hiyori was the main cause for much of Haruka's humiliation at school. He even goes so far as to call her out on it in the middle of class, claiming that Haruka only threw up earlier that week because she could read Hiyori's "wicked" thoughts. He eventually develops feelings for Kotoura.
- Yuriko Mifune (御舟 百合子 Mifune Yuriko)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa
- Yuriko is the president of the school's ESP Research Club. Before the beginning of the series, Yuriko's mother is revealed to be clairvoyant (similar to Haruka Kotoura) who would often assist in police investigations. However, Yuriko's mother is accused of being a fake by the media. Yuriko's mother then commits suicide to escape the constant ridicule, which shames the rest of the family and devastates Yuriko, who believed in her mother. Since then, Yuriko has been keen to prove the existence of psychics and vindicate her mother and her family, finally finding an opportunity in Haruka. Over time however, she recognizes how selfish she is being, and instead befriends her. She has unrequited feelings for Daichi Muroto, her best friend.
- Daichi Muroto (室戸 大智 Muroto Daichi)
- Voiced by: Hiro Shimono
- Daichi is the ESP Research Club's vice president. Despite being very short, he is the same age as Yuriko Mifune, and is her childhood friend. Very intelligent, clever and perceptive, he is usually the first to see behind Yuriko's plans and question her actions, yet never does anything to disrupt them. Yuriko has romantic feelings for him, but he is oblivious to her affection. He does however view Yuriko in high regard, and respects her greatly.
- Hiyori Moritani (森谷 ヒヨリ Moritani Hiyori)
- Voiced by: Yurika Kubo
- Hiyori is Yoshihisa's childhood friend and classmate, often nicknamed Moriya. She is in deeply in love with Yoshihisa and initially resents Haruka for gaining his attention and becoming romantically interested in Haruka, rather than herself. After Yoshihisa makes her realize what she has done to Haruka, Hiyori reconciles with Haruka and befriends her, even later joining the ESP Research Club. Out of the three girls in the ESP Society, she is the only one who cannot cook. She occasionally has a fearsome aura like a demon that is used to keep Yoshihisa's perversion in check, but she has a habit of panicking in the face of adversity despite her practices in martial arts.
- Zenzou Kotoura (琴浦 善三 Kotoura Zenzō)
- Voiced by: Tomomichi Nishimura
- Haruka's apparently wealthy grandfather. One of the few people to stick by her after Kumiko disowned her. He is slightly perverted, having dirty thoughts about his kinship with Haruka.
- Head priest (和尚 Oshō)
- Voiced by: Yutaka Nakano
- A monk who is a family friend at a shrine temple in Haruka's hometown. His encounter with Haruka has led to him taken an interest in esper abilities.
- Kumiko Kotoura (琴浦 久美子 Kotoura Kumiko)
- Voiced by: Kikuko Inoue
- Haruka's mother. Initially kind-hearted and caring, she becomes more and more stressed because she can't understand Haruka's special ability or deal with the situations it inadvertently caused. She reacted to her husband's increasing emotional distance by cheating on him, and when it is discovered that Haruka's father was also unfaithful, they divorce. She deals with her moral failings and weakness of character by rejecting young Haruka and disowning her. At the end of the series, she reconciles with Haruka after they both get all their pent-up feeling out of their system.
- Gantetsu Ishiyama (石山 巌鉄 Ishiyama Gantetsu)
- Voiced by: Takayuki Sugō
- A police detective. He appears to be familiar with the events that occurred surrounding Yuriko's mother, although he himself is skeptic of supernatural abilities.
- Aki Tsukino (月野 亜紀 Tsukino Aki)
- Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe
- Detective Ishiyama's partner who is a bit clumsy and usually hungry. During her childhood, she was bullied a lot because of her height, which caused her to develop a violent split personality. Tsukino later began attacking high school girls under the influence of her other personality and soon targeted Haruka. However, Haruka was able to get her feelings across to the true Tsukino, who overcomes her other side and turns herself in.
The original manga by Enokizu began serialization in Micro Magazine's Manga Goccha magazine from October 14, 2011. Seven tankōbon volumes were released between 2012 and 2015.
An anime adaptation by AIC Classic aired in Japan between January 11 and March 29, 2013 and was simulcast by Crunchyroll. The opening theme is "Sonna Koto Ura no Mata Urabanashi Desho?" (そんなこと裏のまた裏話でしょ? You Want To Hear the Story Behind the Backstory, Right?) by Megumi Nakajima whilst the main ending theme is "Kibō no Hana" (希望の花 Flower of Hope) by Haruka Chisuga. The ending theme for episode five is "The ESP Club's Theme" (ESP研のテーマ Īesupī Ken no Tēma) by Kana Hanazawa, Hisako Kanemoto, Jun Fukushima, Hiro Shimono and Yurika Kubo, whilst the ending theme for episode six is "Tsurupeta" (つるぺた Flat Chest) by Kanemoto. There is an insert song in episode 11 titled "Sunao" (素直) sung by Megumi Nakajima. NIS America has licensed the series in North America under the title The Troubled Life of Miss Kotoura and released a subtitled Blu-ray collection on August 4, 2015.
|1||"Kotoura-san and Manabe-kun"
"Kotoura-san to Manabe-kun" (琴浦さんと真鍋くん)
|January 11, 2013|
Haruka Kotoura is a girl who was born with ESP, the ability to read minds. As she has no real understanding of this ability and tends to blurt out everyone's thoughts, she becomes ridiculed by her classmates and even disowned by her parents, eventually leading her to live alone as a recluse.Years later, Haruka transfers into a new high school. Not getting along with the other students, she is approached by a dim-witted boy named Yoshihisa Manabe, who remains eager to hang out with her despite her being able to read his dirty thoughts. After Haruka ends up saving Yoshihisa from a speeding truck, she confesses about how her ability ruined her life and left her afraid of hurting those close to her. Yoshihisa responds that he will stay by her side no matter what happens and the two eventually become friends.
"Hajimete no..." (初めての……)
|January 18, 2013|
|Haruka is approached by an upperclassman named Yuriko Mifune, who invites her to join the ESP Research Club, along with Yoshihisa and their other current member, Daichi Muroto. During one of the club meetings, Yuriko willingly shows Haruka a glimpse of one of her darkest memories. Yuriko later reveals that her mother was a clairvoyant who was accused of being a fake and committed suicide, driving Yuriko to try and prove the existence of psychics. Yuriko decides to use Haruka to hold a fortune telling booth, which initially proves difficult when Haruka can't see her targets, but it soon proves popular once Haruka takes charge. When Hiyori Moritani, her classmate who is currently in love with Yoshihisa, takes the seat, she becomes resentful of Haruka. When Yoshihisa and Yuriko discover her actions towards Haruka, Yoshihisa confronts Hiyori and reveals that he likes Haruka. Thanking her friends, Haruka officially joins the ESP Research Club.|
|3||"So Happy, So Fun"
"Ureshikute, Tanoshikute" (嬉しくて、楽しくて)
|January 25, 2013|
|As Haruka tries to keep the fact that she overheard Yoshihisa's confession from him, she and the others go to a karaoke place, where it is soon revealed that Haruka is completely tone deaf. The next evening, as Haruka plans to make a home-made lunch for Yoshihisa, Hiyori has some of her karate members slightly attack Yoshihisa, but it goes disastrously wrong and they end up hospitalizing him. As word of Yoshihisa's situation reaches the class the next day, Haruka hears Hiyori's stressed thoughts as she fears being found out by everyone. However, Haruka instead chooses to encourage her before going to visit Yoshihisa in hospital. After hearing Yoshihisa's thoughts about how he did not want to get Haruka involved, she feels devastated that she is just hurting others in her place and moves away.|
"Kawaru Sekai" (変わる世界)
|February 1, 2013|
|A week has passed since Haruka's disappearance and Yoshihisa has been unable to contact her. Thanks to Daichi's help, the ESP Research Club track Haruka down to the last station she left on. Having forgotten to book a hotel, the group are offered to spend the night at a shrine run by its head priest. By coincidence, they find he is a family friend of Haruka who, upon hearing Yoshihisa's pleas, takes them to Haruka's family home where she is staying with her grandfather, Zenzou. As Haruka is unable to face them, she hears Yoshihisa's desire to be with her, leaving her open to get caught. Haruka explains how she does not want to go back as she does not want to hurt anyone and attempts to run off again. Just then, Hiyori arrives and reconciles with Haruka for her jealous actions, while also thanking her for allowing her to change her ways. Accepting her thanks, Haruka decides to go back to school.|
"Gakuen Tengoku?" (学園天国？)
|February 8, 2013|
|As Haruka starts her school life again, Hiyori decides to join the ESP Research Club, with Yuriko deciding to hold a welcome party at Haruka's new apartment. After being distracted by an amusing picture of Hiyori that Yoshihisa showed her, Haruka ends up getting put into a relay for the upcoming sports festival, so the gang start training her for the event. As the day of the sports festival comes, Yoshihisa manages to rally up the class to give Haruka their support, although she ends up failing regardless.|
|February 15, 2013|
|The gang travel to Haruka's hometown for summer vacation, though to their surprise, they are taken to an abandoned hospital. After being chased by some supposed monsters, they discover the hospital is actually part of a theme park Zenzou made for Haruka's arrival. The next day, the gang head to a private beach, where Haruka ends up getting pulled at sea and almost drowning, prompting Yoshihisa to rescue her. After sharing lunch together and enjoying some fireworks, Haruka gives her thanks to the others for showing her how fun summer vacation can be. Meanwhile, Haruka's mother, Kumiko, is seen watching them from above.|
|7||"In This World, I..."
"Kono Sekai ni Watashi wa" (この世界に私は)
|February 22, 2013|
|As Haruka deals with the curious effects of Hiyori's cooking, the head priest explains to Zenzou that he had brought Kumiko to see how Haruka was doing, but she still believed that she would one day cause misery with her ability. Before heading back home the next day, Haruka visits her old room and gives thanks to the head priest for his help. After being unable to get a hold of Yoshihisa after they get back, Haruka and Yuriko decide to spy on him, discovering he is working at a part-time job for reasons she can't identify. Whilst trying to figure out what Yoshihisa is hiding, Haruka reads Yuriko's memories on when she first became friends with Daichi, who always had faith in her mother's psychic ability. After summer vacation ends and the new term begins, Yoshihisa reveals he was saving money in order to prepare a surprise birthday party for Haruka.|
|8||"It's Not a Date"
"Dēto janaimon" (デートじゃないもん)
|March 1, 2013|
|After receiving a locket from Yoshihisa for her birthday, Haruka ends up getting a cold once October rolls in. As Yoshihisa decides to look after her, he discovers Haruka's cold is affecting her mind-reading ability. As Haruka is unaware of this, Yoshihisa initially sees this as an opportunity to be as perverted as he wants, but can't bring himself to go through with it. Although Haruka eventually recovers from her cold, her ability still has to. As punishment for lying to Haruka, Yuriko sets the two of them up on a date. They visit many different spots, with Haruka picking out a photo of the two of them to put in her locket. Near the end of the date, however, Haruka passes by someone and ends up reading the person's horrifying and murderous thoughts, the shock of which causes her to fall unconscious.|
|9||"Everyone is Around Me"
"Mawari ni wa Minna ga" (まわりにはみんなが)
|March 8, 2013|
|After being discharged from hospital, Haruka learns of a series of attacks on high school girls, and wonders if the mind she read before passing out may have been the criminal's. Too afraid to be alone that night, Haruka asks Yoshihisa to stay at her house, but Yoshihisa's planned perversions are stymied by Hiyori's arrival. The next morning the group is approached by a pair of police officers, who are questioning the students about the attacks. Haruka is left feeling depressed about not being able to say something since the police would not likely believe that psychics exist. Later on, a discussion between Hiyori and Haruka between classes causes a rumor to spread that Haruka knows something about the attacks, which puts her at odds with her schoolmates. Zenzou, having been called by Yuriko to help cheer Haruka up, takes her and the others to dinner at a hotel, where Kumiko coincidentally shows up on a date. When she begins to berate Haruka for allegedly using her powers on her, Yoshihisa and the others rush to support her, with Yoshihisa's perversity even managing to coax Kumiko into unconsciously showing concern for Haruka. After Kumiko leaves, Zenzou offers to call off dinner out of concern for the gang, but they decide to stay. Later that night, Hiyori is in total shock after seeing one of her murdered classmates in an alley and screams in agony after seeing her blood on her hands.|
|10||"But You're Not Here"
"Dakedo Anata wa Inai" (だけどあなたはいない)
|March 15, 2013|
|Upon arriving at school, Haruka and Yoshihisa learn that Hiyori has been arrested upon suspicion of being the attacker. The two visit the police station and vouch for Hiyori's innocence, which helps calm Hiyori's nerves. After one of the detectives, Tsukino, lets Haruka and the others in to support her during the interrogation, Hiyori explains how she had tried to get her friends to stop spreading rumors about Haruka, only to discover she had been attacked and accused of the crime herself. Not wanting Hiyori to suffer because of her anymore, Haruka decides to tell the detectives what she knows. Despite convincing the detective of her ability, he reveals he cannot let Hiyori free until they find tangible evidence, leading to Yuriko to bring up her mother. Feeling they can't rely on the police, Yuriko decides they should find the true culprit themselves. Although Haruka agrees to help, Yoshihisa objects to it because he doesn't want to see Haruka getting hurt, leading the two to have a fight, after which Yoshihisa stops visiting the clubroom. Later that evening, Haruka runs into Tsukino, talking a little about her desire to help. The next day, Hiyori is released due to another attack taking place whilst she was incarcerated, though Haruka decides she still wants to find the culprit. After learning of a potentially dangerous alley from Tsukino, Yuriko offers to use herself as bait to draw out the culprit. As Haruka starts hearing the attacker's thoughts, Yuriko is attacked by the culprit.|
|11||"Stand By Me"
"Sutando Bai Mī" (スタンド·バイ·ミー)
|March 22, 2013|
|Daichi protects Yuriko from the attack, forcing the attacker to retreat when people start showing up. Haruka once again feels guilty about what had happened, not wanting Yoshihisa getting involved having read his thoughts of concern over her. She ends up wandering around until she reaches a park, where she once again encounters Tsukino, who takes her to her apartment. Meanwhile, Hiyori informs Yoshihisa on the situation, hazing him for not staying by Haruka's side. Hiyori then confesses that she loves Yoshihisa, to which he responds that he loves Haruka, which Hiyori believes is the way it should be. After Yoshihisa heads off to search for Haruka, Hiyori laments over her rejection. Meanwhile, after recovering from his injury and assuring Yuriko, Daichi deduces that the attacker is in fact Tsukino. Yuriko's phone call to Haruka helps her avoid an attack from Tsukino, who has a violent split personality that emerged from years of bullying. As Haruka is chased into a corner on the terrace, Yoshihisa comes to her rescue and manages to ward off Tsukino's attack. Haruka then calls out to the true Tsukino, reminding her that there will be people who care for her, enabling her to overcome her dark side, after which she turns herself in to the police for the crimes that she committed.|
|12||"The Things I Want to Tell You"
"Tsutaetai Kokoro" (伝えたい言葉(ココロ))
|March 29, 2013|
|Some time after the previous incident, Yuriko suddenly tells the others that she is disbanding the ESP Society and replacing it with the New ESP Society, which is more or less the same thing. During the commotion, Haruka learns of Hiyori's failed confession to Yoshihisa, along with his feelings for Haruka. As the others head to book a room for a karaoke place, Yuriko expresses her apology towards Haruka, who tells her she has no reason to apologize. As their discussion turns to love, Haruka realises that Yoshihisa has not directly told her he loves her yet. Upon returning home, Haruka finds Kumiko waiting for her. Haruka finally speaks her mind to Kumiko, and the two proceed to get everything out of their system. As Kumiko takes a nap, Haruka reads her mind and learns how she really felt at the time she left home. Kumiko leaves early the next morning, but leaves behind some breakfast for Haruka. Later, Haruka talks with Hiyori about how she should confess to Yoshihisa, eventually realizing she should just let it come naturally. On a snowy night, Haruka and Yoshihisa formally confess to each other.|
- Bonus episodes
Haruka's Room (春香の部屋 Haruka no Heya) is a series of introductory web episodes that were streamed online between December 7, 2012 and January 11, 2013.
|1||"Episode 1"||December 7, 2012|
|Haruka interviews herself.|
|2||"Episode 2"||December 14, 2012|
|Yoshihisa is introduced, embarrassing Haruka with his fantasies.|
|3||"Episode 3"||December 21, 2012|
|Yuriko is introduced, getting passionate about ESP discussion.|
|4||"Episode 4"||December 28, 2012|
|Daichi is introduced, slacking off when not in the camera's view.|
|5||"Episode 5"||January 4, 2013|
|Hiyori is introduced, having her dreams shot down by Haruka.|
|6||"Episode 6"||January 11, 2013|
|Each of the characters give their two cents on the last episode.|
- "Kotoura-san Manga Will End With 7th Volume". Anime News Network. 2015-02-24. Retrieved 2015-02-24.
- "Kotoura-san School Romantic Comedy Manga Gets TV Anime". Anime News Network. 2012-08-28. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "Hisako Kanemoto, Jun Fukushima Lead Kotoura-san Cast". Anime News Network. 2012-10-27. Retrieved 2012-10-28.
- キャスト. Kotoura-san official anime website (in Japanese). Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "Crunchyroll to Stream Kotoura-san TV Anime". Anime News Network. January 8, 2013. Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- "NIS America Licenses Kotoura-san School Comedy TV Anime". Anime News Network. May 5, 2015. Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- 琴浦さん (in Japanese). Shoboi Calendar. Retrieved January 20, 2013.