Kristiansand Zoo and Amusement Park
Tigers swimming at the Zoo
|Date opened||June 26, 1966|
|Land area||150 acres (61 ha)|
|No. of species||100+|
|Annual visitors||1 026 000 in 2015|
|Major exhibits||Several theme park areas|
The Kristiansand Zoo and Amusement Park (Norwegian: Kristiansand Dyrepark) is a zoological garden and amusement park situated in of Kristiansand, Norway. It is Norway's most frequently visited attraction, covering an area of 60 hectares (150 acres). Established in 1966, it has been owned by Braganza since 2004.
Animals include wolves, lynxes, wolverines, tigers, lions, cheetahs, chimpanzees, moose, zebras, and orangutans. Other attractions include Cardamom Town (Norwegian: Kardemomme by), which is made to look like the town in the book by Thorbjørn Egner, and Captain Sabertooth and pirate village Abra Havn (Port of Abra), which is taken from a theatre act by the singer and actor Terje Formoe.
The operating company was listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange in 1993. Ludv. G. Braathens Rederi became a partial owner in 1996. Its successor company Braganza gradually bought up shares until reaching a forty-percent stake in 2004. That year it made a successful deal to buy the entire company and the company was subsequently delisted.
Captain Sabertooth World
In 1995 a Captain Sabertooth themed section of the Kristiansand Zoo and Amusement Park was opened. The area has a pirate village theme and contains various attractions, restaurants, and shops that are centered around the character. In the summer the park holds several shows and features, including one that allows guests to ride on Sabertooth's ship The Black Lady.
- Kaptein Sabeltanns skattkammer, a small exhibition of treasures and weapons from the Captain Sabertooth stories.
- Miriams forheksede hus, a haunted house attraction.
- Grusomme Gabriels gang
- Smokkariumet, a small room in the Captain Sabertooth castle where children that have stopped using pacifiers can place them in a coffin along with those left by others.
- Sjøslag på Grashavet, a daily event where The Black Lady and the Countess will battle each other.
- Sjørøvergrill, a pirate themed grill restaurant located next to the Kaptein Sabeltanns skattkammer.
- Piratproviant, a kiosk that serves burgers, fries, and other foods.
- Pizzabakeriet, a sit-down pizza restaurant located in the Pirate Theater.
- Kanelbakeriet, a bakery located within the pizza restaurant.
- Hevnen er SØT, a small storefront that sells cotton candy, popcorn, and other treats.
- Havnehandelen, a port themed shop that sells Sabertooth themed merchandise.
- Benjamins Bengalske Bazar, a shop that sells general pirate themed merchandise.
- Kaptein Sabeltanns Sjørøvermagasin, a shop that sells costumes, hats, and swords.
- Kapteinens Karibiske Marked, a shop that sells books, CDs and DVDs.
- Maga Khans Marked, a shop that sells bags, hats, and other merchandise.
- "Kristiansand Zoo and Amusement Park". dyreparken.no. Kristiansand Dyrepark AS. Archived from the original on 18 May 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- Reinertsen, Rune Øidne (2 November 2015). "Bedre med én langsiktig eier". Fædrelandsvennen (in Norwegian). p. 7.
- "Kaptein Sabeltanns Verden". Kristiansand Zoo. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kristiansand Dyrepark.|