A general view of L'Hospitalet-près-l'Andorre
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Arnaud Diaz|
|26.12 km2 (10.08 sq mi)|
|• Density||3.5/km2 (9.0/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||1,279–2,816 m (4,196–9,239 ft) |
(avg. 1,446 m or 4,744 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The area has a history of vulnerability to winter avalanches: one such in 1895 killed 12 (nearly 10% of the commune's population at the time), and much destruction was also caused in 1906 and 1929. Avalanches have from time to time cut the N20, the main road through the commune, the most recent case being in 2008.
The Gare d'Andorre - L'Hospitalet – served by TER Midi-Pyrénées regional trains between Toulouse and Latour-de-Carol and the overnight Intercités de nuit service between Paris and Latour-de-Carol – is an important international transport node for the nearby principality of Andorra, to which the station is connected by a bus link.
The village has a Mairie from which local government is organised. There is an elected mayor. The office is currently held by Arnaud Diaz.
There is a hotel in the village centre, the Hôtel du Puymorens, which has both a bar and a restaurant open to non-residents, and available to local residents. There is also a small guest house in the main street, operated as part of the French Gîtes system, with a small shop for essential supplies. There are few businesses trading in the village, although there is a small engineering company. There is a primary school, whose buildings include a residential youth centre for visiting groups. A school bus visits L'Hospitalet daily to transport older children to secondary school.
Roman Catholicism is the only organised religion in the community. There is a parish church, with churchyard, in the main street. Although the village has no resident priest, services are held regularly.
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Risques avalanches "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-11-25. Retrieved 2009-07-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link). (in French)
- Notice sur les avalanches constatées et leur environnement,  (in French)
- L'Hospitalet. La RN 20 coupée à cause d'une avalanche, 17 Dec 2008. . (in French)
- L'Hospitalet-près-l'Andorre on French IGN mapping portal
- L'Hospitalet-près-l'Andorre on Open Street Map
- L'Hospitalet-près-l'Andorre Official Village website
- La Porte des Cimes camping website
- Trophée de l’Isard race page
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to |
|This Ariège geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|