|Low Complexity Enhancement Video Coding MPEG-5 Part 2|
|Latest version||June 2021|
|Organization||ITU-T (SG16), ISO, IEC|
|Committee||ISO, VCEG, MPEG|
|Base standards||H.261, H.262 (aka MPEG-2 Video), H.263, MPEG-1|
|Related standards||H.264 (aka AVC), H.265 (aka HEVC), H.266 (aka VVC)|
LCEVC specifies an enhancement layer which, when combined with a base video encoded with a separate codec, produces an enhanced video stream. The base layer is decodable by a hardware decoder, and the enhancement layer is suitable for software processing implementation with sustainable power consumption.[further explanation needed] The enhancement layer provides improved features to existing codecs, such as compression capability extension and lower encoding/decoding complexity, for live streaming or broadcasting applications.
LCEVC leverages a base video codec (e.g., AVC, HEVC, VP9, AV1, EVC or VVC) and employs an efficient low-complexity enhancement that adds up to two layers of encoded residuals, along with normative signalled up-sampling methods, that correct artifacts produced by the base video codec and add detail and sharpness for the final output video.
LCEVC can be implemented with software updates for encoders and decoders, and was designed to leverage available hardware acceleration for graphics processing.
At IBC 2019 a preliminary implementation for encoding and decoding the forthcoming MPEG-5 Part 2 LCEVC was demonstrated.
October 2020 at the 132nd MPEG meeting, LCEVC is completed reaching Final Draft stage.
In April 2021, MPEG Video validated the Verification Test of LCEVC (Low Complexity Enhancement Video Coding) standard (ISO/IEC 23094-2). Test results tended to indicate an overall benefit also when using LCEVC to enhance AVC, HEVC, EVC and VVC.
In May 2021, V-NOVA LCEVC Licensing Terms were announced for Entertainment Video Services. It is a software development kit and a wide range of reference integrations that add MPEG-5 Part 2 LCEVC (ISO/IEC 23094-2) encoding and decoding to any existing video delivery workflow. V-NOVA LCEVC is an implementation of MPEG-5 Part 2 LCEVC, the codec-agnostic (ISO/IEC) enhancement standard capable of providing higher quality at up to 40% lower bitrates than codecs used natively.
As per Jan Ozer's report, LCEVC Technology entitled LCEVC x264 Report: Live Sports & eGames, ABR Ladder.
In January 2022, ISO/IEC published a set of tests and procedures to verify whether bitstreams and decoders meet normative requirements specified in the MPEG-5 LCEVC part 2 standard in order for implementers of LCEVC to be able to test the functioning and verify the conformance of their implementations.
- October 2018: Call for Proposals
- March 2019: Evaluation of the proposals received and first draft of the standard
- October 2019: Ballot issued for Committee Draft
- April 2020: Ballot issued for Draft International Standard
- October 2020: Completion of final standard
- Publishing of standard (ISO/IEC 23094–2)
Licensing is free of cost per decoder or encoder, but broadcaster or encoder-side use of enhancement layers is subject to fees.
- "MPEG-5 – Leonardo Chiariglione". leonardo.chiariglione.org.
- "Low Complexity Enhancement Video Coding | MPEG". mpeg.chiariglione.org.
- "How to Encode with LCEVC". Streaming Media Magazine. 12 March 2020.
- Trafford-Jones, Russell (9 July 2020). "Video: Outlook on the future codec landscape". The Broadcast Knowledge.
- "V-Nova". ATSC : NextGen TV.[permanent dead link]
- Pennington, Adrian. "2020: Crunch time for codecs". IBC.
- "Inside MPEG's Ambitious Plan to Launch 3 Video Codecs in 2020". Streaming Media Magazine. 15 October 2019.
- "Requirements for Low Complexity Video Coding Enhancements | MPEG". mpeg.chiariglione.org.
- "Call for Proposals for Low Complexity Video Coding Enhancements | MPEG". mpeg.chiariglione.org.
- "Introducing MPEG-5 Part 2 LCEVC" (PDF). itu.int.
- "LC EVC standard celebrates Final Draft". rethinkresearch.biz.
- "MPEG 134 – MPEG". MPEG Standards.
- "MPEG validates LCEVC performance as royalties about to be made public". CSI. 5 November 2021.
- "Nearly-polished LCEVC licensing model is real McCoy, not a decoy". Rethink.
- "V-Nova LCEVC Royalty Structure Announced". Streaming Media Magazine. 2021-05-20.
- Ozer, Jan (2021-04-15). "LCEVC Excels in Full Ladder Live Use Case Testing". Streaming Learning Center.
- "Brazilian goldrush for V-Nova as LCEVC etched into SBTVD 3.0". Rethink.
- "Fórum SBTVD | TV 3.0 Project". Forumsbtvd.org.br (in Brazilian Portuguese).
- "Information technology — General video coding — Part 3". ISO.
- Battista, Stefano; Meardi, Guido; Ferrara, Simone; Ciccarelli, Lorenzo; Maurer, Florian; Conti, Massimo; Orcioni, Simone (November 2022). "Battista, S., Meardi, G., Ferrara, S., Ciccarelli, L., Maurer, F., Conti, M., & Orcioni, S. (2022). Overview of the Low Complexity Enhancement Video Coding (LCEVC) Standard. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 1–1". IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology. 32 (11): 7983–7995. doi:10.1109/TCSVT.2022.3182793. S2CID 249664439.
- Battista, Stefano; Meardi, Guido; Ferrara, Simone; Ciccarelli, Lorenzo; Maurer, Florian; Conti, Massimo; Orcioni, Simone (August 2023). "Battista, S., Meardi, G., Ferrara, S., Ciccarelli, L., Maurer, F., Conti, M., & Orcioni, S. (2023). Verification Test of the Low Complexity Enhancement Video Coding (LCEVC) Standard. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 1–1". IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology. 33 (8): 4269–4278. doi:10.1109/TCSVT.2023.3237907. S2CID 256155304.
- "MPEG 132 – MPEG".
- "ISO/IEC 23094-2:2021(en)". www.iso.org.
- "LCEVC Enhanced Video". Official LCEVC V-Nova website. 2021-08-29.
- "FFmpeg with LCEVC". Official LCEVC V-Nova website. 2023-03-29.