La Reina del Sur (TV series)
|La Reina del Sur|
|Created by||Roberto Stopello|
|Based on||La Reina del Sur|
by Arturo Pérez-Reverte
|Story by||Arturo Pérez-Reverte|
|Creative director(s)||Gabriela Monroy|
|Narrated by||Kate del Castillo|
|Theme music composer||Bello Jaime Teodoro|
|Opening theme||"La Reina del Sur" performed by Los Cuates de Sinaloa|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||63 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Patricio Wills|
|Cinematography||Alejandro García W.|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080i|
|Audio format||Stereophonic sound|
|First shown in||United States|
|Original release||February 28, 2011– present|
|Related shows||Queen of the South|
La Reina del Sur (lit. The Queen of the South) is a Spanish-language telenovela produced by the American television network Telemundo, in conjunction with the Antena 3 network and RTI Producciones. Based on a novel of the same name by Spanish author Arturo Pérez-Reverte, the drama depicts the rise of Teresa Mendoza (Kate del Castillo), a young woman from Mexico who becomes the most powerful drug trafficker in southern Spain. La Reina del Sur was nominated for Novela of the Year, Favorite Lead Actress, and Best Bad Luck Video. With a $10 million budget it is the second most expensive telenovela ever produced by Telemundo, the first being El Señor de los Cielos. An English language remake, Queen of the South, premiered in June 2016 on USA Network, starring Alice Braga.
Season 1 (2011)
The series is the television adaptation of the literary work of the same name of Spanish author Arturo Pérez-Reverte. It is the chronicle of the rise to power of a Mexican woman within the world of international drug trafficking. Teresa Mendoza begins her adventure as a humble young woman in love with a pilot employed by the Mexican cartels. When they execute her boyfriend, Teresa flees, desperate to avoid the same fate. Her escape takes her to the south of Spain where she tries to start a new life. However, she is once again immersed in the world of narcotics trafficking, and for a second time, she suffers the death of a beloved man. After several blows, Teresa decides to take the reins of her destiny and becomes the head of her own organization. Through strategic alliances and a strong sense for business, Teresa "La Mexicana" begins to control an intercontinental drug distribution business. However, her great success is accompanied by a high personal price, and Teresa's happiness and heart are tested.
The season revolves around Teresa Mendoza eight years after the events of the first season. Disappeared for the rest of the world, Teresa now lives an idyllic existence in Italian Tuscany, but the kidnapping of her daughter forces her to reintroduce herself into the underworld of drug trafficking and once again confront her old enemies and the past she tried to leave behind.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||63||28 February 2011||30 May 2011|
- Kate del Castillo as Teresa Mendoza
- Humberto Zurita as Epifanio Vargas
- Rafael Amaya as Raimundo Dávila Parra / El Güero
- Iván Sánchez as Santiago López Fisterra / El Gallego
- Cristina Urgel as Patricia O'Farrell
- Alberto Jiménez as Oleg Yasikov
- Miguel de Miguel as Teo Aljarafe
- Gabriel Porras as Roberto Gato Márquez / El Gato Fierros
- Salvador Zerboni as Ramiro Vargas / El Ratas
- Nacho Fresneda as Dris Larbi
- Mónica Estarreado as Fátima Mansur
- Alejandro Calva as César Güemes / Batman
- Cuca Escribano as Sheila
- Dagoberto Gama as Potequim Gálvez / El Pote
- Christian Tappan as Willy Rangel
- Eduardo Velasco as Coronel Abdelkader Chaib
- Alfonso Vallejo as Manolo Céspedes
- Pablo Castañón as Lalo Veiga
- Miguel Ángel Blanco as Siso Pernas
- Lorena Santos as Soraya
- Sara Maldonado as Verónica Cortés / Guadalupe Romero
- Carmen Navarro as Marcela / La Conejo
- Santiago Meléndez as Saturnino "Nino" Juárez
- Juan José Arjona as Pablo Flores
- Karim El-Kerem as Mohamed Mansur
- Klaus as Eddie Álvarez
- Lincoln Palomeque as Faustino Sánchez Godoy
- Nerea Garmendia as Eugenia Montijo
- Juan Pablo Raba as Jaime Gutiérrez Solana
- Ezequiel Montalt as Jaime "Jimmy" Arenas
- Rodolfo Valdés as El Chino Parra
|Season||Timeslot (ET)||Episodes||First aired||Last aired||Avg. viewers|
|1||Mon–Fri 10pm/9c||63||February 28, 2011||2.4||May 30, 2011||4.2||TBD|
Awards and nominations
|2011||People in Spanish Awards|
|Best Telenovela||Roberto Stopello||Won|
|Best Actress||Kate del Castillo||Won|
|Best Supporting Actor||Humberto Zurita||Nominated|
|Best Villain||Salvador Zerboni||Nominated|
|Newcomer of the Year||Cristina Urgel||Won|
|Sweethearts||Kate del Castillo & Iván Sánchez||Nominated|
|2012||TVyNovelas Awards Colombia|
|Best Series||Roberto Stopello||Nominated|
|Favorite Production||Roberto Stopello||Nominated|
|Best Villain Of Series||Humberto Zurita||Nominated|
|1st Your World Awards|
|Novela of the Year||Roberto Stopello||Nominated|
|Favorite Lead Actress||Kate del Castillo||Nominated|
|Best Bad Luck Video||Amor que mata||Nominated|
One of the real life characters that inspired the novel is Sandra Ávila Beltrán, known as the Queen of the Pacific, famous for being one of the first female drug traffickers to reach the level of "Boss" in the Mexican cartels, a place usually reserved for men.
- TELEMUNDO PRESENTS THE FIRST EDITION OF “PREMIOS TU MUNDO” (YOUR WORLD AWARDS) CELEBRATING THE BEST IN POP CULTURE THURSDAY, AUGUST 30 FROM 8PM-11PM/ET
- Premios tu mundo 2012: Categorías y Nominados
- Lista de ganadores de la primera edición de los premios Tu Mundo[permanent dead link]
- Guthrie, Marisa (1 April 2011). "How the Telenovela Is Beating the Networks". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 12 May 2011.
- N'Duka, Amanda (9 June 2016). "Queen Of The South EP & Cast Talk Female Empowerment And The Importance of Keeping It Real". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 24 June 2016.
- Andreeva, Nellie (23 September 2014). "La Reina Del Sur Adaptation Picked Up By USA Network As Drama Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 23 February 2016.
- "La reina del sur 2: tráiler, fecha de estreno, personajes y lo que debes saber". laprensa.peru.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "Este es el primer avance de La Reina del Sur 2". El Salvador (in Spanish). 17 May 2017. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "Telemundo's Epic Original Production La Reina Del Sur Delivers Highest Premiere Ratings In Network History". Tvbythenumbers. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- Sellers, John. "'La Reina del Sur' Finale Does Muy, Muy Bien for Telemundo". thewrap.com. Retrieved 15 May 2017.