Lacey Green Windmill
2,559 (2011 Census including Calsden , Loosley Row and Speen)
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||Princes Risborough|
|Website||Lacey Green & Loosley Row|
It was home to Heston Blumenthal, whose parents used to own amusement arcades in the area.
The village has lost its Methodist chapel, shop and sub-post office but still retains a sports club, primary school, two pubs (three if you include The Pink and Lily at Parslow's Hillock), Village Hall and the windmill.
Dated to 1650 by leading authority Stanley Freese, Lacey Green windmill is the oldest surviving smock mill in England  and was restored from a state of almost total collapse by volunteers under the auspices of the Chiltern Society. Though it is widely believed that the mill was originally sited in nearby Chesham and moved to Lacey Green in 1821, no primary sources have been found to substantiate this and the Chiltern Society has been unable to trace the story beyond 1932  A somewhat speculative theory to perhaps explain the story's origin has been advanced by Michael Highfield, author of the Chiltern Society's guide to the mill. He recounts a conversation with a 96-year-old lady who had lived in the area all her life and remembered being chased away from "Cheshums Mill" as a child. The Mill had been in the Cheshire family since the 1860s and was sometimes referred to locally as Cheshire's mill, applying the Buckinghamshire dialect possessive suffix 'ums', Cheshire's becomes Cheshums!
- Neighbourhood Statistics 2001 Census
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Lacey Green Airfield
- Lacey Green Windmill website
- Information of Lacey Green windmill at the Chiltern Society Archived 2011-10-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- Highfield, M (2003). Lacey Green Windmill. The Chiltern Society.
- Lacey Green Parish Council http://laceygreen-pc.org.uk/
|This Buckinghamshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|