Number of locations
|Western Canada and Ontario|
|Neil Campbell, CEO|
Number of employees
Landmark Cinemas, Inc. is a movie theatre chain that operates 45 theatres across the four western provinces of Canada and in Ontario. The chain was founded in 1965. The company's corporate office is located in Calgary, Alberta.
Landmark Cinemas' first major expansion took place in 1984, when it purchased most of the Alberta and British Columbia assets of Canadian Odeon Theaters as part of that chain's merger into Cineplex Odeon Corporation, now Cineplex Entertainment.
On June 27, 2013, Landmark Cinemas announced the purchase of 23 theatres in Ontario and Western Canada from Empire Theatres. It later added the Kanata and Whitby locations that were to be sold to Cineplex Entertainment, plus Ottawa's World Exchange Plaza. This transaction made Landmark the second-largest cinema chain in Canada with 54 locations and 359 screens. The sale also included five IMAX screens in Calgary, Kitchener, Whitby, Kingston and Ottawa's Kanata location, and three Empire Extra screens in Calgary, Waterloo, and Ottawa's Orleans location. Empire promotional offers such as Reel Deal Tuesdays and University/College Student Combo were carried over by Landmark, but only some locations offer these discounts.
Empire Theatres in Ontario and Western Canada closed on October 29, 2013 after the evening shows which also closed Empire Theatres permanently. On October 31, 2013, the theatres reopened as Landmark Cinemas. The sale closed on October 31, 2013. Branding name changes occurred in 2014 at the former Empire Theatres locations. Landmark Cinemas only operated the World Exchange Plaza theatre on a management contract for two months in 2013, from October 25 to December 29 when its lease expired.
|Theatre name||City||Format||Former owner||Premium Large Format|
|Showcase 5||Campbell River||Traditional||Caprice Showcase Theatres||N/A|
|Centre Cinema||Dawson Creek||Traditional||?||N/A|
|Aurora Cinema Centre||Fort St. John||Traditional||?||N/A|
|Grand 10||Kelowna||Stadium||Caprice Showcase Theatres||N/A|
|Avalon Cinema Centre||Nanaimo||Stadium||?||N/A|
|Landmark 10||New Westminster||Stadium||?||N/A|
|Paramount||Port Alberni||Traditional||Famous Players||N/A|
|Guildford||Surrey||SilverCity||National General Cinemas, Famous Players, Empire Theatres||N/A|
|University 4||Victoria||Traditional||Famous Players, Empire Theatres||N/A|
|Capitol Encore||West Kelowna||Traditional||Caprice Showcase Theatres||N/A|
|Landmark 8 & Xtreme||West Kelowna||Stadium||?||Landmark Xtreme|
|Capitol 9||Brandon||Stadium||Empire Theatres||N/A|
|Southland 5||Winkler||Traditional||Empire Theatres||N/A|
|Towne 8||Winnipeg||Traditional||Cineplex Odeon||N/A|
|Grant Park 8||Winnipeg||Stadium||National General Cinemas, Cineplex Odeon, Empire Theatres||N/A|
|Yukon Cinema Centre||Whitehorse||Traditional||?||N/A|
|Country Hills||Calgary||SilverCity||Famous Players, Empire Theatres||Digital IMAX|
|Shawnessy||Calgary||Coliseum||Famous Players, Empire Theatres||Extra Experience|
|City Centre||Edmonton||Traditional||Cineplex Odeon, Empire Theatres||N/A|
|Landmark Six||Fort McMurray||Traditional||May Theatres||N/A|
|Spruce Grove||Spruce Grove||Traditional||Magic Lantern Theatres, Empire Theatres||N/A|
|Sylvan Lake||Sylvan Lake||Traditional||?||N/A|
|Jackson Square||Hamilton||Contemporary||Famous Players, Empire Theatres||N/A|
|Kingston||Kingston||Contemporary||Empire Theatres||Digital IMAX|
|Kitchener||Kitchener||SilverCity||Famous Players, Empire Theatres||Digital IMAX|
|Kanata||Ottawa||AMC Theatres||AMC Theatres, Empire Theatres||Digital IMAX|
|London||London||Traditional||Famous Players, Empire Theatres||N/A|
|Orleans||Ottawa||Contemporary||Empire Theatres||Extra Experience|
|Pen Centre||St. Catharines||SilverCity||Famous Players, Empire Theatres||N/A|
|Waterloo||Waterloo||Contemporary||Empire Theatres||Extra Experience|
|Whitby||Whitby||AMC Theatres||AMC Theatres, Empire Theatres||Digital IMAX|
|Theatre name||City||Format||Former owner|
|Gaiety Theatre||Grande Prairie||Traditional||?|
|Globe Theatre||Calgary||Traditional||Cineplex Odeon|
|Jan Cinema||Grande Prairie||Traditional||?|
|Jasper Cinema Centre||Edmonton||Traditional||Cineplex Odeon|
|Landmark 10 Clareview||Edmonton||Traditional||Cineplex Odeon, Empire Theatres|
|Lyric Theatre||Grande Prairie||Traditional||?|
|Prairie Cinema Centre||Grande Prairie||Traditional||?|
|Towne Cinema Centre||Edmonton||Traditional||May Theatres|
|Wapiti Drive-In||Grande Prairie||Drive-In||?|
|Armond Theatre||Cranbrook||Traditional||Famous Players|
|Bay Theatre||Nanaimo||Traditional||Famous Players|
|Coronet Theatre||Prince George||Traditional||Famous Players|
|Crest Theatre||Dawson Creek||Traditional||?|
|Esplanade||North Vancouver||Traditional||Famous Players, Empire Theatres|
|Galaxy Theatre||Campbell River||Traditional||?|
|Grand 6 Cinemas||Abbotsford||Traditional||Cineplex Odeon|
|Lido Theatre||Fort St. John||Traditional||?|
|Paramount Theatre||Chilliwack||Traditional||Famous Players|
|Paramount Theatre||Kelowna||Traditional||Famous Players|
|Penmar Cinema Centre||Penticton||Traditional||?|
|Towne Cinema||Vernon||Traditional||Famous Players|
|Towne Cinema Centre||Abbotsford||Traditional||?|
|Vic Theatre||Victoria||Traditional||Cineplex Odeon|
|Westbank Drive-In||West Kelowna||Drive-in||?|
|Globe Theatre||Winnipeg||Traditional||Famous Players|
|Landmark Cinemas Square One||Mississauga||Traditional||Cineplex Odeon, Empire Theatres|
|World Exchange Plaza||Ottawa||Traditional||Cineplex Odeon, Empire Theatres|
|C & H Drive-In||Lloydminster||Drive-In||?|
|Cinema 6 Drive-In||Regina||Drive-In||Cineplex Odeon|
|Roxy Theatre||Saskatoon||Traditional||Cineplex Odeon|
Landmark Cinemas features ten premium large format screens. These require an additional cost compared to a regular admission and offer reserved seating.
- The company currently operates five digital IMAX screens. One is in Calgary, Alberta (Country Hills) and four are in Ontario at the Kingston, Kitchener, Kanata and Whitby locations. All of these were previously owned by Empire Theatres and, with the exception of Kingston, were in turn previously owned by AMC Theatres (Kanata and Whitby) or Famous Players (SilverCity in Calgary and Kitchener).
- Extra Experience, formerly known as Empire Extra, is a large screen theatre concept debuted by Empire Theatres and acquired by Landmark. This technology is available at four locations: Calgary (Shawnessy), Orleans, Waterloo and Winnipeg (Grant Park 8). The technology was installed by Empire, with the exception of the Winnipeg location, where Landmark installed the technology in May 2015 and premiered Pitch Perfect 2 on Extra. These theatres use a Barco 2K projector, a custom-designed 7.1 surround sound system and faux leather seats.
- Xtreme is available exclusively at the West Kelowna, BC location. It is a Landmark Cinemas brand similar to the Extra Experience, but in lieu of Extra's 7.1 surround sound, Xtreme uses Barco Auro 11.1 surround sound.
- "About Us". Landmarkcinemas.com. Retrieved 2013-06-28.
- "IMAX Movies Combo". Landmark Cinemas. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Empire Company Announces Sale of Empire Theatres". Canada Newswire. CNW Group. June 27, 2013. Retrieved July 13, 2013.
- "Landmark Cinemas of Canada Announces Acquisition of Twenty Empire Theatres". MMD Newswire. Mass Media Distribution. June 27, 2013. Retrieved July 13, 2013.
- "Pitch, Please - Win Passes to Pitch Perfect 2". 103.1 Virgin Radio Winnipeg. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- Charlebois, Brieanna. "Tell Us About Us Comment".