|Location||3101 Yonge Street
|Opened||31 March 1973|
Lawrence is a subway station on the Yonge–University line in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located under Yonge Street at Lawrence Avenue, in the Bedford Park, Lawrence Park and Lytton Park neighbourhoods.
The station is on four levels, all the entrances to the station are at street level, the concourse and collector level is on the second level, the bus platform is on the third level, and the subway platform is on the lower level.
There are four entrances to the station located in the surrounding area:
- an entrance on Lawrence Avenue, west of Yonge Street
- an entrance on Lawrence Avenue, east of Yonge Street
- an automatic entrance at Bedford Park Avenue, which leads directly to the subway platform level
- an automatic entrance at Ranleigh Avenue, which leads directly to the subway platform level
Lawrence Station was opened in 1973 as an intermediate stop between Eglinton, the former northern terminus of the Yonge line, and York Mills, which acted as a temporary terminus for a year until the subway was further extended to Finch. Lawrence was the first station on the network to feature an underground bus terminal (York Mills, St. Clair West, and Don Mills are the others). It is still one of Toronto’s deepest stations.
On 23 April 2007, TTC employee Antonio Almeida was killed in the tunnel just south of the station when a platform on his work car was dislodged.
In 2012, a series of renovations repaired the deteriorating concrete of the bus roadway and tunnel walls. Between the fall of 2012 and mid-2015, four high-capacity fire ventilation fans were installed at the station.
- Nearby there are a series of parks that run through Chatsworth and Blythwood ravines from Chatsworth Drive and Cheritan Avenue to Bayview Avenue.
- Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens located here
- Toronto Public Library Locke Branch
Buses enter the station counter to the normal traffic directions so that bus doors will face the centre bus platform.
- 52A Lawrence West to Pearson Airport via Dixon Road
- 52B to Westwood Mall Bus Terminal via Dixon Road (Extra fare required west of Airport Road)
- 52D to McNaughton via Dixon Road (Extra fare required west of Airport)
- 52F to Royal York Road
- 52G to Martin Grove via The Westway
- 97+ Yonge - transfer is required because the buses on this route use curbside stops outside the station
- 124 Sunnybrook to Sunnybrook Hospital
- 162 Lawrence-Donway to Don Mills Road
- 352 Blue Night Lawrence West eastbound to Sunnybrook Hospital and westbound to Pearson Airport.
- "Subway ridership, 2014" (PDF). Toronto Transit Commission. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
This table shows the typical number of customer-trips made on each subway on an average weekday and the typical number of customers travelling to and from each station platform on an average weekday.
- "TTC Lawrence Station". Toronto Transit Commission. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Staff Reporter (2007-04-23). "Toronto transit worker dies in subway tunnel accident". CBC News. Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- Diego Sinagoga, Community Liaison Representative (May 9, 2012). "Construction TTC Lawrence Station – Bus Loop Tunnel". TTC. Retrieved January 2014. Check date values in:
- "Lawrence Station: Fire Ventilation Upgrade". TTC. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Toronto Public Library: Locke Branch
Media related to Lawrence Station at Wikimedia Commons