Exhibition GO Station
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Tracks||2 + 2 central bypass tracks|
|Connections|| Exhibition Loop
|Station code||GO Transit: EXGO|
The station is located west of downtown Toronto at Exhibition Place, an area of convention and exhibition venues, sports facilities, and other entertainment attractions, restaurants and nightclubs. It is also on the south side of Liberty Village, a former industrial area which has been redeveloped into a residential neighbourhood with retail and restaurants.
Although the station is widely used during the Canadian National Exhibition, other major events and destinations at the Exhibition grounds include, Ricoh Coliseum, National Trade Centre, Medieval Times, Liberty Grand, BMO Field, Ontario Place, Molson Amphitheatre and Honda Indy Toronto.
Directly in front of the station there is a connection with Toronto Transit Commission buses on Dufferin route 29C and at the nearby Exhibition Loop with 511 Bathurst and 509 Harbourfront streetcar lines.
A suggestion has been made to integrate TTC and GO Transit fares so that riders from the adjoining Liberty Village neighbourhood would not have to pay full fare again when transferring between the GO train and TTC services. This would also help to ease rush hour congestion on the 504 King streetcar.
The original Grand Trunk Railway station consisted of a wooden frame building, located on the south side of the tracks just east of Dufferin Street. The grade separation, which was done between 1910 and 1912, resulted in the demolition of that station since it was necessary to build a retaining wall along the south side of the cutting. New Dufferin Gates were constructed at the entrance to Exhibition Place, with concrete stairs down to two side platforms west of the new bridge over the tracks. Passenger service continue to operate there until the 1960s.
Work to widen the platforms and add a snowmelt system, an accessible boarding area, and platform canopies began in the fall of 2012 and is expected to be complete in the spring of 2016.
- "Exhibition GO Station— TRAIN STATION". GO Transit. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "Directions & Parking, GO Train". Exhibition Place. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- "Condo Showdown: Five Liberty Village Units for Under $550,000". Toronto Life. June 11, 2013. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- "Integrated TTC-GO fare urged for Liberty Village riders". The Globe and Mail. October 23, 2013. Retrieved February 28, 2014.
Every other municipality has a deal with GO to do this except the city of Toronto
- "Grand Trunk Grade Separation in Toronto" (PDF). Railway Age Gazette. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- "Modernizing Stations – Exhibition GO Station". GO Transit. Retrieved May 17, 2015.
Media related to Exhibition GO Station at Wikimedia Commons