Lawrence West (TTC)
|Location||655 Lawrence Avenue West
|Structure type||at grade in highway median|
|Architect||Dunlop Farrow Aitken |
|Opened||28 January 1978|
Lawrence West is a subway station on the Yonge–University line in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located in the median of William R. Allen Road at Lawrence Avenue West. The station serves the local communities of Lawrence Heights, Lawrence Manor and Glen Park, and nearby destinations such as the Columbus Centre, Lawrence Heights Community Recreation Centre and Lawrence Square Shopping Centre. Wi-Fi service is available at this station. 
Besides the collector booth, the station has a Gateway Newstands in the paid area of the south side area.
In 2014 an elevator, automatic sliding doors and an accessible fare gate were installed in the main part of the station on the south side of Lawrence Avenue, to make the station wheelchair accessible. In addition, repairs were made to the saw-tooth bus platforms and the roadway was repaved for low floor buses. The northside entrance remains inaccessible due to space restrictions and generally used as drop off point by car.
Architecture and art
Dunlop Farrow Aitken was the firm responsible for the station's architecture. The structure is composed of an enclosed train platform area in the median of Allen Road, which is bridged by a bus loop and waiting area on the south side of the Lawrence Avenue bridge. Staffed entrances on both sides of the street connect to a transfer area which links the train platform and the bus area.
Upon entrance from the Lawrence Avenue bridge over Allen Road, the bus waiting area and the train platform are apparent. This openness is achieved through glazed walls and a large stairwell. The glass is framed with distinctive orange-painted metal. The platform level features exposed concrete walls, with a long strip of skylights above the tracks with the same orange framing used throughout the station. Rectangular prism benches with rectangular tiles of yellow, orange, and brown hues are unique to the station. Similar tiles are used on the floors and centre pillars.
- 52A/B/D/F Lawrence West eastbound to Lawrence Station
- 52A Westbound to Pearson Airport via Dixon Road
- 52B Westbound to Westwood Mall Bus Terminal via Dixon Road (Extra fare required west of Airport)
- 52D Westbound to McNaughton via Dixon Road (Extra fare required west of Airport)
- 52F Westbound to Royal York Road
- 52G Westbound to Martin Grove Road via The Westway - terminates here eastbound
- 59A Maple Leaf to Weston Road via Gary Drive
- 59B to Weston Road via Church Street
- 109B/C Ranee south to Eglinton West Station
- 109B north to Neptune Drive via Marlee Avenue and Flemington Road; south to Eglinton West Station
- 109C north to Neptune Drive via Marlee Avenue and Varna Drive; south to Eglinton West Station
- 400 Lawrence Manor Community Bus
- 352 Blue Night Lawrence West eastbound to Sunnybrook Hospital and westbound to Pearson Airport. Overnight service stops on Lawrence Avenue and does not enter the station
- "Subway ridership, 2014" (PDF). Toronto Transit Commission. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
This table shows the typical number of customer-trips made on each subway on an average weekday and the typical number of customers travelling to and from each station platform on an average weekday.
- "There's now free WiFi at over 40 TTC subway stations". blogTO. Retrieved 2016-12-21.
- 4 held in subway swarmings
- "Lawrence West Station: Elevator Construction Update". website. TTC. Retrieved October 2014. Check date values in:
- Lito Romano, Community Liaison (April 2013). "Lawrence West Station: Easier Access Program" (PDF). TTC. Retrieved December 2014. Check date values in:
- "Design for Transit", Canadian Architect, 21: 34, 1976
- "Design for Transit", p. 34
- "Breeze, Claude". Saskatchewan Archival Information Network. Retrieved August 2012. Check date values in:
Media related to Lawrence West Station at Wikimedia Commons