Lily van den Broecke
|Full name||Lily Jacoba van den Broecke|
8 January 1992 |
|Height||1.64 m (5 ft 5 in)|
|Weight||50 kg (110 lb)|
|College team||Durham University Boat Club|
Lily van den Broecke was born on 8 January 1992 in Lambeth, England. She is 1.64 metres (5 ft 5 in) tall and weighs 50 kilograms (110 lb). She went to primary school at St Thomas' CE in Winchelsea East sussex and moved to Oxford for secondary school. She is a student at Durham University, belonging to University College, Durham more commonly known as Castle. Lily is studying for a Bachelor of Arts degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics.
She began rowing when she attended Headington School, Oxford. After competing in sculling for four years she tried out as a cox. In 2009 she coxed the junior women's eight crew to fourth place at the Australian Youth Olympic Festival and a gold medal at the Coupe de la Jeunesse in Vichy, France. In 2010 she won a gold medal coxing the junior women's eight at the World Rowing Junior Championships in Račice, Czech Republic. This was the first ever junior women's gold medal for the Great Britain Rowing Team.
In 2011 she competed at the at World Rowing Championships held at Lake Bled, Bled, Slovenia. She won a gold medal in the LTAMix4+ event coxing a crew of Pam Relph, Naomi Riches, James Roe and David Smith. They completed the one kilometre course in a time of three minutes, 27.10 seconds, finishing nearly five seconds ahead of runners-up Canada. The result qualified a boat for Great Britain into the 2012 Summer Paralympics in London. The crew repeated their gold medal result at the Munich World Cup event in 2012.
She was selected to cox the crew of Pamela Relph, Naomi Riches, James Roe and David Smith in the mixed coxed four event for Great Britain at the 2012 Summer Paralympics. The event took place between 31 August and 2 September at Eton Dorney in Buckinghamshire, and the GB crew won the gold medal.
- "Lily van den Broecke". British Paralympic Association. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "Lily van den Broecke Biography". British Rowing. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "Lily van den Broecke Biography". Durham University News. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "World Rowing: GB mixed coxed four win adaptive gold". BBC Sport. 4 September 2011. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Wham, bam thank you Pam as rower gets gold to set up London 2012 dream". The Bucks Herald. 8 September 2011. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "London 2012: Lily Van den Broecke joy at selection". BBC Sport. 27 June 2012. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "2012 Paralympics: GB rowing's mixed coxed four - who's who?". BBC Sport. 25 August 2012. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Mixed Coxed Four - LTAMix4+". The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Limited. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 29 December 2012.
-  Cabinet Office