|Region||Northern Region of Uganda|
|• Mayor||Mike Ogwang Olwa Veve|
|Elevation||3,540 ft (1,080 m)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
Lira is a city in the Northern Region of Uganda. It is the main municipal, administrative, and commercial centre of Lira District. Lira was the main city of the defunct Lango District, which corresponds geographically with the current Lango sub-region.
Lira is approximately 110 kilometres (68 mi), by road, southeast of Gulu, the largest city in the Northern Region, along the highway between Gulu and Mbale. This is approximately 320 kilometres (200 mi), by road, north of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and its largest city. Lira is approximately 124 kilometres (77 mi) northwest of Soroti, the nearest large town to the south. The coordinates of Lira are 2°14'50.0"N 32°54'00.0"E (Latitude:02.2472; Longitude:32.9000).
The 2002 national census estimated the population of Lira at 80,900. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 105,100. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population at 108,600. In August 2014, the national population census put the population at 99,059.
An 80 kilometres (50 mi) 132 kilovolt electricity line from the Karuma Power Station is under construction to a substation in Lira, under the supervision of Intec Gopa International Energy Consultants GmbH of Germany.
Points of interest
The following additional points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of town:
- Offices of Lira Municipal Council
- Lira main market
- Lira University, a public university in Uganda
- Lira Campus of Uganda Martyrs University, a private university, whose main campus is located in Nkozi, Mpigi District
- All Saints University, a private university affiliated with the Church of Uganda
- A branch of the National Social Security Fund
- Sam Engola, politician and businessman
- UBOS (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- Denis Ogwal (July 20, 2017). "Lira Municpal Development Forum Elects New Executive". New Vision. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
...among the development programs that the committee is mandated to monitor is the implementation of Uganda Support Municipal Infrastructural Development (USMID) program.
- "Road Distance Between Gulu And Lira With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Lira And Kampala With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Soroti And Lira With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- Google (1 July 2015). "Location of Lira At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- UBOS. "Estimated Population of Lira In 2002, 2010 And 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 July 2014. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- Cissy Makumbi, Cissy (28 October 2013). "Museveni Opens Gulu Railway Line". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- Odyek, John (13 August 2015). "UETCL Signs €5.2 Million (USh20.5 Billion) Deal With German Company". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 13 August 2015.