|Lira Regional Referral Hospital|
|Uganda Ministry of Health|
Lira District, Uganda
|Type||General and teaching|
|Lists||Hospitals in Uganda|
|Other links||Hospitals in Uganda|
Medical education in Uganda
Lira Regional Referral Hospital, commonly known as Lira Hospital, is a hospital in Lira in the Northern Region of Uganda. It is the referral hospital for the districts of Amolatar, Apac, Dokolo, Lira, Kole, and Oyam.
Lira Hospital is located along Police Road, in the central business district of Lira Town, approximately 342 kilometres (213 mi), by road, north of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. This is approximately 111 kilometres (69 mi), by road, southeast of Gulu Hospital the nearest other regional referral hospital. The coordinates of Lira Hospital are: 02°15'06.0"N, 32°54'07.0"E (Latitude:2.251667; Longitude:32.901944)
Lira Hospital is a public hospital, funded by the Uganda Ministry of Health, and general care in the hospital is free. It is one of the regional referral hospitals in Uganda. The hospital is designated as one of the internship hospitals in Uganda, where graduates of Ugandan medical schools can serve one year of internship under the supervision of qualified specialists and consultants. The bed capacity of the hospital in 2012 was 254. Staff shortage is a concern. In 2012, of the 39 required doctors, the hospital had only 9 doctors.
In September 2017, the hospital commissioned an 8-apartment building to house some of the critically essential staff, so that they can quickly respond to emergencies. Prior to then, all staff lived off-campus, away from the hospital. Construction of the three-story building started in January 2015 and lasted 2 years and eight months, at a cost of USh1.5 billion (approx. US$430,000), fully funded by the Government of Uganda.
- Oketch, Bill (13 October 2012). "Lira hospital faces doctor shortage". Daily Monitor Mobile. Kampala. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- GFC (19 September 2017). "Distance between Post Office Building, Kampala Road, Kampala, Uganda and Lira Regional Referral Hospital, Police Road, Lira, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- GFC (19 September 2017). "Distance between Gulu Regional Referral Hospital, Gulu, Uganda and Lira Regional Referral Hospital, Police Road, Lira, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- Google (19 September 2017). "Location of Lira Regional Referral Hospital" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- Ekol, Joseph (19 September 2017). "Lira Hospital gets Sh1.5 billion staff housing". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 19 September 2017.