List of Monmouth County Freeholder directors
This is a list of those who have served as Director of the Monmouth County, New Jersey Board of Chosen Freeholders from 1790 to the present. Pursuant to legislation passed in 1709, freeholders sat with the justices of the peace as the Board of Justices and Freeholders; the presiding officer was then known as chairman. Chairmen of the Board of Justices and Freeholders are included here where records are still extant, as well as whether they were a justice or a freeholder.
Legislation passed in 1798 separated the freeholders and justices; at that time the Board of Chosen Freeholders was established.
Before 1906, Monmouth County Freeholders were elected by townships; where available, this is indicated. As a result of a 1905 referendum reducing the membership on the board, from 1906 to the present they have been elected at-large.
Chairmen of the Board of Justices and Freeholders (1790–1798)
|Joseph Holmes||1794–1795||Upper Freehold|
|Joseph Holmes||1796–1797||Upper Freehold|
Directors of the Board of Chosen Freeholders (1798–Present)
|2||James Allen, Esq.||1804–1805||Howell|
|5||John P. Conover||1810–1811||Freehold|
|6||Garret P. Wikoff||1811–1819||Federalist||Upper Freehold|
|7||William I. Conover||1819–1822||Democratic-Republican||Freehold|
|8||John J. Ely, Esq.||1822–1835||National Republican||Freehold|
|9||John I. Conover||1835–1844||Democratic||Freehold|
|11||Benjamin I. Lafetra||1848–1851||Democratic||Howell|
|14||Thomas H. Lafetra||1857–1860||Democratic||Wall|
|16||William H. Bennett||1872–1873||Democratic||Ocean|
|17||Austin H. Patterson||1873–1875||Democratic||Howell|
|18||John T. Haight||1875–1881||Democratic||Atlantic|
|19||Charles H. Boud||1881–1882||Democratic||Howell|
|20||John C. Hathaway||1882–1884||Democratic||Neptune|
|22||John Henry Heyer||1887–1898||Democratic||Holmdel|
|23||John Guire||1898–1906||Democratic||Ocean; Ward No. 2, Long Branch|
|24||William B. Conover||1907–1910||Republican||At-large|
|25||John M. Corlies||1911–1916||Democratic||At-large|
|26||Charles M. Wyckoff||1917–1918||Democratic||At-large|
|27||William M. Bergen||1919–1920||Republican||At-large|
|28||Bryant B. Newcomb||1921–1933||Republican||At-large|
|29||Frederic P. Reichey||1934–1935||Democratic||At-large|
|30||Raymond L. Wyckoff||1936–1938||Republican||At-large|
|32||Edgar O. Murphy||1942–1947||Republican||At-large|
|33||James S. Parkes||1948–1950||Republican||At-large|
|34||Joseph C. Irwin||1951–1974||Republican||At-large|
|35||Philip N. Gumbs||1975–1976||Democratic||At-large|
|37||Harry Larrison, Jr.||1977–1978||Republican||At-large|
|Harry Larrison, Jr.||1981–1983||Republican||At-large|
|38||Thomas J. Lynch, Jr.||1984–1985||Democratic||At-large|
|Harry Larrison, Jr.||1986–2004||Republican||At-large|
|39||Thomas J. Powers||2005||Republican||At-large|
|40||William C. Barham||2006–2007||Republican||At-large|
|41||Lillian G. Burry||2008||Republican||At-large|
|42||Barbara J. McMorrow||2009||Democratic||At-large|
|Lillian G. Burry||2010||Republican||At-large|
|43||Robert D. Clifton||2011||Republican||At-large|
|44||John P. Curley||2012||Republican||At-large|
|45||Thomas A. Arnone||2013||Republican||At-large|
|Lillian G. Burry||2014||Republican||At-large|
|46||Gary J. Rich, Sr.||2015||Republican||At-large|
Notes and references
- Minutes, Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders
- Jordan, Bob. "Burry named first female director of Monmouth freeholders", Asbury Park Press, January 3, 2008. Accessed April 2, 2012. "Thomas J. Powers was director in 2005. The late Harry Larrison Jr. served as director of the freeholder board from 1974 until he stepped down in December 2004, with the exception of six years when the Democrats had a majority."
- Staff. "Former Freeholder Director said to have possessed 'big heart' - Friends, adversaries laud Thomas J. Lynch", The Independent, March 18, 1987, p. 10. Accessed April 2. 2012. "From 1984 to 1986, while the Democrats had control of the board, Lynch served as Freeholder director."
- Jordan, Bob. "Freeholders still must pick leaders", Asbury Park Press, January 1, 2008. Accessed April 2, 2012. "The current director, William C. Barham, is finishing his second year in that role..."
- Freeholder Lillian G. Burry, Monmouth County, New Jersey. Accessed April 2, 2012. "Served as Director of the Board – 2008, 2010"
- Jordan, Bob. "Dems choose McMorrow to be freeholder director", Asbury Park Press, December 6, 2008. Accessed April 2, 2012. "Monmouth County freeholders will get their second female director next month. The new Democratic majority announced Friday that it has selected Barbara J. McMorrow for the title."
- Staff. "Robert D. Clifton named director; John P. Curley is deputy director: Tom Arnone sworn in as freeholder - Shaun Golden sworn in as Sheriff", Monmouth County, New Jersey, January 7, 2011. Accessed April 2, 2012. "Following the oaths of office, the 2011 Board of Chosen Freeholders selected Freeholder Robert D. Clifton to serve as director and Freeholder John P. Curley to serve as deputy director for the year."
- Staff. "Curley named director of Monmouth freeholders", Tri-Town News, January 19, 2012. Accessed April 2, 2012. "John P. Curley took the reins of the Monmouth County Board of Freeholders on Jan. 5 at Monmouth County’s annual Organization Day held at Biotechnology High School, Freehold Township, pledging to hold the line on spending and provide more oversight over county government."