Robert D. Clifton
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly from the 12th District|
|Assumed office |
January 10, 2012
Serving with Ronald S. Dancer
|Preceded by||Caroline Casagrande|
|Member of the Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders|
January 1, 2005 – January 10, 2012
|Preceded by||Edward J. Stominski|
|Succeeded by||Serena DiMaso|
|Mayor of Matawan, New Jersey|
October 1, 1996 – January 18, 2005
|Preceded by||Robert Shuey|
|Succeeded by||Beatrice Duffy|
|Born||December 31, 1968|
Matawan, New Jersey
|Residence||Matawan, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||B.A. Rider College (political science)|
M.A. University of Richmond (political science)
|Occupation||Director of Local Government Affairs, Comcast Cable|
Robert D. Clifton (born December 31, 1968) is an American Republican Party politician who has served in the New Jersey General Assembly since January 10, 2012, representing the 12th Legislative District. He previously served on the Monmouth County, New Jersey Board of Chosen Freeholders from 2005 until he took office in the Assembly.
Clifton was born and raised in Matawan, where he attended local elementary schools and St. John Vianney High School. He earned a bachelor's degree in political science at Rider College (now Rider University) and a master's degree in political science at the University of Richmond. He has been employed by Comcast Cable as Director of Government and Community Affairs since 2001. Prior to that, Clifton was Director of Industry Relations for the New Jersey Pavement and Asphalt Association, where he acted as liaison between the trade association and municipalities throughout the state regarding road improvement issues. He also served as an assistant to the Deputy Commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Labor and a legislative aide to former Assemblyman Michael Arnone.
Monmouth County Politics
Clifton was the mayor of Matawan from 1996 until 2005. He was appointed mayor in October 1996 upon the resignation of Robert Shuey. In addition, he served on the borough's unified Planning Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment, the Board of Health, and the Monmouth County Board of Drug & Alcohol Abuse Services. He also served as chairman of the Bayshore Conference of Mayors. In order to focus on his position as a newly elected Freeholder, he resigned from his mayoral post on January 18, 2005. As Freeholder, Clifton oversaw Finance and Information Technology which includes Department of Finance, the Monmouth County Improvement Authority, Information Technology Services, Department of Purchasing, Records Management and the County Treasurer. Clifton served three terms on the Board of Chosen Freeholders, elected in 2004, 2007, and 2010. In 2008, he served as Deputy Director of the Board; Clifton was succeeded in that post by John D'Amico, Jr. in 2009. At the January 7, 2010 annual reorganization, he was again chosen as Deputy Director and at the January 6, 2011 annual reorganization, he was chosen as Director of the Monmouth County, New Jersey Board of Chosen Freeholders.
New Jersey Assembly
In 2011, after legislative redistricting, Clifton ran for the Assembly seat in the 12th District that was opened when Samuel D. Thompson ran for New Jersey Senate. He and his running mate Ronald S. Dancer defeated the Democratic candidates, William Spedding and Catherine Tinney Rome, in the general election. He was sworn in on January 10, 2012.
- Housing and Community Development
- Transportation and Independent Authorities
Clifton lives in Matawan with his wife Tracy and his two sons.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 30th District for the 2018-2019 Legislative Session are:
- Senator Samuel D. Thompson (R),
- Assemblyman Ronald S. Dancer (R), and
- Assemblyman Robert D. Clifton (R)
|Republican||Ronald S. Dancer||30,348||29.3||0.2|
|Republican||Robert D. Clifton||29,610||28.5||0.5|
|Libertarian||Anthony J. Storrow||1,016||1.0||N/A|
|Libertarian||Daniel A. Krause||938||0.9||N/A|
|Republican||Ronald S. Dancer||15,164||29.5||3.3|
|Republican||Robert D. Clifton||14,433||28.0||3.7|
|Democratic||David W. Merwin||10,496||20.4||2.9|
|Democratic||Robert P. Kurzydlowski||10,449||20.3||3.7|
|Green||Stephen N. Zielinski Sr.||945||1.8||N/A|
|Republican||Ronald S. Dancer||32,188||32.8||2.5|
|Republican||Robert D. Clifton||31,059||31.7||2.6|
|Democratic||Lawrence J. Furman||17,119||17.5||2.9|
|For the People||Diane Bindler||1,354||1.4||N/A|
|Republican||Ronald S. Dancer||22,345||30.3|
|Republican||Robert D. Clifton||21,469||29.1|
|Democratic||William "Bill" Spedding||15,077||20.4|
|Democratic||Catherine Tinney Rome||14,969||20.3|
- Assemblyman Robert D. Clifton, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed August 9, 2012.
- McGee, Beverly (September 25, 1996). "Matawan Mayor Shuey resigns" (PDF). The Independent (Long Branch). Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Rosenberg, Michelle (January 18, 2005). "Clifton steps down as mayor of Matawan". The Independent (Long Branch). Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Minutes, Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders
- "Turnover in N.J. Legislature is slight". Asbury Park Press. January 10, 2012. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- "Assembly District 12". NJ Spotlight Voter Guide. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- "Assemblyman Rob Clifton - New Jersey Assembly Republicans". New Jersey Assembly Republicans. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Legislative Roster 2018-2019 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 28, 2018.
- District 12 Legislators, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 28, 2018.
- "2017-official-general-election-results-general-assembly.pdf" (PDF). New Jersey Secretary of State. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "2015-official-ge-results-nj-general-assembly.pdf" (PDF). New Jersey Secretary of State. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "2013-official-general-election-results-general-assembly.pdf" (PDF). New Jersey Secretary of State. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "2011-official-gen-elect-gen-assembly-results-121411.pdf" (PDF). New Jersey Secretary of State. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Assemblyman Clifton's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms - 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011
|New Jersey General Assembly|
| Member of the New Jersey General Assembly for the 12th District
January 12, 2012 – present
With: Ronald S. Dancer
Edward J. Stominski
| Monmouth County At-large Freeholder
January 1, 2005 – January 12, 2012
Lillian G. Burry
| Monmouth County Freeholder Director
2011 – 2012
John P. Curley
| Mayor of Matawan, New Jersey
October 1996 – January 18, 2005