List of pageants of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
This list of pageants of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints delineates those annual outdoor theatrical performance produced by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). It is reminiscent of early Christian Pageants which reenacted the world history in processional performance. Latter-day Saint pageants are held outdoors, they are free to the public, and typically last for a two-week period. In December 2018, the LDS Church announced that four pageants will phased out over the next several years.
Official LDS Church Pageants in Production
- Hill Cumorah Pageant, Palmyra, New York (Ending in 2020)
- Mormon Miracle Pageant, Manti, Utah (Ending in 2019)
- Easter Pageant Jesus the Christ, Mesa, Arizona (Temporarily suspended in 2019 and 2020 due to the renovation of the Mesa Temple)
- Nauvoo Pageant (Nauvoo, Illinois)
- Truth Will Prevail (Chorley, Lancashire, England) - starting in 2013, first LDS pageant outside the USA, running 31 July to 10 August. Moved to Nauvoo in 2014 and performed until 2016 jointly with the Nauvoo Pageant on alternate weekdays of the summer. Returned to the UK in 2017 and will be performed every 4 years, beginning in 2021.
- Castle Valley Pageant (Castle Dale, Utah)
- Clarkston Pageant (Clarkston, Utah)
- An informal, indoor pageant called And it Came to Pass used to run in conjunction with the Oakland California Temple, but it was asked to cease production in 2007 by ecclesiastical leaders.
- Walch, Tad (2018-12-05). "Church finalizes pageant decision: 4 to end, 3 to continue". DeseretNews.com. Retrieved 2018-12-09.
- "Locations and Schedules", LDS.org, LDS Church, retrieved 2018-12-09
- "News Release", Newsroom (UK), LDS Church
- "The Martin Harris Pageant".
- Rott, Dale (2005). Intersections Between Theatre and the Church in the United States: 1930-1990. The Journal of Religion and Theatre.
- Ghaznavi, Shanna (July 1999), "Stars under the Sky", New Era, retrieved 2013-02-19
- Rees, Bridget, "LDS Pageants", LDS Living Magazine, archived from the original on 2008-08-28