Lithuanian presidential election, 2009
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
A presidential election was held in Lithuania on 17 May 2009. A run-off election would have been held on 7 June 2009 had one been necessary. European Commissioner Dalia Grybauskaitė was elected with 69 percent of the valid vote and took office on 12 July as the country's first female president.
Candidates to participate
The Electoral Commission registered 14 candidates for participation in the presidential election. Candidates who dropped out of election before the start.
- Speaker of the Seimas Arūnas Valinskas (National Resurrection Party) (withdrew)
- Algirdas Pilvelis (did not collect the needed minimum number of signatures)
- Algimantas Matulevičius (did not collect the minimum needed number of signatures)
- Zigmas Vaišvila (did not collect the minimum needed number of signatures)
- Vidmantas Sadauskas (did not collect the minimum needed number of signatures)
- Vytautas Kundrotas (did not collect the minimum needed number of signatures)
- Jonas Jankauskas (did not collect the minimum needed number of signatures)
- Vladimir Romanov - application rejected.
Candidates for election
Candidates confirmed for election with more than 20 thousands signatures.
- Dalia Grybauskaitė
- Valentinas Mazuronis (Order and Justice)
- Kazimiera Danutė Prunskienė (Former prime minister)
- Česlovas Jazerskas
- Valdemar Tomaševski (Electoral Action of Poles in Lithuania)
- Loreta Graužinienė (Labour Party)
- Algirdas Butkevičius (Social Democratic Party of Lithuania)
|Algirdas Butkevičius||Social Democratic Party of Lithuania||162,665||11.68|
|Valentinas Mazuronis||Order and Justice||84,656||6.08|
|Valdemar Tomaševski||Electoral Action of Poles in Lithuania||65,255||4.68|
|Kazimira Prunskienė||Lithuanian Peasant Popular Union||53,778||3.86|
|Loreta Graužinienė||Labour Party||49,686||3.57|
|Source: Central Election Commission|
- Usackas pulls out of presidential race. Baltictimes.com (17 February 2009). Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- A.Valinskui mesti kaltinimai dėl parašų klastojimo sudomino ir Generalinę prokuratūrą (2 video, dar papildyta). lrytas.lt (31 August 2009). Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- D. Grybauskaitė sieks prezidento posto. Retrieved on 2009-02-26
- Po D.Grybauskaitės apsisprendimo politologai nemato jai konkurencijos. Retrieved on 2009-02-26
- Grybauskaite is Favourite Contender in Lithuania | Angus Reid Public Opinion. Angus-reid.com (11 March 2009). Retrieved 15 May 2012.
|This Lithuanian elections-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|