Liverpool Central Library
The library is located in several adjoining historic buildings on William Brown Street. Its first building was the William Brown Library and Museum building which was completed in 1860 to the designs of John Grey Weightman and which it has always shared with the city's museum, now known as World Museum Liverpool. The library was then extended further to the right with the addition in 1879 of the Picton Reading Room and to the rear with the Hornby Library in 1906. All three of these are Grade II* listed buildings and are built in a classical style similar to other buildings on the street.
750,000 people visited the museum in 2017. In 2018, the library won The Bookseller’s Library of the Year Award.
In May 2008 it was announced that some of the complex of buildings that hold the Central Library were to be demolished and replaced with modern buildings suitable for use with modern IT services. The historic buildings in the complex would be refurbished to provide modern facilities and was designed by the Architects Austin-Smith:Lord. In October 2009 the proposed rebuild was shown to the public.
The main library building on William Brown Street closed on 23 July 2010, while closed, a temporary service operated from next door, on the second floor of Liverpool World Museum. It re-opened to the public on Friday 17 May 2013.
It is a member of the Libraries Together: Liverpool Learning Partnership (evolved from Liverpool Libraries Group) which formed in 1990. Under which, a registered reader at any of the member libraries can have access rights to the other libraries within the partnership.
- "The Brown Testimonial". Evening Mail. England. 19 October 1860. Retrieved 3 March 2017 – via British Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Liverpool Central Library wins The Bookseller's Library of the Year Award 2018 - Liverpool Express". Liverpool Express. 18 July 2018. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- "£50m rebuild for Liverpool's Central Library". Liverpool Echo. 16 May 2008. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "£50m transformation for Liverpool's Central Library (VIDEO)". Liverpool Echo. 30 October 2009. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "Libraries and archives". Liverpool City Council. 23 July 2010. Archived from the original on 7 September 2010. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- "Liverpool's Central Library reopens after £50m facelift". BBC News. 17 May 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "About". Liverpool Libraries Together. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Liverpool Central Library.|
- "Liverpool Central Library website". Archived from the original on 1 January 2012.
- Virtual tour of Liverpool Central Library
- Liverpool Libraries web page
- Images of England:Picton Reading Room and Hornby Library
- Images of England:William Brown Library