He was Member of Parliament successively for Northwich (1974–83) and Eddisbury (1983–99), Goodlad also served as a junior Foreign Office Minister then as Prime Minister John Major's Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury and Chief Whip for which in the 1997 Prime Minister's Resignation Honours he was knighted as a Knight Commander of the Order of St. Michael and St. George (KCMG). Following the 1997 election, he served in the Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Leader of the House of Commons, Shadow Secretary of State for International Development and Opposition Chief Whip.
Membership of Lloyd's of London
Goodlad was an underwriting member of the Lloyd's of London insurance market, commencing in 1977 and ceasing in 1990. His membership coincided in the latter years with the rising tide of asbestos losses and his share is estimated to have been about £90,000.
High Commissioner to Australia
Labour Prime Minister Tony Blair then appointed Goodlad as High Commissioner to Australia. Goodlad accepted the office of Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds on 28 June 1999 to formally vacate his parliamentary seat, triggering the 1999 Eddisbury by-election.
House of Lords
On 19 July 2005, he was created a life peer as Baron Goodlad, of Lincoln in the County of Lincolnshire, and was introduced in the House of Lords the following day. He sits on the Conservative benches and was chairman of the Constitution Select Committee from 2008 to 2010.
In 2007, Goodlad was appointed Chairman of the Britain–Australia Society.
Goodlad married Cecilia Hurst in 1968 and has two sons.
Styles of address
- 1943–1974: Mr Alastair Goodlad
- 1974–1992: Mr Alastair Goodlad MP
- 1992–1997: The Rt Hon. Alastair Goodlad MP
- 1997–1999: The Rt Hon. Sir Alastair Goodlad KCMG MP
- 1999–2000: The Rt Hon. Sir Alastair Goodlad KCMG
- 2000–2005: His Excellency The Rt Hon. Sir Alastair Goodlad KCMG
- 2005: His Excellency The Rt Hon. The Lord Goodlad KCMG PC
- 2005–: The Rt Hon. The Lord Goodlad KCMG PC
- "No. 54850". The London Gazette (Supplement). 2 August 1997. p. 8912.
- "No. 55544". The London Gazette. 6 July 1999. p. 7313.
- "No. 57710". The London Gazette. 22 July 2005. p. 9525.
- House of Lords Minutes of Proceedings for Wednesday 20 July 2005. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- "The Shadow Cabinet" - BBC Election '97
- "Another Tory wooed by Blair" - BBC News
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Alastair Goodlad
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
|New constituency|| Member of Parliament
| Comptroller of the Household
Sir George Young
| Treasurer of the Household
| Government Chief Whip in the Commons
| Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury|
| Shadow Leader of the House of Commons
| Shadow Secretary of State for International Development
|Party political offices|
| Conservative Chief Whip of the House of Commons
| British High Commissioner to Australia