Official Opposition Shadow Cabinet (United Kingdom)
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the United Kingdom
|United Kingdom portal|
The Official Opposition Shadow Cabinet (usually known simply as the 'Shadow Cabinet') is, in British parliamentary practice, senior members of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition who scrutinise their corresponding ministers in the Government, develop alternative policies, and hold the Government to account for its actions and responses. Since May 2010, the Labour Party has been Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, and its leadership therefore forms the current Shadow Cabinet.
Not all Opposition frontbenchers are members of the Shadow Cabinet, which is composed of the most senior Opposition Members (usually around 20).
The Leader of the Opposition, the Opposition Chief Whip and Opposition Deputy Chief Whip are the only Members of the Official Opposition to draw remuneration for their Opposition roles in addition to their salaries as Members of Parliament. The Leader of the Opposition and the Opposition Chief Whip in the House of Lords also receive a salary.
Members of the Shadow Cabinet
The current Shadow Cabinet was announced by the Leader of the Opposition, Jeremy Corbyn, following a small reshuffle in January 2016.
- List of British shadow cabinets
- Official Opposition (United Kingdom)
- Official Opposition frontbench
- List of shadow holders of the Great Offices of State
- Cabinet of the United Kingdom
- British Government frontbench
- Labour Party Shadow Cabinet election, 2010
- Liberal Democrat Frontbench Team
- Government & opposition – official UK Parliament webpage