Official Opposition Shadow Cabinet (United Kingdom)
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the United Kingdom
The Official Loyal Opposition Shadow Cabinet (usually known simply as the 'Shadow Cabinet') is, in British parliamentary practice, senior members of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition who scrutinise their corresponding ministers in the Government, develop alternative policies, and hold the Government to account for its actions and responses. Since May 2010, the Labour Party has been Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, and its leadership therefore forms the current Shadow Cabinet.
Not all Opposition frontbenchers are members of the Shadow Cabinet, which is composed of the most senior Opposition Members (usually around 20).
The Leader of the Opposition, the Opposition Chief Whip and Opposition Deputy Chief Whip are the only Members of the Official Opposition to draw remuneration for their Opposition roles in addition to their salaries as Members of Parliament.
Members of the Shadow Cabinet
The current Shadow Cabinet was announced on 11 May 2015 by Leader of the Opposition Harriet Harman, following the 2015 general election.
- On 27 May 2015, Baroness Smith replaced Baroness Royall of Blaisdon as Leader of the Opposition in the Lords.
- List of British shadow cabinets
- Official Opposition (United Kingdom)
- Official Opposition frontbench
- List of Shadow holders of Great Offices of State
- Cabinet of the United Kingdom
- Her Majesty's Government frontbench
- Labour Party Shadow Cabinet election, 2010
- Liberal Democrat Frontbench Team
- Government & opposition - official UK Parliament webpage