Turilli playing with Luca Turilli's Rhapsody in November 2012.
5 March 1972 |
|Genres||Power metal, neo-classical metal, symphonic metal|
|Instruments||Guitar, keyboards, drums, vocals|
|Associated acts||Rhapsody of Fire
Luca Turilli Band
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody
Luca Turilli's Dreamquest
Luca Turilli (born 5 March 1972) is an Italian musician (primarily a guitarist) and songwriter. He is one of the founders of the symphonic power metal band Rhapsody of Fire. He also worked on a trilogy of solo albums as Luca Turilli, and released one album under the name of Luca Turilli's Dreamquest, a project he worked on alongside Dominique Leurquin. In 2008, Luca began an online guitar course titled Luca Turilli's Neoclassical Revelation. The course takes its name from his neoclassical playing style.
On every Rhapsody of Fire album, Luca is the only lyricist and composes all the music with the keyboardist, Alex Staropoli (except for Il Canto del Vento written, lyrics and music, by the vocalist, Fabio Lione) and plays most of the lead guitars. He composes all the music for both his solo projects. He plays guitars on his solo trilogy and keyboards with Luca Turilli's Dreamquest featuring Dominique Leurquin as the guitarist.
On August 2011, Turilli and Staropoli proceeded to a friendly split. Alex agreed to go on as Rhapsody of Fire, while Luca decided to move on as Luca Turilli's Rhapsody, adding his name on top of the logo because of copyright reasons and old legal settlements and stopping definitely the Luca Turilli band.
Turilli uses custom "Luca Turilli" electric guitars made by the French luthier Christophe Capelli. He has four of them (black, white, blue and red) being part of the first series (Neoclassical Revelation Series) and three of them (black, white and red) being part of the new "Neoclassical revelation 2.0" Series.
Specifications: His new signature guitars feature a DiMarzio Tone Zone pickup in the bridge position and DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck position. They also feature maple necks, 22 fret ebony fingerboards with a custom "Tree of Life" inlays and Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge tremolo systems. The wood used for the body is alder.
He has been known to use Mesa Boogie amplifiers, Line 6 HD147 amplifiers (used for the recording of Triumph or Agony) and Marshall cabs. During his tour in 2011 he has been seeing playing through an ENGL Powerball II. He currently uses ENGL Invader for live performances (seen during the Prometheus tour).
In 1993, Turilli survived cancer at age 21. The same year, he founded the band Thundercross, which was renamed Rhapsody after releasing the first demo, and renamed once again to Rhapsody of Fire for copyright reasons in 2006.
Luca Turilli is influenced by guitarists such as Yngwie Malmsteen and Jason Becker with his neo-classical structuring and phrasing. His lead playing often includes extensive use of sweep picked arpeggios, tremolo picking, classically influenced phrases, and scales such as aeolian, harmonic minor, phrygian mode, locrian, and melodic minor. In his latest albums he introduced new ethnic elements too (Hirajoshi and Pentatonic scales).
- King of the Nordic Twilight (1999)
- Prophet of the Last Eclipse (2002)
- The Infinite Wonders of Creation (2006)
- Lost Horizons (2006)
- Legendary Tales (1997)
- Symphony of Enchanted Lands (1998)
- Dawn of Victory (2000)
- Rain of a Thousand Flames (2001)
- Power of the Dragonflame (2002)
- The Dark Secret (2004) – EP
- The Magic of the Wizard's Dream (2005) - EP
- Symphony of Enchanted Lands II: The Dark Secret (2004)
- Live in Canada 2005: The Dark Secret (2006)
- Triumph or Agony (2006)
- The Frozen Tears of Angels (2010)
- The Cold Embrace of Fear – A Dark Romantic Symphony (2010)
- From Chaos to Eternity (2011)
- Kamelot – Epica (Guitar solo on "Descent of the Archangel")
- Dyslesia - Who Dares Wins (Guitar solo on "Unknown Fighter")
- "Luca Turilli". rhapsodyoffire.com. Retrieved 2010-10-22.
- "Luca Turilli". metal-archives.com. Encyclopaedia Metallum. Retrieved 2010-10-22.
- http://www.epic-metal.com/dreamquest2006/band.php. Missing or empty
- "Neoclassical Guitar Lessons". neoclassicalrevelation.com. Retrieved 2010-10-22.
- https://www.facebook.com/ltrhapsody/posts/765083060177229:0. Retrieved 17 March 2014. Missing or empty
- "Rhapsody - Biografias". Retrieved 5 January 2010.